Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez DFA

He's a 25th man in the long run and realistically so are the guys who would replace him. Just because Saladino and Dubon are hitting at AAA doesn't mean they'll hit MLB pitching. Perez would probably crush AAA pitching.

This is a big fat Whatever. Accountability is fine, but it needs to be with the guys who are supposed to be bigger parts of the team.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aguilar might have found something the last few days. Probably not, but maybe. That and no options, but that's going to run dry pretty soon.

Maybe, but it won't be until they acquire another righty hitting 1B first. Aguilar is the only bat that can legitimately play that role while starting vs. LHP. Until they acquire a better alternative, he's probably going to get a long leash to figure it out.

Aguilar might have found something the last few days. Probably not, but maybe. That and no options, but that's going to run dry pretty soon.

the way i see it, the brewers have only 54 more games where they are hampered by a 25-man roster. come 1 september, it can expand to 40.

and come opening day 2020, it's 26.

thus, the brewers really just have to be patient for the next 54 games with aguilar . . .

I understand that he pretty much had to go, but I still feel kinda bad about it. I always liked him, thought he was a great team player and did anything that was asked of him. Granted, he was the type of mediocre that had to do so, but I still thought he had a great attitude. I felt that most of the time he was an unfair lightning rod with the fans. His production was OK for most of his time here, but lately, yeah, he was awful.

Community Moderator
His defensive versatility was pretty huge in roster construction.

I agree with that going back the past few years, but in practice his diverse positional usage had decreased considerably each of the past three seasons.

Below are the games started and entered into at each position by year. This year he had started only 33 games through half a season, and 26 of those starts were at 2B. When he came off the bench he was at either 2B or SS in 18 games as compared to playing other positions off the bench just 10 times total (not counting the two pitching appearances). He was being used primarily as a middle infielder which is a seemingly much easier role for someone like Saladino to fill.

Hernan Perez positional breakdown (Start/Substitution):

LF - 34 started / 19 substituted

RF - 17 / 13

3B - 16 / 15

2B - 16 / 1

CF - 10 / 8

SS - 5 / 2

1B - 0 / 2

P - 0 / 1

2B - 25 started / 26 substituted

SS - 15 / 5

3B - 11 / 11

RF - 7 / 20

LF - 7 / 10

CF - 1 / 2

1B - 0 / 6

2019 (Through 81 Games)

2B - 26 started / 12 substituted

SS - 3 / 6

3B - 2 / 2

RF - 2 / 2

1B - 0 / 3

LF - 0 / 3

P - 0 / 2

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not that i disagree with sending Shaw down or DFA'ng Perez, but does Jesus have pictures on Stearns or something?? Ridiculous that he is still on this team.

Aguilar has a .263/.349/.368 line in 43 PA in June. Not terrible.

For Orlando Arcia or Lorenzo Cain, it's not terrible.

For a guy who plays a position of high offensive expectations and only that one position, and plays it poorly, it's far from an ideal line.

We don't have room on our roster for a .700 OPS first base only backup. Hopefully he can keep turning things around like he has the last couple games.

Not that i disagree with sending Shaw down or DFA'ng Perez, but does Jesus have pictures on Stearns or something?? Ridiculous that he is still on this team.

Aguilar has a .263/.349/.368 line in 43 PA in June. Not terrible.

For Orlando Arcia or Lorenzo Cain, it's not terrible.

For a guy who plays a position of high offensive expectations and only that one position, and plays it poorly, it's far from an ideal line.

We don't have room on our roster for a .700 OPS first base only backup. Hopefully he can keep turning things around like he has the last couple games.

Agree.

Stearns isn’t gonna keep Aguilar around too much longer unless the power shows up.

His defensive versatility was pretty huge in roster construction.

I agree with that going back the past few years, but in practice his diverse positional usage had decreased considerably each of the past three seasons.

Below are the games started and entered into at each position by year. This year he had started only 33 games through half a season, and 26 of those starts were at 2B. When he came off the bench he was at either 2B or SS in 18 games as compared to playing other positions off the bench just 10 times total (not counting the two pitching appearances). He was being used primarily as a middle infielder which is a seemingly much easier role for someone like Saladino to fill.

Hernan Perez positional breakdown (Start/Substitution):

LF - 34 started / 19 substituted

RF - 17 / 13

3B - 16 / 15

2B - 16 / 1

CF - 10 / 8

SS - 5 / 2

1B - 0 / 2

P - 0 / 1

2B - 25 started / 26 substituted

SS - 15 / 5

3B - 11 / 11

RF - 7 / 20

LF - 7 / 10

CF - 1 / 2

1B - 0 / 6

2019 (Through 81 Games)

2B - 26 started / 12 substituted

SS - 3 / 6

3B - 2 / 2

RF - 2 / 2

1B - 0 / 3

LF - 0 / 3

P - 0 / 2

You're right in that he wasn't used as much this year at other positions. But wherever he played in the field, I thought he could handle the job. Unlike when Thames was in the OF, or Aguilar was at 3B, Perez seemed adept everywhere. And with big pitching staffs, teams need to have a multitool bench player who can play SS and other places.

We've seen his limitations on offense, and Saladino can probably be an improvement, but Perez brought value as a competent glove.

I'd consider it fortunate that Shaw had an option remaining, because that is the only reason he is no longer with the big league club. They would never flat out drop a player who has averaged 30 homeruns a year for them and played solid defense at third.

Aguilar is a different situation because he is out of options. If they DFA Jesus Aguilar another team will claim him. As recently as August of 2018 he put up a .270/.370/.506 line, so he's not that far removed from his Salad Days that the team is going to give him away.

Perez is also different than the above two, because versatile fielders with below average bats are a readily available commodity in the major leagues. In fact, there is no real difference between Perez, Saladino, and Spangenberg. The bad news is the Cubs have their own all glove no bat utility player...Daniel Descalso. Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the Cubs claim Perez and drop Descalso because believe it or not, Hernan has swung the bat better than Descalso to this point.

The bad news is the Cubs have their own all glove no bat utility player...Daniel Descalso. Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the Cubs claim Perez and drop Descalso because believe it or not, Hernan has swung the bat better than Descalso to this point.

at which point, Perez would terrorize us for as long as he wore a Cubs uniform.

just seems bound to happen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How can a team that needs pitching do such a thing

Right. He is unscored upon in 5 out of his last 6 appearances. That's got to be better than some in the pen.

Plus, I think they were afraid to give him a shot at catcher, because he would have pushed Grandal out of the picture and made the FO look bad.

I don't think anyone was as big of a supporter of Hernan Perez than I have been. But I really think his performance suffered because he too easily embraced the team first utility role. He'd have been better off believing in himself that he's an everyday player and played with a little more of a chip on his shoulder. He gave up himself. It cost him when the team started to underachieve. He became vulnerable. This team needed a shakeup. Unfortunately a good guy lost his job. That happens.

If anything, I think it hurts the team to DFA him. Hernan's versatility made carrying 13 pitchers on a 25-man active roster workable. Heck, he was the 14th pitcher on the 25-man roster.

Honestly, I would have handed him the 13th pitcher/mop-up role and used him more on the mound, and have him report with pitchers and catchers. I've been on record as saying I'd sign him to a multi-year extension for the versatility, and I'm still of that opinion.

Weston Wilson's the closest to matching, and he's not likely to be in Milwaukee until September 2020. David Fry did eight positions in a game... maybe he's another option.

This was the wrong move.

I thought the writing was on the wall once they started having Saladino play basically every position but center and catcher in AAA this year. I didn't think the shoe would drop until after the season though.

Hernan was a guy I loved to cheer for but hated to watch hit. I think he was a great team guy but in all reality they don't really lose much, but they probably don't gain much of an upgrade from Saladino either. I really hope Hernan catches on with another contender has plays some meaningful ball this year.

I don't think anyone was as big of a supporter of Hernan Perez than I have been. But I really think his performance suffered because he too easily embraced the team first utility role. He'd have been better off believing in himself that he's an everyday player and played with a little more of a chip on his shoulder. He gave up himself. It cost him when the team started to underachieve. He became vulnerable. This team needed a shakeup. Unfortunately a good guy lost his job. That happens.

If anything, I think it hurts the team to DFA him. Hernan's versatility made carrying 13 pitchers on a 25-man active roster workable. Heck, he was the 14th pitcher on the 25-man roster.

Honestly, I would have handed him the 13th pitcher/mop-up role and used him more on the mound, and have him report with pitchers and catchers. I've been on record as saying I'd sign him to a multi-year extension for the versatility, and I'm still of that opinion.

Weston Wilson's the closest to matching, and he's not likely to be in Milwaukee until September 2020. David Fry did eight positions in a game... maybe he's another option.

This was the wrong move.

Come on, really? Perez pitched in games a tiny amount of times because he was the best of the position players at actually having a chance to record outs on the mound in games that no longer matter. That role is useful like twice a season and always come in games that are out of hand anyway. That role will simply go to the next best position player at recording outs, just like Kratz did last year.

Advocating for a position player to remain on the roster because of his ability to pitch, unless it's an actual pitcher like Brooks Kieschnick for example, is just silly.

The problem with Perez is that he was out of options. If he had options, he'd probably still be on the 40. Saladino is similar and has options. Next year he won't and he'll probably wind up in the same position Perez is in now because of it, with Dubon having options and taking that role.

It really isn't worth carrying mediocre 24th and 25th players on the roster when you have no flexibility to send them down as needed, and I'm glad the front office seems to agree.

the way i see it, the brewers have only 54 more games where they are hampered by a 25-man roster. come 1 september, it can expand to 40.

thus, the brewers really just have to be patient for the next 54 games with aguilar . . .

Exactly this. I don’t see Aguilar being DFA’d this season. The rosters expand to 26 next season and having a guy like Aguilar on the roster becomes much less of an issue as early as next season. He’s been swinging the bat a little better recently as well. The real concern is the lack of power so far this season. It would be tough to give up on a guy who was an All-Star last season and get nothing in return.

Definitely shocked that Perez was DFA’d though. I’m sure there will be interest in his services and the Brewers will get some type of lottery ticket for him.

Very excited to have Hiura back on the roster to continue raking! He has a special bat that we haven’t had come through the system since Braun first burst onto the scene.

I’m a fan of Saladino and believe that he will have a very nice second half of the season for us. He’s a late bloomer that I think could be a solid bench/utility guy for us for a few years. I liked Perez, but I have no doubt that Saladino will slide in and produce at least to the level that Perez was, while having more upside with the bat.

I think people overrate hernan Perez playing other positions

Arcia could do that if you wanted him too for example

Obviously Aguilar can’t. So that would be a better argument

But Aguilar is a way better hitter than Perez if he even gets back to 50-75% normal

We all know we need pitching. But that doesn’t mean you don’t make these moves

And, unless there are some significant improvements from the starting pitchers, the games in September will be meaningless.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

i don't believe it's been mentioned on this thread . . . the brewers have seven days from designating perez to trade, release, or outright him to the minors. it doesn't appear that he was designated for assignment yesterday . . . just probably given the professional courtesy of advance notice.

however, the brewers have already outrighted perez to the minors (i had forgotten they did that in 2015, and then selected his contract in april 2016). thus, if he clears waivers, perez reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment and declare free agency.

The bad news is the Cubs have their own all glove no bat utility player...Daniel Descalso. Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the Cubs claim Perez and drop Descalso because believe it or not, Hernan has swung the bat better than Descalso to this point.

at which point, Perez would terrorize us for as long as he wore a Cubs uniform.

just seems bound to happen.

It seems like the Giants might be interested...

Archived