Brewer Fanatic

Is 2020 Braun’s last year in Milwaukee?

We're gonna have an argument about Braun juicing like 9 years after the fact? Lol.

It's not the juicing that's the problem. I'm sure a lot of players use PED's and never get caught and we will never think less of them. And a lot of players get caught and take their punishment and move on.

The problem is the lying and pointing the finger of blame at an innocent man. Huge difference. I can't think of another guilty PED user not named Lance Armstrong who went to greater lengths to deceive the public into thinking he was clean and vilify the people who supported a contrary view.

For the most part I had let it go. I actually never have booed Braun. I've also never cheered him. But when I hear people say he "deserves" a Miller Park send off I see red. The man is no hero.

Ignorant to the fact Braun was backed in to this corner when ESPN guy leaked what was supposed to remain behind closed doors that he was voted innocent in Arb process due to the story Braun now had to tell. To this day nobody but MLB and Braun would know of his test that popped positive. You're basically saying the hate you have for Braun is him telling the truth of why his test popped positive and he was found not guilty by MLB arbitrators. I don't blame him for his actions when he was betrayed by a media snitch disobeying MLB rules. Can you tell me another time you have heard of a player who was innocent to a popped PED? No? Maybe because they all remained behind closed doors, as Braun,s should have.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn’t give him a round of applause because I think he’s the greatest human alive, although he’s done a 180 in his personal life it seems. I would stand and clap because he’s given the Brewers countless memories of great baseball moments. On top of that, a person making a mistake and coming out the other side of it a better human is a great thing. Braun seems to have done that with his family and definitely all his efforts in both communities he’s a part of. So yeah, a fan send off and a few more clutch moments would be a great way to have Braun go out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We're gonna have an argument about Braun juicing like 9 years after the fact? Lol.

It's not the juicing that's the problem. I'm sure a lot of players use PED's and never get caught and we will never think less of them. And a lot of players get caught and take their punishment and move on.

The problem is the lying and pointing the finger of blame at an innocent man. Huge difference. I can't think of another guilty PED user not named Lance Armstrong who went to greater lengths to deceive the public into thinking he was clean and vilify the people who supported a contrary view.

For the most part I had let it go. I actually never have booed Braun. I've also never cheered him. But when I hear people say he "deserves" a Miller Park send off I see red. The man is no hero.

Ignorant to the fact Braun was backed in to this corner when ESPN guy leaked what was supposed to remain behind closed doors that he was voted innocent in Arb process due to the story Braun now had to tell. To this day nobody but MLB and Braun would know of his test that popped positive. You're basically saying the hate you have for Braun is him telling the truth of why his test popped positive and he was found not guilty by MLB arbitrators. I don't blame him for his actions when he was betrayed by a media snitch disobeying MLB rules. Can you tell me another time you have heard of a player who was innocent to a popped PED? No? Maybe because they all remained behind closed doors, as Braun,s should have.

Can you expand on this more? I don't know if I fully know this story, or I'm just not remembering.

Braun was not found "innocent" by an arbitration panel, that is just not accurate. There is a big difference between innocence and acquittal. Braun's acquittal was based primarily off chain of custody. It was not based off a presumption of innocence.

You are correct in saying that the process should have remained confidential and if the confidentiality had remained in place than the failed test result should have never come to light in the first place based on the eventual acquittal. However, Braun's reputation still would have been tarnished eventually based on the 2013 Biogenesis scandal.

Can you expand on this more? I don't know if I fully know this story, or I'm just not remembering.

Long story short - and I'm probably forgetting something - but the result of drug tests are secret until a second confirmed positive test or an actual punishment is handed down (one of these - I may be a little off, but you get the gist). Braun's initial positive test was leaked (no pun intended, but definitely enjoyed), which started the drama with him lying about it, the criticism of the specimen handler, etc. As brewcrew said, Braun even won an arbitration hearing on it.

If the positive test wasn't leaked, the worst thing that would have happened would have been Braun maybe eventually tested positive again, get suspended, done. But when news leaked without any actual announcement or action by MLB, Braun probably felt backed into a corner and decided to mount his public defense.

Now, some of the way he defended himself was questionable for sure, but I don't blame him for trying. I don't think most of us would have been like, "Welp, even though MLB hasn't said anything and there is no public proof, yup, I did PEDs."

Blaming the collector was a crappy move, there is no rationalizing it. wish he had just said nothing other than he would have no comment on what was supposed to be a confidential process, was pleased about his exoneration, and wanted to focus on baseball. However, just because someone does something crappy doesn't make them a crappy person. People make mistakes and do bad things.

For what it's worth, I believe Braun has made amends with the collector who has forgiven him. If the collector is over it, I see no reason not to be.

He got what he deserved. Sure, it got leaked on him...but he was the one fighting the positive test on a technicality with no science to actually back it up. It isn't like the seal was tampered with or something. Karma rightfully got him a few years later. I don't see him really wrongfully treated these days. Most fans have gotten over it, even opposing fans. You are never going to please everyone...people hated Braun before.

Blaming the collector was a crappy move, there is no rationalizing it. wish he had just said nothing other than he would have no comment on what was supposed to be a confidential process, was pleased about his exoneration, and wanted to focus on baseball. However, just because someone does something crappy doesn't make them a crappy person. People make mistakes and do bad things.

For what it's worth, I believe Braun has made amends with the collector who has forgiven him. If the collector is over it, I see no reason not to be.

Wasn't the mishandling of the specimens the reason the arbitration panel voted in his favor? If I recall correctly, the collector took the samples from the stadium, and instead of delivering them directly to FedEx as he was supposed to, he brought them home for the weekend before delivering them to FedEx on Monday.

Anything could have happened to these samples over the weekend. Because the chain of custody was blatantly breached, the evidence wasn't valid, and the arbitration panel voted in Braun's favor.

I'd bet that any police officer, lawyer, or judge would tell you that chain of custody is pretty important for evidence. Everyone involved in this proceeding (MLB, the players union, Braun) should be upset over how the collector mishandled evidence. He had a simple task and he failed miserably, and that's why Braun won his hearing.

The arbitration panel is apparently made up of three people. One is named by MLB, and that person has never voted in a player's favor. One is named by the union, and that person has never voted against a player. One is "independent," so that person is really the one who makes the decision. The person in Braun's case had done a lot of cases and had never voted in a player's favor until he voted in Braun's favor. Selig didn't like the verdict, so he fired the "independent" judge after his decision in the Braun hearing.

But Braun didn't get "convicted" for that instance, he won his hearing and was allowed to continue playing. He got in trouble when his name was found on a piece of paper in the Biogenesis proceedings. The Miami Herald, which broke the story and who had all of the data from Biogenesis, left Braun's name out of their story because after looking at all of the information from Biogenesis they didn't think he was guilty. Selig found out about Braun's name, threatened a lawsuit that would bankrupt the owner of Biogenesis, and only called off the lawsuit when the owner read the statement MLB prepared for him. After this, Braun had to make his apology and serve his suspension, or he probably would have been banned from baseball for life.

I have no idea if Braun did HGH, he probably did. I do think that Selig used "mob tactics" to do everything he could to make sure that Braun was suspended, and I lost a lot of respect for how he handled this whole thing.

This is all from memory of events that happened a long time ago, so fire away if my memory is off, or I'm forgetting something.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The way I've always looked at it is he got caught cheating. He then doubled down trying to save his reputation and got called out on that. When he got Rodgers involved to vouch for him, and then the truth came out, that was ugly. I'm sure that burnt that bridge. I've said this on here many times, I almost feel bad for Braun in the end. He did it to himself, but he seemed to come out of all this almost broken. Maybe it was a shot of humility that he needed. He just never seemed like the same person. I also don't think he needed to use PEDs, he was a great hitter. I know he was probably playing with more energy, staying healthy, and getting the mental boost that comes along with the confidence. I'll look back on his time here and remember many of the good times, but again, will always feel bad for him. He would have been celebrated as one of the all time Brewers, but now it will never be the same.

Bottom line is that Braun was a really good player for a long time, he got caught doing something against the rules, screwed up the response, seems like a good dude and teammate otherwise, and it will be weird for him to not be on the team anymore.

Braun was the guinea pig. He was the first player of any consequence to be caught by a PED test. There was no template for him to follow, he became the template for what NOT to do after testing positive and being suspended.

People want to blame him for the collector losing his job or whatever. That's not why though, he was fired because he screwed up. It's understandable how and why what he did went down the way it did but it was a huge mistake waiting to happen due to the procedure not being meticulously nailed down beforehand and that guy was the casualty. I understand he caught a lot of hostile treatment from angry fans that went way too far by tracking down where he lived and stuff like that, that says more about those people than it does Braun. Does anybody really think that guy wasn't going to get exposed if Braun never mentioned him (he didn't even use the guy's name)? Seriously? Come on, be smarter than that. That guy was screwed the second the story hit the headlines.

Anyway, baseball fans "hate" players around the league for various reasons, who am I to say hating a guy for doing PEDs is any different? I don't like lots of dudes, Yadi Molina comes to mind. I guess if I can "hate" him, others can "hate" Braun. But he's more than ok in my book.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

He should have shut up and said "we'll play this out in the appeals process." Then the chain of command thing would have come into play, and people would have doubted the validity of the process. Instead he had to open his mouth and give that dramatic speech on camera, where he didn't just do that, he gave an EXTREMELY convincing presentation on his innocence. And he knew it was all a lie.

Then it became "He got off on a technicality, everyone knows he did it." Because he didn't get off proving he didn't cheat, he got off on a technicality. His own speech set a much higher threshold for his innocence than he would have had to prove.

I couldn't care less about any of it though.

something i hadn't considered until today . . . if the brewers have a covid outbreak, they can activate any player in the organization (or perhaps any player in their 75-man collective player pool), without having to concern themselves with 40-man roster status of the replacement player. it should be noted that the 75-man cpp can be fluid, without ramifications of losing control of the player.

could ryan braun emerge as such a replacement? perhaps he signs a deal with the brewers as a consultant, but finds a way to stay in playing shape.

i realize that such an outcome with braun is unlikely, and it's dependent on a club outbreak . . . but it certainly adds an angle that normally wouldn't be available . . .

[sarcasm]I think the Mets gave Jed Lowrie a one-game send off to thank him for his $20 million contributions.[/sarcasm]

(Just kidding, he appeared in nine but actually started zero games for the Mets (!!))

A one game send-off? Does that ever actually occur in MLB? Maybe it does and I just haven't paid attention. I cannot think of one particular instance.

Ichiro ended his career by playing the two game Tokyo Series with the Mariners to open the 2019 season.

Picking up Braun at midsession seems possible. He’s been sitting half the time anyway up til then in the past few seasons. If they are in it, sure, why not? It’s not probable, just possible. Both sides might be motivated to do it.

A one game send-off? Does that ever actually occur in MLB? Maybe it does and I just haven't paid attention. I cannot think of one particular instance.

Darlings of the franchise usually don't end their career playing games with no fans. It was a lame way to go out. If they are sitting 15 games under

.500 in August I don't see the harm in letting him play outfield to start an inning just to get subbed out. Weird but harmless.

Darlings of the franchise usually don't end their career playing games with no fans. It was a lame way to go out. If they are sitting 15 games under

.500 in August I don't see the harm in letting him play outfield to start an inning just to get subbed out. Weird but harmless.

I would say that applies to every MLB player on their way out, not just darlings. There isn't any precedent.

IMO if he's back, it'll be to play. Even if it just means being in more of a PH role for a month or two at the end of the season.

Archived