Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez DFA

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Business is business but feel sorry for Hernan. Good guy who was a huge part of the chemistry that was so important the last few years

Just bumped into Hernán Pérez as he was leaving Miller Park with his family. Suffice to say he was very emotional.

"Really, I was surprised. I wasn't expecting this," he said. "It's hard. It's really hard. Let's see what the future holds."

Was coming to post this. Feel for the guy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He was dependable and filled his role as well as any bench player could be expected but it was always obvious that's all he was ever going to be. Earlier in his time here he has some offensive production to go along with his sound defense and versatility. It would have been very hard to find anyone cheaper to fill his role any better than he was until this season. Sadly, about the time he started to get more expensive his offensive production declined which made this move necessary. I always pull for guys like him and hope he finds a job in the majors for at least a few more years.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He's going to ride the DFA train between contenders the rest of the season. No rebuilding or not contending team is going to claim him as he has zero upside for them. Contending teams need 25th men to fill in for injured players for a couple weeks all the time. Hernan seems like the perfect guy for that. I can see him changing teams at least two, if not more, times before the end of 2019.

I don't think anyone was as big of a supporter of Hernan Perez than I have been. But I really think his performance suffered because he too easily embraced the team first utility role. He'd have been better off believing in himself that he's an everyday player and played with a little more of a chip on his shoulder. He gave up himself. It cost him when the team started to underachieve. He became vulnerable. This team needed a shakeup. Unfortunately a good guy lost his job. That happens.

If anything, I think it hurts the team to DFA him. Hernan's versatility made carrying 13 pitchers on a 25-man active roster workable. Heck, he was the 14th pitcher on the 25-man roster.

Honestly, I would have handed him the 13th pitcher/mop-up role and used him more on the mound, and have him report with pitchers and catchers. I've been on record as saying I'd sign him to a multi-year extension for the versatility, and I'm still of that opinion.

Weston Wilson's the closest to matching, and he's not likely to be in Milwaukee until September 2020. David Fry did eight positions in a game... maybe he's another option.

This was the wrong move.

Come on, really? Perez pitched in games a tiny amount of times because he was the best of the position players at actually having a chance to record outs on the mound in games that no longer matter. That role is useful like twice a season and always come in games that are out of hand anyway. That role will simply go to the next best position player at recording outs, just like Kratz did last year.

Advocating for a position player to remain on the roster because of his ability to pitch, unless it's an actual pitcher like Brooks Kieschnick for example, is just silly.

The problem with Perez is that he was out of options. If he had options, he'd probably still be on the 40. Saladino is similar and has options. Next year he won't and he'll probably wind up in the same position Perez is in now because of it, with Dubon having options and taking that role.

It really isn't worth carrying mediocre 24th and 25th players on the roster when you have no flexibility to send them down as needed, and I'm glad the front office seems to agree.

Actually, I think turning him into a pitcher/position player like Kieschnick probably would be a good idea, if he wasn't somewhat on that road already.

At this point, making him the 13th pitcher would have been good. How often does a 13th pitcher go out there?

At this point, making him the 13th pitcher would have been good. How often does a 13th pitcher go out there?

At least we’ll always have this...

pjimage-3871.jpg

I think this is the next step in roster flexibility - have multiple pitchers who are good enough to pinch hit (or even play an outfield position in a pinch) and have position players who can pitch multiple innings. Why not go for multiple "Toolshed" players?

Imagine, if you will, calling in Weston Wilson to play some third base... then do a double switch to have him on the mound for an inning or two in a blowout - or extra innings.

Hernan Pérez understandably very emotional leaving Miller Park:

"Really, I was surprised. I wasn't expecting this," he said. "It's hard. It's really hard. Let's see what the future holds."

Hernan Pérez understandably very emotional leaving Miller Park:

It's a shame. The problem is that we had about 4 of him ripping it up in AAA. Saladino Spang Dubon are the same type of guy. Orf is pretty close. If it didn't happen now, its wasn't going to be much longer.

He spent parts of 5 seasons with one team. That's both tough when leaving and a tribute to his value especially considering most of that time he was out of options. I think as someone pointed out they seem to have some depth in the middle infield. I'll pull for him to do well but now he needs an opportunity and he doesn't have the luxury of just being okay. He needs to take an opportunity for playing time somewhere and post 6 or more solid weeks, of hitting in the .280 range with some pop. I still think that's in there and he's so fundamentally solid that a team in need of that is going to value him.

Counsell's now saying defense at SS played into the decision to let go Perez and bring up Saladino? Well on the surface that seems more plausible. Saladino's not exactly an upgrade offensively or defensively over Perez. Sure he's had a good year but if Perez was playing everyday in AAA, I'm sure his numbers would look good too. But when did Saladino become a defensive whiz? He's adequate. So is Hernan.

Counsell's now saying defense at SS played into the decision to let go Perez and bring up Saladino? Well on the surface that seems more plausible. Saladino's not exactly an upgrade offensively or defensively over Perez. Sure he's had a good year but if Perez was playing everyday in AAA, I'm sure his numbers would look good too. But when did Saladino become a defensive whiz? He's adequate. So is Hernan.

I can tell you were hurt by this move. Hernan grew on me as well. He still showed up at his autograph signing in Saukville a day after being let go. He’s just a good guy. It doesn’t help knowing they dropped him for Saladino who stinks as well. If it was Dubon, I think I would’ve understood it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can tell you were hurt by this move. Hernan grew on me as well. He still showed up at his autograph signing in Saukville a day after being let go. He’s just a good guy. It doesn’t help knowing they dropped him for Saladino who stinks as well. If it was Dubon, I think I would’ve understood it.

I wanted to let this move percolate to see if it made more sense to me. It doesn't. This feels like making a move for the sake of making a move. Saladino isn't better than Perez but he is different than Perez. I think Perez just ended up being the sacrificial lamb for no other reason than they needed a sacrificial lamb. This doesn't change the team trajectory at all and this isn't coming from someone who thought Perez was an integral part of the team.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I wanted to let this move percolate to see if it made more sense to me. It doesn't. This feels like making a move for the sake of making a move. Saladino isn't better than Perez but he is different than Perez. I think Perez just ended up being the sacrificial lamb for no other reason than they needed a sacrificial lamb. This doesn't change the team trajectory at all and this isn't coming from someone who thought Perez was an integral part of the team.

He had large amounts of rope that has worn thin. Considering how Burnes, Nelson, Shaw and other relievers go up and down, this isn't shocking. He also still could be with the organization if no one picks him up.

I was surprised, yes, but was he really producing well? Then again, he did well against lefties traditionally, and he even played huge in some playoff games against lefties.

My wife is kinda distraught over this. I'm kind of indifferent. I understand the role that he played was very valuable but, as others have pointed out, he's not playing "as well" this season and there is a less expensive option (Saladino or Dubon, maybe?) that could do the same thing or better. (I suppose they could do worse, too.)

Something tells me that he'll clear waivers and go down to San Antonio. But I could also see him refuse the assignment and take the free agency route.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

As it percolates... I still think this was a mistake.

Perez will prove to have been far more valuable than just his numbers - and not just for the versatility.

With Hiura up, the Brewers have everyday RH-hitting 2B and SS options. While Perez can also play some OF, the roster on this team is such that he's never going to get extended playing time at those positions. While he could also play 3rd to give Moose a break, particularly against lefties, he just hasn't hit well enough. Saladino can also play 2B, SS, and 3rd - despite his shaky defense at times in 2018, he's still a highly regarded defensive player and he was OPS-ing 0.950 in AAA before being called up.

If Perez was hitting, he'd still be on the roster - an overall mid 600's OPS that includes a low 0.600 OPS against lefties, and he's been awful in June. That just isn't good enough through half a season for him to retain his value to this roster. Just because he has a lot of gloves doesn't make him a great option at most of those positions - and an even worse one off the bench as a pinch hitter.

The Brewers have said they don't expect to keep Perez and I don't really see any reason to doubt that. My personal hunch is that he ends up with a borderline contender with a weak bench for some low level prospect or organizational filler type, we send them some cash and save the rest of Perez' salary.

As a business decision, in a vacuum, I don't have a big problem with the Perez DFA. He's obviously a marginal player and if you can upgrade his spot or increase the flexibility of his spot with an optionable player, that's a good thing.

I just don't see a compelling reason that Saladino should be the replacement over Dubon and Saladino certainly hasn't done anything since his callup to change my mind.

The Brewers have said they don't expect to keep Perez and I don't really see any reason to doubt that. My personal hunch is that he ends up with a borderline contender with a weak bench for some low level prospect or organizational filler type, we send them some cash and save the rest of Perez' salary.

As a business decision, in a vacuum, I don't have a big problem with the Perez DFA. He's obviously a marginal player and if you can upgrade his spot or increase the flexibility of his spot with an optionable player, that's a good thing.

I just don't see a compelling reason that Saladino should be the replacement over Dubon and Saladino certainly hasn't done anything since his callup to change my mind.

I think Saladino over Dubon is simply MLB familiarity at this point in time - Dubon will eventually be called up or who knows, potentially traded. The 40 man roster now sits at 39, yes? Wouldn't surprise me at all if part of the Perez move was done to free up that roster spot for adding a MLB player via trade in the not too distant future.

My guess is that they think Dubon might take over at SS at some point and want to keep getting him steady at bats especially since he missed so much of last year.

My guess is that they think Dubon might take over at SS at some point and want to keep getting him steady at bats especially since he missed so much of last year.

I don't know about this. I've only watched Dubon a few times but my takeaway has been that he's not real fluid out there at SS and seems like more of a 2B. Between he and Hiura, that might be the worst defensive middle infield in some time.

How much longer do we wait to see if anyone claims Perez?

Even if they don't claim his contract, someone will pick him up at min. wage cost to them or show them how he has a better future with their depth chart. I can't see him going to San Antonio unless he is playing for the other team.

Archived