Brewer Fanatic

Is 2020 Braun’s last year in Milwaukee?

He still hits the ball hard but his plate discipline has been falling apart for years now as is his defense and foot speed. He hasn't even had any real injury concerns this season other than just his normal extra rest. He just hasn't been a very good corner outfielder.

Or at least no injury concerns that we were aware of........until today

So play the final series a man down because...I have no idea why. IL Braun and bring someone else up.

Exactly. He'll miss like 5 games with a 10 day stint right now.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He still hits the ball hard but his plate discipline has been falling apart for years now as is his defense and foot speed. He hasn't even had any real injury concerns this season other than just his normal extra rest. He just hasn't been a very good corner outfielder.

Or at least no injury concerns that we were aware of........until today

It makes sense given how quickly he was taken out despite signaling that he was fine when he slid into the wall.

I’d be for eating 15-17 of the 21 that he’s owed with a trade to the Dodgers or Angels or whoever, and get a more productive player for the four or 5 million saved off his contract.

Yeah, you're ok spending lots of Attanasio's money.

But yeah, that's not gonna happen. The Brewers aren't paying 15-17 million to get rid of Braun, just freeing up 4-5 million sure doesn't guarantee they'll get a better player and the Dodgers and Angels have no need for him. The Dodgers especially, but even the Angels have Kalhoun, Upton and Ohtani manning the corner OF spots and DH.

I'm not blaming the OP, but this is just about the worst thread to bring up while the Brewers are struggling.

I get it that alot of people don't care for Braun because of the ped's and the way he handled it. Not good. He is not our best hitter and never will be again, but name me another better rh hitter on our team.

This is like saying "name me another better RH reliever on our team than Matt Albers."

It says a lot more about the quality of RH bats on our team than it does about Ryan Braun.

I get it that alot of people don't care for Braun because of the ped's and the way he handled it. Not good. He is not our best hitter and never will be again, but name me another better rh hitter on our team.

This is like saying "name me another better RH reliever on our team than Matt Albers."

It says a lot more about the quality of RH bats on our team than it does about Ryan Braun.

Yeah, but it also says we shouldn't be giving him away or in a rush to just dump him.

Yeah, but it also says we shouldn't be giving him away or in a rush to just dump him.

There's not really any dumping him anyway. He's not a tradeable player and he's a sunk cost. So he'll be here in whatever way he can most benefit the team through next season and then they'll move on. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I was gonna say Woodruff but turns out he bats lefty~.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braun is done after 2020 unless he suddenly has a good year. He's an aging hitting with diminishing offensive output, bad defensively - as well as limited defensively.

That's not a player you want on the team any more - even if he's cheap.

He still hits the ball hard but his plate discipline has been falling apart for years now as is his defense and foot speed.

He never had good defensive instincts. His defense in the outfield was entirely speed dependent and as his speed has declined so has his defense. Not really a shock.

He hasn't even had any real injury concerns this season other than just his normal extra rest. He just hasn't been a very good corner outfielder.

He has had injury concerns most of his career. Pretty early on he had nagging oblique issues and that is always a concern.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun's numbers this year since a ton of posters think he's not a starter anymore. Anybody that actually watches the games could easily have seen the numbers below play out in real time.

March 28 - April 7 (32 PA)

281/281/906 (126 wrc+)

April 8 - April 19 (38 PA)

088/162/280 (-26 wrc+)

April 20 - present (231 PA)

300/352/836 (117 wrc+)

I shouldn't be shocked given people that think this of Braun also think Thames isn't performing and Aguilar should be DFA'd. If they looked at the numbers they'd be surprised - like they will be when they see Braun's numbers above. From my perspective, it boils down to people having this preconceived notion of each player for various reasons and looking for every little negative thing they can to confirm their belief.

Braun's numbers this year since a ton of posters think he's not a starter anymore. Anybody that actually watches the games could easily have seen the numbers below play out in real time.

281/281/906 (126 wrc+)

088/162/280 (-26 wrc+)

300/352/836 (117 wrc+)

I shouldn't be shocked given people that think this of Braun also think Thames isn't performing and Aguilar should be DFA'd. If they looked at the numbers they'd be surprised - like they will be when they see Braun's numbers above. From my perspective, it boils down to people having this preconceived notion of each player for various reasons and looking for every little negative thing they can to confirm their belief.

So he has essentially been a league average hitter with below average defense who needs a good amount of time off. Not really a starter at this point in his career.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

281/281/906 (126 wrc+)

088/162/280 (-26 wrc+)

300/352/836 (117 wrc+)

So he has essentially been a league average hitter with below average defense who needs a good amount of time off. Not really a starter at this point in his career.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d22a38a694e334c45709c7d&rid=giphy.gif

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

281/281/906 (126 wrc+)

088/162/280 (-26 wrc+)

300/352/836 (117 wrc+)

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d22a38a694e334c45709c7d&rid=giphy.gif

I LOL’d at that one because that’s all you can do. Apparently a brutal 10 game stretch in mid-April renders his 120 area wrc+ the rest of the first half meaningless making him a league average hitter. He also has a positive DRS (1) in LF so there’s that as well. His defense no doubt is regressing but he’s still easily an average LF with a good accurate arm. Also, he’s on pace for 538 PA, which amounts to starting 3 of every 4 games. He’s 35 and has always had nagging injuries so I’d say that’s a pretty good pace.

Maybe Logan82 should reread my last sentence in previous post because he’s proving my point.

I LOL’d at that one because that’s all you can do. Apparently a brutal 10 game stretch in mid-April renders his 120 area wrc+ the rest of the first half meaningless making him a league average hitter. He also has a positive DRS (1) in LF so there’s that as well. His defense no doubt is regressing but he’s still easily an average LF with a good accurate arm. Also, he’s on pace for 538 PA, which amounts to starting 3 of every 4 games. He’s 35 and has always had nagging injuries so I’d say that’s a pretty good pace.

Maybe Logan82 should reread my last sentence in previous post because he’s proving my point.

You can't take out a 10 game stretch. Every player would look a lot better if you took out their worst 10 game stretch.

And if you want to break it up like that you can say he's been bad two out of the three months this year.

March/April: .196/.250/.381

May: .363/.427/.588

June/July: .275/.302/.422

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Or just look at the whole thing. Ryan Braun is hitting 272/321/455/776 for the whole season. That puts him at the 20th best LFer or 45th in the OF in the entire MLB. Of those 45 OFers, 10 others have fewer ABs than Braun. Ryan has 280 ABs. These 45 OFers range from 240-360 ABs (Yelich has 304).

So, while not the top of MLB OFers anymore, he still is starting caliber. Just bottom third...

And he'd be the 17th best 1B offensively in the MLB.

Or just look at the whole thing. Ryan Braun is hitting 272/321/455/776 for the whole season. That puts him at the 20th best LFer or 45th in the OF in the entire MLB. Of those 45 OFers, 10 others have fewer ABs than Braun. Ryan has 280 ABs. These 45 OFers range from 240-360 ABs (Yelich has 304).

So, while not the top of MLB OFers anymore, he still is starting caliber. Just bottom third...

You can't just look at one's entire season and say that's exactly how that player has performed. It's like looking at a pen arm with a 4.21 ERA and saying that's exactly the type of pitcher he is but when you look at the game logs you see they have a 2.52 ERA through 25 innings of work so far this season but had 2 brutal outings spanning .2ip, 5ER - which is why the ERA is 4.21 and significantly higher. Disregarding 97% of this player's performance this year and chalking them up to the quality of a 4.21 ERA pen arm is utter nonsense. It's baseball. There's ups and downs for everyone. It's about consistency. And Braun had a worthless 10 game stretch in mid-April otherwise he's been around a 120 WRC+ performer this year.

I can't believe that needed to be explained.

You can't take out a 10 game stretch. Every player would look a lot better if you took out their worst 10 game stretch.

And if you want to break it up like that you can say he's been bad two out of the three months this year.

March/April: .196/.250/.381

May: .363/.427/.588

June/July: .275/.302/.422

Except he hasn't been a bad month. He's had a brutal 10 game stretch within a month causing the overall numbers to drop hard. CONSISTENCY is the name of the game. Game logs matter the most. What are they doing from game to game and week to week. The month and full season is what it builds up to but those numbers don't tell the story. Like else anything numbers related, you have to play in the weeds to figure it out.

THIS GOES FOR EVERY PLAYER, including pitchers. A starting pitcher can have 5 starts in a month and pitch great in 4 of them and toss up a season's worst outing making that entire month look nothing like it actually was.

Braun has a 0.6 WAR this year and he is right in line with projections and recent year performance. He isn't a particular valuable player anymore, no matter how you want to break the numbers down. He is still here because he has a large contract through next year.

And goodness, the cherry picking a bad stretch out of someone's stats this year is getting really out of hand. Braun's production is what it is this year. You can "dig through the weeds" on almost any player, cherry pick a bad stretch, polish them right up and make them look good. It's been done excessively this season, with numerous players. No, consistency is not the most important thing, production is. We've got consistent players on the team, but most of them (Cain, for example), have been consistently mediocre this season.

Braun is actually not very consistent at this point in his career at all. He'll have a great stretch when he swings a great bat, then he'll have an awful stretch, and if you really "dig through the weeds" you can find more of those than just that one 10 game stretch this year.

Braun has a 0.6 WAR this year and he is right in line with projections and recent year performance. He isn't a particular valuable player anymore, no matter how you want to break the numbers down. He is still here because he has a large contract through next year.

And goodness, the cherry picking a bad stretch out of someone's stats this year is getting really out of hand. Braun's production is what it is this year. You can "dig through the weeds" on almost any player, cherry pick a bad stretch, polish them right up and make them look good. It's been done excessively this season, with numerous players. No, consistency is not the most important thing, production is. We've got consistent players on the team, but most of them (Cain, for example), have been consistently mediocre this season.

Braun is actually not very consistent at this point in his career at all. He'll have a great stretch when he swings a great bat, then he'll have an awful stretch, and if you really "dig through the weeds" you can find more of those than just that one 10 game stretch this year.

Good take.

Overall, as you said, he’s produced, but inconsistently, as he is well past prime, so I believe should be expected. When he’s hot, he’s hot, when he’s not, he can be really bad, swinging at 3 breaking balls in the same at bat and missing the ball by 2-3 feet on every swing. But when he’s on, he’s still a lot of fun to watch hit.

You can't just look at one's entire season and say that's exactly how that player has performed. It's like looking at a pen arm with a 4.21 ERA and saying that's exactly the type of pitcher he is but when you look at the game logs you see they have a 2.52 ERA through 25 innings of work so far this season but had 2 brutal outings spanning .2ip, 5ER - which is why the ERA is 4.21 and significantly higher. Disregarding 97% of this player's performance this year and chalking them up to the quality of a 4.21 ERA pen arm is utter nonsense. It's baseball. There's ups and downs for everyone. It's about consistency. And Braun had a worthless 10 game stretch in mid-April otherwise he's been around a 120 WRC+ performer this year.

Isn't that how most people assess how well someone did in any given season? Sure all players have bad stretches but the good players have an equally good stretch to even it out. My worry is Braun might not be capable of that anymore. If he's average on a good day and still has bad days I'm not sure that is good enough for a team that wants to go to the playoffs.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member

Wow. I don't know how anybody can say that Braun hasn't been consistent. We've never had a player more consistent than him. Every other productive player we've ever had (other than Yelich, Grandal, and Moustakas--all of whom we've barely had long enough to ever get into a real slump) since Fielder left the team has had month+ long stretches that are far worse than any month+ long stretch Braun has ever been through.

You know, guys in the prime of their careers like Santana, Thames, Aguilar, Shaw, Cain, Arcia, Pina, Segura, Villar, Lucroy, and Gomez. I think that is everybody.

Braun isn't bad, he puts up some decent offensive numbers, but I would hope 2020 is his last year here. Pretty low standards to trot out a poor defender that is good for about 1 WAR a season in like 450 ABs. If he could play more than the least valuable spot on the diamond that would sure help, but he really can't.

I don't know if he has the offense good enough to even try RF/1B again to give him some versatility. I bet a team would give him a shot to do it...but I would also bet said team isn't a good team so that really isn't saying much.

If you are looking to go places in October Braun starting in LF or being a horrendous corner OF/1B bench bat is not really an inspiring start.

• 1 year later...

Archived