Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez DFA

How much longer do we wait to see if anyone claims Perez?

Tues. will be the 7th day. I believe they are trying to work out a trade because somebody claimed him. No evidence, but I think somebody would want him. If not HP goes to San Antonio to keep his pay.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Tues. will be the 7th day. I believe they are trying to work out a trade because somebody claimed him. No evidence, but I think somebody would want him. If not HP goes to San Antonio to keep his pay.

The DFA occurred last Thursday evening, so wouldn’t the 7th day be Wednesday?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The DFA occurred last Thursday evening, so wouldn’t the 7th day be Wednesday?

Yup you're right.

I think Saladino over Dubon is simply MLB familiarity at this point in time - Dubon will eventually be called up or who knows, potentially traded.

If Dubon doesn't come up, he can be a PTBNL, correct?

I’ve seen a couple mentions of there being cheaper options. Since MLB contracts are guaranteed, if no one else claims him, aren’t we stuck with his salary anyway? What if he clears waivers and rejects assignment to the minors?

Meanwhile, Saladino is now 0 for 12 with 6 K's. Am I off base in thinking the Giants have asked for Arcia as the return for Will Smith and the Brewers are looking at their alternatives at SS? Brandon Crawford is 32 and having an awful year for them.

I’ve seen a couple mentions of there being cheaper options. Since MLB contracts are guaranteed, if no one else claims him, aren’t we stuck with his salary anyway? What if he clears waivers and rejects assignment to the minors?
I

From what the radio said yesterday; If nobody claims Perez he could accept an assignment to San Antonio and the Brewers would pay his entire salary. If he rejects the assignment and thereby becomes a free agent, the Brewers owe him nothing.

Meanwhile, Saladino is now 0 for 12 with 6 K's. Am I off base in thinking the Giants have asked for Arcia as the return for Will Smith and the Brewers are looking at their alternatives at SS? Brandon Crawford is 32 and having an awful year for them.

Saladino = Nate Orf. You be the judge.

I think if the Giants had asked for Arcia, the Brewers would have brought up Dubon to play SS if they had any thought of making that trade. Saladino came up because of his versatility and to be the 5th OF if needed. He hadn't played much SS in San Antonio prior to being called up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well Saladino is proving so far that AAA stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. He was hitting very well at San Antonio, but we all know what he is ... a streaky/poor slap hitter who is versatile on defense. If Hernan Perez went down to San Antonio, I have no doubt that he'd hit .325.

That said, I think it is growing closer to time to give Dubon a shot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not going to say saladino is going to light the world on fire, but 12 at-bats seems to me like a small sample size. He did have a 701 OPS last year in 130 plate appearances and he did hit five home runs.

I would expect over time for him to put up a line pretty similar to Arcia. Not that that really solved any offensive issues but 12 bats and making a judgment seems pretty rash

I

From what the radio said yesterday; If nobody claims Perez he could accept an assignment to San Antonio and the Brewers would pay his entire salary. If he rejects the assignment and thereby becomes a free agent, the Brewers owe him nothing.

I don't know, that doesn't sound right. It seems to me there is always a veteran every year that takes their time to pick the team they want to go to after being DFAd. And those teams are just paying the prorated minimum wage for the rest of the year.

I'm not going to say saladino is going to light the world on fire, but 12 at-bats seems to me like a small sample size. He did have a 701 OPS last year in 130 plate appearances and he did hit five home runs.

I would expect over time for him to put up a line pretty similar to Arcia. Not that that really solved any offensive issues but 12 bats and making a judgment seems pretty rash

I don't think their lines would be similar. At best, Saladino may have slightly better Avg/OBP, but he definitely wouldn't match Arcia's slugging. I mean Saladino isn't a big mystery, he was up for a stretch last year and we know what he is.

As for shopping Arcia, they very well could be. They have nobody left in the minors who could be a headliner in a trade, so if they want one of the big name SP they will need to offer guys like Arcia, Peralta, Burnes.

Not bringing Dubon up doesn't prove anything, as they wouldn't do that until Arcia is actually traded. Until then, they don't want to bounce Dubon back and forth. Just keep him in AAA until he has a full time spot in Milwaukee, or is traded. Even is they bring Dubon up this year to be the UT guy, they likely want more ABs under his belt before they bring him up to help with the transition of not playing every day.

Making rash and definitive judgments based on the tiniest of sample sizes seems to be a very popular thing to do around here. And well, with fans in general. Like how Woodruff wasn't a starter based on his 2016 ERA in that role, or how Chacin was the worst signing ever a couple of starts into his tenure. And even when it's not SSS-related, the conviction in the hot takes is the same. I remember the reactions to the Wade Miley signing. Or whoever it was calling for Stearns' head for not signing Alex Cobb. And no, it's not about being wrong about those things (I mean it's not like anyone thought Miley would do what he did, not even those who liked the move), everyone is wrong a lot of the time, it's more about how the reactions are so strong, based on so little, and with no regard for the possibility that they might be wrong.

Anyway, to bring it back to the original topic; Grandal started 0-12, and he has been pretty good since. Yelich had something similar (Or maybe it was 1-20 or sth?) just this past week. I don't expect Saladino to hit like them, obviously, but stretches like this happen all the time. This one just happens to be the first at bats after being called up to replace a popular player.

I'm thinking Dubon might be part of a trade package being worked out, and they don't want to risk having him go to the show and struggle & lower his trade value
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It's been proven here many times that 12 AB is sufficient for an accurate judgement. (Especially if those at bats fit your expectation.)

I'm thinking Dubon might be part of a trade package being worked out, and they don't want to risk having him go to the show and struggle & lower his trade value

If that's the case (and it very well could be), they wouldn't want to call Dubon up at all whether he struggles or rakes at the MLB level - the value would be holding him in AAA until a deal is done to keep his MLB service time clock from starting.

Perez got dumped more because Arcia and not himself in my opinion (though he obviously didn’t play well). They obviously aren’t happy with Arcia, especially his defense. With that being said they wanted someone else to get time at SS, but Perez isn’t great defensively there. Saladino is a better defensive utility player and I don’t think the offensive difference will be much. I guess what I am trying to say is Perez wouldn’t have been DFA’d if Arcia was playing well, especially defensively.

Dubon isn’t up because they view him as a potential starter, not a utility player. Makes more sense to keep him down getting consistent playing time. They could trade him, but that isn’t why they are keeping him down.

Perez got dumped more because Arcia and not himself in my opinion (though he obviously didn’t play well). They obviously aren’t happy with Arcia, especially his defense. With that being said they wanted someone else to get time at SS, but Perez isn’t great defensively there. Saladino is a better defensive utility player and I don’t think the offensive difference will be much. I guess what I am trying to say is Perez wouldn’t have been DFA’d if Arcia was playing well, especially defensively.

Dubon isn’t up because they view him as a potential starter, not a utility player. Makes more sense to keep him down getting consistent playing time. They could trade him, but that isn’t why they are keeping him down.

I mostly agree with you on Perez, I think most here seem to think Perez and Saladino are a push defensively...they are not. Saladino is better.

I do think there's a decent chance Dubon is being kept down and we intend to use him as a trade chip. It's tough to imagine the Brewers not targeting Stroman or Bumgarner or someone...a veteran starting pitcher that we can trust to go 6-7 innings and limit the damage most of the time.

Unless they plan on dealing Arcia or turning him into a utility IF, Dubon doesn't have a spot on the Brewers roster as a starter - that's why I think it's quite likely he's being dangled as a trade chip at this year's deadline. I'm sure they'd like to keep him, but if they want to upgrade their MLB pitching by July 31 significantly I think he's probably going to be heading elsewhere to start his big league career.

I agree that the Perez DFA likely is an indirect action related to Orlando Arcia. I think the Brewers are trying everything they can do to get Arcia to fulfill his potential. They optioned him last year after being given a long leash in trying to correct his offensive game. This year his defense is off so they bring in another shortstop, at the expense of Hernan Perez, to push Arcia to perform better and take the job away from Saladino.

Now that being said, I expect Perez to remain with the organization. I'm sure he and his representatives know that guys like Donnie Hart, Tyrone Taylor, Wilkerson probably have tenuous holds on 40 man roster spots, and even on the 25 man an injury to Braun, Cain, etc and Hernan could find himself back in Milwaukee.

At this point, it doesn't appear anyone is willing to give Perez a 25 man roster spot, so if he leaves he'd be going to a new organization where he's a non 40 man roster veteran trying to get noticed. In this context he most likely would also be looking for a minor league deal once the season was over. Further like Sogard last year, players with young families might be less inclined to uproot their situation without a clear immediate path back to the majors.

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

While I think Acria's time here may be limited I don't think the Brewers would trade him during the season. Most teams that are selling would want minor league players with a full six years of service time and buying teams aren't going to give up major league talent that could help them win now. The Giants might be one of the few teams that would but why trade a guy during the season when there is one buyer instead of wait for the off season and have a lot more teams interested in him?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Unless they plan on dealing Arcia or turning him into a utility IF, Dubon doesn't have a spot on the Brewers roster as a starter - that's why I think it's quite likely he's being dangled as a trade chip at this year's deadline. I'm sure they'd like to keep him, but if they want to upgrade their MLB pitching by July 31 significantly I think he's probably going to be heading elsewhere to start his big league career.

Arcia a utility player...that is a thought, honestly. But as mentioned the Brewers are pretty ticked off about his defense this year, so I doubt it.

I think they could move on after the year. Why continue trotting out a replacement level player hoping for something to change?

Arcia has little trade value. He's shown nothing with the bat other than some hot streaks here and there surrounded a vast amount of ineptitude. His athleticism is off the charts and he can make some great plays on defense but advanced stats don't show him to be anything special. And while he's go some years of team control left he's going to expensive relative to his play with arbitration coming up. Add it all up and I don't see why any rebuilding club would trade for him. The only teams I can see being interested are contenders with an injured starting SS and no depth to replace him with or a contender with an all bat no glove short stop looking for a late inning defensive replacement down the stretch.

To show how little half a season of advanced stats predict actual ability going forward, Domingo Santana's defensive stats from 2018 suggested he made decent progress on defense last season. Arcia is having a down season on defense but he's probably still going to be viewed as well above average to elite by most teams.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I

I don't know, that doesn't sound right. It seems to me there is always a veteran every year that takes their time to pick the team they want to go to after being DFAd. And those teams are just paying the prorated minimum wage for the rest of the year.

If a team claims Perez off waivers they have to pay his entire remaining amount. If Perez is not claimed and the Brewers let him go, any team signing him would pay only the mlb minimum and the Brewers pay the remaining balance.

Archived