Brewer Fanatic

Nelson to IL Burnes recalled

markedman5

Not a bit surprising.

Hope he can turn it around. Won't be one bit surprised if he cannot.

Jimmy Nelson is Exhibit A for why we need a DH in the NL. A stupid slide back to the bag may have cost him a great career. Protect the pitchers!

Not a bit surprising.

Jimmy Nelson is Exhibit A for why we need a DH in the NL. A stupid slide back to the bag may have cost him a great career. Protect the pitchers!

Yup, the velocities looked off. Every single one. It's a shame.

Will be interesting to see how he tries to carve out a career from here. He's had a long road back and he's still not back. The welcome back tweet where he said something to the effect of, no matter the results, didn't have a good ring to it. Like, he doesn't trust his stuff/arm yet.

I was sort of wondering if they originally optioned him to AAA so they could wait and see if he got injured before getting his 5th year for service time in. Of course if it's major it doesn't matter but sometimes guys coming back from major surgery have other injuries that sets them back longer. Bummer for Jimmy.

This is tough to swallow and I've been worrying about this all offseason/season. It's usually such a bumpy road back, trying to get normal after a major shoulder surgery. I hope this is just a setback that he can overcome. I hope he can get back and be effective in the majors. Some can get through it, some can't. I think I'm finally going to let go of my hopes of him being a dominant starter again. My new hopes are that he can get through this and still be starter for many years. My other hope is, he reinvents himself in the bullpen, and becomes good there. Either way, I wish him the best in this tough time.

isn't there anyone better that they could have brought up?

Burnes can't go in the rotation. it would be best for him to make regular starts in San Antonio.

personally i'd recall Smith

I've read that Burnes won't be stretched back out this year. He's a reliever the rest of the year.

The injuries and lack of performance for this team is getting comical. Maybe Burnes can get his era into the 7’s now
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Feel bad for Nelson after working for so long to make it back and to get news like this. Hopefully it ends up being not serious, but there is very real concern about his elbow. It’ll be very disappointing if his career is cut short right when he turned the corner and looked like he was going to be leading the staff for years to come. The DH can’t come to the NL soon enough.

isn't there anyone better that they could have brought up?

Burnes can't go in the rotation. it would be best for him to make regular starts in San Antonio.

personally i'd recall Smith

I've read that Burnes won't be stretched back out this year. He's a reliever the rest of the year.

This I hate. Burnes isn't ready for any part of the rotation if we are trying to contend. Right now, while being a playoff team we don't look like a contending team because this staff is struggling mightily. That being said, Burnes is a starter. We did this with Woodruff 2 year ago. Brought him up, assumed he was ready, he wasn't quite ready. 2018 he worked in the minors. 2019 was his year. I feel like Burnes is the same kind of situation. 2019 is not the year, its 2021. He doesn't get there by throwing out of the pen. He's got a starters mix, he got a taste of the MLB, now let him figure out how to pitch there.

Frankly, the way this season is going... He should be starting somewhere. The majors isn't going to be fruitful, but he certainly shouldn't be in the MLB in the pen.

When are they actually going to let Wilkerson START. We know Peralta has the struggle with starting but is filthy out of the pen. Wilkerson has been the opposite. He's comfortable starting. Being in the 5 day rhythm. He's proven worthless as a long man. Let him start or move on.

I'm still not overly concerned about Burnes. Needs to sort out the FB command, but his stuff is simply too good to continue to be punished this way. There's a strong correlation between high strikeout rate and *lower* HR/FB rates and lower BABIP. Burnes has an elite strikeout rate, and we've all seen his stuff. This won't continue. I know I've been saying it for a while, but in the grand scheme of things 40 innings still isn't much. I'm confident he'll have a RoS ERA below 4. Which still will leave him with a horrible overall ERA for the season, but but can't change what's happened, only look forward.

The bullpen needs help too and Burnes hasn't given up a run in 9 AAA innings. I don't really want to see him out there right now either but he has better stuff than a lot of other candidates we have, if he can put it together he can be an asset in the 2nd half.

Not a bit surprising.

If it had beed Yelich this year would you be calling for automatic pinch runners?

I'm still not overly concerned about Burnes. Needs to sort out the FB command, but his stuff is simply too good to continue to be punished this way. There's a strong correlation between high strikeout rate and *lower* HR/FB rates and lower BABIP. Burnes has an elite strikeout rate, and we've all seen his stuff. This won't continue. I know I've been saying it for a while, but in the grand scheme of things 40 innings still isn't much. I'm confident he'll have a RoS ERA below 4. Which still will leave him with a horrible overall ERA for the season, but but can't change what's happened, only look forward.

It's not just FB command. Burnes can't throw his "stuff" for strikes when he needs it. He gets behind in the count and has to come in with a FB that catches too much of the plate and the Brewer OFs watch another ball sail out of the park. He has shown the same thing as a reliever. He needs to stay in AAA and get his mechanics corrected to where he was last year.

The bullpen needs help too and Burnes hasn't given up a run in 9 AAA innings. I don't really want to see him out there right now either but he has better stuff than a lot of other candidates we have, if he can put it together he can be an asset in the 2nd half.

But do you shove talent into a need (where he's not succeeding) or play the long game. I play the long game on Burnes. Peralta Hader there is reason to point to the pen. 1 success 2 pitch mix. Burnes there is no reason to put him in the pen but a short term need for bodies.

I have said before I thought Peralta and Burnes should be starting in AAA but with JJ and Guerra's recent struggles and Houser being at least for now moved to the rotation we need to find some arms. I have more faith in them to improve than Williams/Barnes but none of the options are great right now.

It's not just FB command. Burnes can't throw his "stuff" for strikes when he needs it. He gets behind in the count and has to come in with a FB that catches too much of the plate and the Brewer OFs watch another ball sail out of the park. He has shown the same thing as a reliever. He needs to stay in AAA and get his mechanics corrected to where he was last year.

He has been much better than that 9 ERA, and that'll show going forward even if nothing changes. And I'm fairly certain it will. All we can do is wait and see.

Since the crew has decided to NOT start Burnes again this year, he needs to pitch in high leverage pressure packed situations as much as possible. Outside of Hader and maybe Jeffress, he’s got the best stuff and imo, is the anti-Barnes, keep him as far away from mop up low leverage situations as possible.

Archived