Brewer Fanatic

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like we just lost Michael Peterson in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

Brewers also lost Nate Griep, Bryan Torres and Jordan Brink in the AAA phase.

2 Thing:

1) It kind of shocks me how Stearns is all about finding value, but seems to have no interest in taking a Rule 5 guy. These guys are proven minor league talents that haven’t been given a shot. It’s a much safer pick than paying some 8th round draft pick or whatever $100,000. You get a guy already proven in the minors who could be on the cusp of the MLB. And if he doesn’t work, you get half of that back. Honestly it’s surprising he’s not involved. Even for a bullpen arm or SOMETHING!

I really wanted Roberto Ramos and felt that he could of been the lefty platoon option at first base. I’ll be interested to see what he does the next year or two.

2) Extremely disappointed we lost Griep. The guy has posted very good numbers throughout his minor league career. I don’t see how you can let a relief pitcher go who would be in AAA that has shown promise all throughout the minor leagues. For being an organization that has a tough time developing pitching and also wanting to have cheap controllable talent at the MLB roster, it’s hard seeing that Griep couldn’t be a last guy in the bullpen option at the league minimum at some point even during the 2020 season.

I can't believe no rebuilding team took a flyer on Zack Brown for their pen. Either this is the worst Brewer farm system ever or the leaguewide view of Brown from GMs isn't even close to the publications or our fan perceptions.

I can't believe no rebuilding team took a flyer on Zack Brown for their pen. Either this is the worst Brewer farm system ever or the leaguewide view of Brown from GMs isn't even close to the publications or our fan perceptions.

Four Brewers were taken in the AAA phase of the Rule 5, so I'm guessing it's the latter. Brown will obviously have an opportunity to rebuild his value this year, but while he has talent, he's not especially special in any given area to a point where a team will dream on his upside. He's probably a back-end rotation guy or swing guy at best right now, if he even makes the majors.

Sounds like we just lost Michael Peterson in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

2 Thing:

1) It kind of shocks me how Stearns is all about finding value, but seems to have no interest in taking a Rule 5 guy. These guys are proven minor league talents that haven’t been given a shot. It’s a much safer pick than paying some 8th round draft pick or whatever $100,000. You get a guy already proven in the minors who could be on the cusp of the MLB. And if he doesn’t work, you get half of that back. Honestly it’s surprising he’s not involved. Even for a bullpen arm or SOMETHING!

Stearns values flexibility and there is no flexibility at all with a Rule 5 pick. Yes he is value-oriented for sure but I think he prefers to be have the ability to shuffle the back of his roster as needed rather than be locked into a spot with a guy who is likely going to produce marginal results. In rebuilding years it might not matter so much but at this point I don't think we're looking for another Wei Chung Wang experiment.

Zack Brown being ranked as our #3 prospect this year doesn’t mean much. Most years or in most current farms he’d rank around #15 or so. I expected that he wouldn’t be selected and so did the Brewers

Sounds like we just lost Michael Petersen in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

Brewers had 57 players eligible.

They could have protected the maximum of 38 at the AAA level, which would have meant they could not be lost in the Minor League phase of Rule 5. More likely they would have protected 36 or 37 if they planned on making Minor League Phase Rule 5 picks of their own.

So approximately 19 or 20 players were exposed by being listed below the AAA level, and the four players above were among them.

We do know in the past that the Brewers have exposed players as "favors" in order to give them a chance at a new start -- Eric Farris was one.

That may have been the case here, particularly with Nate Griep (as this quote from the Brewers indicates). His bump to AAA by the Crew was delayed for sure.

In nearly all years (we've managed to get the list once or twice, but not this year), the farmhands don't know if they were listed on the AAA or AA level. The only four who know for sure they were on the AA list are the four players who were taken.

With so many open roster spots I just don’t get why a small market team doesn’t take a chance on a MLB ready player like Roberto Ramos. Very little risk and the payoff could be big. I mean you could send him back before Spring Training even starts or there is a small chance he becomes a Max Muncy or Jeff McNeill valuable player with tons of team control.

Really need to disagree with that line of reasoning Adambr2. In this case, DS values flexibility so much he is inflexible about a rule 5 player? I can understand about trying to hide a pitcher in the pen all year, but most of us here were advocating a selection of a position player to fill holes on the cheap and maybe striking gold, i.e Ramos, Santana and others. If they didn't work out, oh well, they get sent back no big loss and they go sign a leftover to do the job, is that not flexible? If anything, this proves DS is more of a traditional baseball GM, than the unorthodox new age executive he's been hailed to be! Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

I think it is possible to acquire a starting caliber 1B and/or 3B via trade without dealing Hader. Especially 1B. I have no doubt that they have multiple directions and options to fill those spots. It could be that they have free agent offers out there, and are waiting for decisions to come down before moving on to Plan B or C.

Also, I very much doubt there were any 3B or 1B prospects available in the Rule 5 that the team felt comfortable handing a starting spot to on what they continue to say will be a contending team.

Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

Stearns should be fired and have all of his stuff thrown onto the street if he tries filling a position with a Rule 5 pick when we are a competing team.

Really need to disagree with that line of reasoning Adambr2. In this case, DS values flexibility so much he is inflexible about a rule 5 player? I can understand about trying to hide a pitcher in the pen all year, but most of us here were advocating a selection of a position player to fill holes on the cheap and maybe striking gold, i.e Ramos, Santana and others. If they didn't work out, oh well, they get sent back no big loss and they go sign a leftover to do the job, is that not flexible? If anything, this proves DS is more of a traditional baseball GM, than the unorthodox new age executive he's been hailed to be! Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

I think Stearns has already proven to be anything but a traditional GM. I don't think his Rule 5 involvement makes him any more or less traditional.

I think it is possible to acquire a starting caliber 1B and/or 3B via trade without dealing Hader. Especially 1B. I have no doubt that they have multiple directions and options to fill those spots. It could be that they have free agent offers out there, and are waiting for decisions to come down before moving on to Plan B or C.

Also, I very much doubt there were any 3B or 1B prospects available in the Rule 5 that the team felt comfortable handing a starting spot to on what they continue to say will be a contending team.

Who was advocating handing a starting position to any Rule 5 pick? In the case of Ramos, who I would have chosen, you bring him to spring training and see if he can produce. If he can great, if not send him back and your out a few thousand. It's a gamble. Just like the Lindblom signing, DS is gambling that he can produce like he did in Korea. The difference is Lindblom is a $9 million bet, a Rule 5 pick is a 100 thousand wager. To be honest, I would have selected both Ramos and Santana, signed a vet like Frazier and go to spring training with a soft plan to have Frazier start with Santana as back up at 3rd. Ramos and Braun to platoon at 1st. If they don't pan out, there is still plenty of options. As far as the Hader comment, I would support a trade of Hader, selling high, but I don't want to give him away either. Other GM's will look at the holes on this team and think we NEED to trade him and it undercuts our position. With Frazier, Ramos and Santana, at least the team would have looked to be in a stronger position to demand more. It's all optics!

Who was advocating handing a starting position to any Rule 5 pick? In the case of Ramos, who I would have chosen, you bring him to spring training and see if he can produce. If he can great, if not send him back and your out a few thousand. It's a gamble. Just like the Lindblom signing, DS is gambling that he can produce like he did in Korea. The difference is Lindblom is a $9 million bet, a Rule 5 pick is a 100 thousand wager. To be honest, I would have selected both Ramos and Santana, signed a vet like Frazier and go to spring training with a soft plan to have Frazier start with Santana as back up at 3rd. Ramos and Braun to platoon at 1st. If they don't pan out, there is still plenty of options. As far as the Hader comment, I would support a trade of Hader, selling high, but I don't want to give him away either. Other GM's will look at the holes on this team and think we NEED to trade him and it undercuts our position. With Frazier, Ramos and Santana, at least the team would have looked to be in a stronger position to demand more. It's all optics!

So small sample spring training performance is your gauge? Obviously they didn't take anyone because they didn't think there was anyone worth taking. If they thought Ramos could produce, they would have taken him. How do you know DS doesn't have a plate full of wheat he believes are better options? You don't just chew up 40 man spots on rule 5 picks to show "strength" to other GMs (who would never buy it anyway).

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The Brewers did have Chad Spanberger, acquired for Chase Anderson.

Ramos would arguably be superfluous in that case. I suspect, though, Cooper Hummel might be an interesting NRI. Has played catcher and OF... maybe could handle first, and has quietly put up impressive seasons.

So small sample spring training performance is your gauge? Obviously they didn't take anyone because they didn't think there was anyone worth taking. If they thought Ramos could produce, they would have taken him. How do you know DS doesn't have a plate full of wheat he believes are better options? You don't just chew up 40 man spots on rule 5 picks to show "strength" to other GMs (who would never buy it anyway).

If they show up in the spring and looked overmatched, yeah! The 40 man stands at 34 right now, adding a couple would do no harm considering there is 5 more on it right now that could be sent packing if needed.On the "strenght" comment, one thing I have learned over the years is to never overestimate human intelligence, expect the worst out of humans and they will never fail to live down to your expectations! It's all irrelevant now anyway!

The Brewers did have Chad Spanberger, acquired for Chase Anderson.

Ramos would arguably be superfluous in that case. I suspect, though, Cooper Hummel might be an interesting NRI. Has played catcher and OF... maybe could handle first, and has quietly put up impressive seasons.

Spanberger 1b in AA

Fry 1b in A+

That works for me. I think we can add 1 more if they should start off in AAA. Gatewood can be someones backup somewhere.

You were certainly inferring it was a possibility of some sort. Almost like it was a major possibility and the most likely way to fill the position.

If they show up in the spring and looked overmatched, yeah! The 40 man stands at 34 right now, adding a couple would do no harm considering there is 5 more on it right now that could be sent packing if needed.On the "strenght" comment, one thing I have learned over the years is to never overestimate human intelligence, expect the worst out of humans and they will never fail to live down to your expectations! It's all irrelevant now anyway!

Contending teams do not take flyers on rule 5 players to see if they "look over matched" or not in spring training. This isn't fantasy baseball for cripes sake, and that is a fantasy baseball mentality. Do you honestly believe that there is no plan for those remaining roster spots and/or spots that could be cleared by releasing 40 man chaff? Underestimating people is a horrible life philosophy destined for failure. That attitude may work on the fringes, but you will lose every time in big boy world going in with that mindset. Besides, if you are correct, wouldn't that then mean that a better free agent option would not sign here because we have "strength" at that position. I mean, it just doesn't make sense on any level. Either way, the Brewers brass didn't like the guy and I'm guessing they had good reason for it. I think I'll side with their scouting and continue to believe that the guy is just one more AAAA guy that fans like to clamour for and never really amounts to much, if anything.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If he was exposed to the Rule 5 draft and mashed at AAA clearly the Rockies value him at a price similar to a bag of balls. If we want him so bad just go trade a bag of balls right now and you won't be subject to him needing to be on the 26 man roster all year. Even better than drafting him in the Rule 5 draft.

Archived