Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez DFA

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I 100% appreciate what Perez did in Milwaukee, but the fact he was getting at bats versus lefties while Hiura was in the minors and did not do well in those at bats forced something fairly drastic to happen.

Verified Member
Interesting. With Dubon in the picture as well Hernan's time seemed to be getting short. I hope he clears waivers and accepts his assignment. He has never shown enough to really be sorely missed, but he sure knows how to play the game.

I’m shocked by this move and it might upset some of the Latin players...

Im surprised also but in a positive way. Being a bad hitter at a bunch of positions isn’t that useful. Saladino will be better or at worst the same.

End of an era. Aguilar should have went but with the IF depth I guess I get it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
I did not see this move coming at all. Perez has been pretty bad this season, so from that standpoint I certainly get it. I think Hernan has been a clubhouse favorite, and his son was seemingly a welcomed presence around the team. I assume someone will claim him (although maybe not since his salary is $2.5 million this year), and I wish him all the best if he does indeed move on to another organization.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow, surprising. I"m not all that disappointed though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

Perez has not been great, but it's not like Saladino is going to light the world on fire at the plate.

Any chance this move is foreshadowing a trade that might make use of Perez's now vacant 40-man spot? :)

Community Moderator
Perez has not been great, but it's not like Saladino is going to light the world on fire at the plate.

Any chance this move is foreshadowing a trade that might make use of Perez's now vacant 40-man spot? :)

I was thinking along those same lines. Did they need a 40-man roster spot for either an impending trade/transaction, or are they possibly promoting Trent Grisham to the 40-man roster?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member

I was thinking along those same lines. Did they need a 40-man roster spot for either an impending trade/transaction, or are they possibly promoting Trent Grisham to the 40-man roster?

I just think they are rewarding/promoting Saladino for his excellent year at AAA. Perez has been poor and was out of options. Perez wasn't worth his salary at this point and almost certainly would have been non-tendered unless he somehow could put up a .350/.450 line or so from here on out. Dubon and Spangenberg provide extra depth in case they lose Perez. It was time.

I don't think anyone was as big of a supporter of Hernan Perez than I have been. But I really think his performance suffered because he too easily embraced the team first utility role. He'd have been better off believing in himself that he's an everyday player and played with a little more of a chip on his shoulder. He gave up himself. It cost him when the team started to underachieve. He became vulnerable. This team needed a shakeup. Unfortunately a good guy lost his job. That happens.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It does suck that a good, popular guy had to lose his spot, but if anything, this puts the team on notice that none of them are going to be on retainer any longer. Counsell has loved Perez for years, but he simply wasn't doing what he was paid to do any longer. If I'm Jesus Aguilar, Manny Pina or one of several pitchers, I'm looking over my shoulder.

Good

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

His defensive versatility was pretty huge in roster construction. It will be interesting to see how they use Saladino and if he's capable of playing in the OF at all.

I liked Perez in that he took to the super sub role and seemed at least capable wherever he played. Glad he was able to get a nice contract for this year.

The value of the extreme defensive versatility varies between different rosters. A few years ago, when the team for a time had only 3 OFs on the roster, only one of whom (Broxton) could play CF? That's when a guy like Hernán was invaluable. With the current roster, there isn't going to be much difference with Saladino; We've seen him play well at 3B, SS, 2B. He has played corner OF in the past. CF is the question mark, but Cain, Gamel and Yelich can all play there so it's enough that he can play the corners. From a utility standpoint, even someone like Dubon who is a SS/2B would've been fine in most situations if he could at least play 3B well enough not to suck completely, which a good defensive SS should be able to.

Hernán seems like a good, fun presence in the club house. Things like his Bronson Arroyo impression on the mound on the tail end of that 16-0 game, putting some cheer into both fans and players on an otherwise miserable night, do matter. And I so wish we'd gotten to see him play C at some point. But I've long been a critic of his ability at the plate, or rather how someone of his ability is used. He got way too much playing time for a guy with a career OBP in the 280s. He's fine as the utility guy, covering for any injury and enabling any double swtich, but when the plan involves him starting 1/3-1/2 of the games, that's just a rally killer.

Good luck to Hernán, hopefully he'll find a solid gig somewhere! And having just read the MVP Machine, maybe he'll be one of those guys who could revamp himself at the plate. He doesn't need to hit *that* much better to be a very solid MLB player.

Not that i disagree with sending Shaw down or DFA'ng Perez, but does Jesus have pictures on Stearns or something?? Ridiculous that he is still on this team.

Aguilar has a .263/.349/.368 line in 43 PA in June. Not terrible.

Archived