Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-04: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 1-0 -- Brewers held to two hits as they’re shutout for second consecutive game]

Eye Black
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we gonna' be burned by Burnes?

If so, it's a shame!

He has good enough stuff ... why are his outcomes so rough?

Location?

Some of it is pitch sequencing.

You get a head of a guy 0-2 with sliders away the last thing you want to do is throw fastball on the outer half. And I'm pretty sure that's what they intended cuz that's where the catcher sets up.

When you got upper 90s gas you got to get him off of the stuff away by busting hitters inside or up.

I continue to be surprised by how slow Arcia is.......although I certainly should be used to it by now....

I thought it was Cain for some reason and thought "he's going to beat that out". Then I saw it was Arcia who either doesn't hustle or is just plain slow.

Not very many "DJ coaching a bad one today" jokes floating around the last two games.

Our starters have been great the last 2 games too........should we talk about how good Haines has been?

Castillo was great today.......but he wasn't at Miller Park when we rocked him.......same pitcher different day

It's almost like the pitchers and hitters are more responsible for their results then the coaches are......

Not very many "DJ coaching a bad one today" jokes floating around the last two games.

Our starters have been great the last 2 games too........should we talk about how good Haines has been?

Castillo was great today.......but he wasn't in Miller Park.......same pitcher different day

It's almost like the pitchers and hitters are more responsible for their results then the coaches are......

That wasn't my point. Pitching coaches can't be judged on a day to day basis, that's all I'm saying, and yes,losing DJ has made a difference. No one said hitters and pitchers aren't responsible too, it can be both.

So no, I wouldn't say Hook ( you said Haines but I'm guessing you meant Hook) has been great based on today, and I wouldn't say DJ has been great based on today. I would judge the entire season body of work which is a night and day difference between the two.

DJ is doing well with the Reds but he is also working with a better starting rotation. He has a legit ace and 4 pretty solid starters. I don't follow them closely but their rotation has seemed quite healthy. The Brewers on the otherhand put their hopes in 3 young guys and only one panned out. Chacin, anderson, Gonzalez have all missed time. The mistake seems to be Stearns and Counsel believing they could trust Burnes and Peralta instead going after guys like Gray and Roark

Edit - this doesnt begin to factor in how much losing Knebel and having Jeffress injured and then regress has hurt how this team approached pitching. They don't have the bullpen to go with short starts.

Archived