Brewer Fanatic

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former Brewers beat writer Robert Murray highlighted an intriguing player that Seattle left unprotected...

A name to watch in Thursday’s Rule 5 Draft: Mariners’ Eric Filia. Filia, 27, is a former top prospect who has posted more walks than strikeouts in each of his four minor-league seasons.

Filla’s career numbers in the minor leagues include a .412 OBP and .843 OPS.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Former Brewers beat writer Robert Murray highlighted an intriguing player that Seattle left unprotected...

A name to watch in Thursday’s Rule 5 Draft: Mariners’ Eric Filia. Filia, 27, is a former top prospect who has posted more walks than strikeouts in each of his four minor-league seasons.

Filla’s career numbers in the minor leagues include a .412 OBP and .843 OPS.

Would be worth a shot if he can lay of the weed! smh

I'm going to guess the Brewers make a pick with a position player and if I had to say one guy it would be Ka'ai Tom of the Indians. Kind of reminds me of Trent Grisham, a left handed hitter that can play all three OF positions, had a power surge in 2019 that started in AA and continued in AAA and can get on base.

Well starting next year marijuana is no longer being tested for in the minor leagues, and it has never been part of the MLB testing program so that shouldn’t be much of a concern moving forward in terms of a possible suspension.

Well starting next year marijuana is no longer being tested for in the minor leagues, and it has never been part of the MLB testing program so that shouldn’t be much of a concern moving forward in terms of a possible suspension.

It's not so much that the pot bothers me, it's a judgement issue. You know that you will be tested and you do it anyway?

How about 1B Roberto Ramos (Colorado)? He's done nothing but hit throughout the minor leagues, including last season when he hit .309/.400/.580/.980 with 30 HR and a .406 wOBA at AAA. Prospect evaluators thinks he is a Quad-A player, but heck, we have a black hole at 1B and maybe he's the next Russell Branyan (or, perhaps more aptly, Khris Davis)?

Not sure that the Brewers will be selecting a player in the Rule 5 Draft but Ramos would be my desired choice.

Ramos is my choice as well. If he pans out, you get him for 6 years. If he flops, you get half your money back anyway. It’s a great way to possibly add talent to your system while giving a guy an opportunity at the big leagues who deserves it right now with how he’s performed in the minors. With the rosters at 26 this season, I don’t see why he couldn’t slot into the backup 1B role or possibly starter role if he performs. He would be a cheap option that would provide some pop off the bench as well.

He has raked everywhere he’s been in the minors. He’s definitely worth a shot.

Ramos is my choice as well. If he pans out, you get him for 6 years. If he flops, you get half your money back anyway. It’s a great way to possibly add talent to your system while giving a guy an opportunity at the big leagues who deserves it right now with how he’s performed in the minors. With the rosters at 26 this season, I don’t see why he couldn’t slot into the backup 1B role or possibly starter role if he performs. He would be a cheap option that would provide some pop off the bench as well.

He has raked everywhere he’s been in the minors. He’s definitely worth a shot.

Given the state of FA, nothing cheap, and the barren farm system. This would most likely be the most cost effective way to go. Ramos just feasted on RHP in the minors, with LHP being a little tougher on him, a platoon of him and Braun at 1st would be OK with me.

With the 40 man roster space that the Brewers have, it seems like the Brewers should take a couple of high upside players and see how they fair during spring training. If they don't impress, send them back and get half your money back. Seems like a low risk option to add some depth.

Unfortunately the best high upside starting pitcher may be Zach Brown - so there's that.

With the 40 man roster space that the Brewers have, it seems like the Brewers should take a couple of high upside players and see how they fair during spring training. If they don't impress, send them back and get half your money back. Seems like a low risk option to add some depth.

Unfortunately the best high upside starting pitcher may be Zach Brown - so there's that.

How many players can one team select? I though it was one?

How many players can one team select? I though it was one?

I believe there are 2 rounds in the Rule 5 Draft, but I am also not 100% positive about that.

Sorry if he was already mentioned, but another player that could interest teams looking for a lefty corner IF bat is Jose Rojas.

Here is a blurb from The Athletic on him...

José Rojas, 1B, 2B, 3B: Already 27, he’s a lefty hitter who slashed .293/.362/.577 in Triple-A last year with 31 home runs. He doesn’t strike out at nearly as high a rate as most of the guys on this list. Granted, he compiled those numbers in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League (his wRC+ was just 120), but one could still understand a team really liking the bat.

Reminder that the Rule 5 Draft takes place at 11:00am CT today.

Baseball America released their final list of Rule 5 Draft eligible players, 2019 MLB Rule 5 Draft Preview: Version 3.5

The full list is 70 names, and includes the following three Brewers minor leaguers:

Zack Brown, RHP, Brewers

Brown was impressive in 2018 thanks to a 92-95 mph fastball and a plus curveball. He changed to more of an east-west approach with more two-seamer usage and a sweepier breaking ball. It didn’t work for Brown, but a team who liked Brown’s work in 2018 could be enticed to see if they can quickly get him back on track.

Braden Webb, RHP, Brewers

At his best, Webb has shown a plus fastball and a plus curveball. He missed significant time in 2019 with forearm soreness but did not have surgery. His control is well below average, which limits his upside as a Rule 5 pick.

Phil Bickford, RHP, Brewers

Bickford first reached high Class A in 2016 and in 2019 he was still in high Class A, so it’s fair to say his career has not progressed as he would have hoped. But the 2016 first-round pick didn’t allow a run in his final 24 innings while allowing only nine hits and six walks. Over that stretch he fanned 38 batters. Bickford has a plus change to go with his 93-96 mph fastball.

I'm going to guess that Cristian Santana (Dodgers 3B/1B) might be an option as well. Nice numbers at AA last year, and very good power numbers at A+ the year prior.

I can't see a .750 OPS from a hitter-friendly Texas League and a 2.5% walk rate making a successful transition to the majors.

I'd definitely be on board with Jose Rojas or Roberto Ramos, if still available. Dollars to donuts, I think both are gone by the time the Brewers pick.

Archived