Brewer Fanatic

Eligible for Minor League Free Agency - Fall 2019

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Here's the list of the Brewers' players eligible for minor league free agency this fall.

In fall 2018, OF Tyrone Taylor was added to the 40-man roster from that list.

Players could also be re-signed to minor league free agent deals.

Alphabetical within current level.

SAN ANTONIO:

C Tuffy Gosewisch

INF Jake Hager - signed minor league deal with the Mets

IF/OF Nate Orf - signed with Oakland with big-league camp invite

BILOXI:

SS Luis Aviles, Jr.

IF Bruce Caldwell

RHP Jorge Ortega

RHP Tyler Spurlin

OF Dillon Thomas - signed with Oakland with big-league camp invite

CAROLINA:

RHP Rodrigo Benoit

INF Tucker Neuhaus

OF Wes Rogers

One miscellaneous note: RHP Preston Gainey is not on our list. It appears Gainey was signed to a two-year deal prior to the '19 season, no doubt related to his Tommy John surgery in March of 2018.

Not too many guys to think about protecting, maybe Devin Williams and Perdomo...

I actually think there are quite a few that will still play in the big leagues this year for some team or added prior to become free agents. Includes:

Devin Williams

Angel Perdomo

Jay Jackson

Cory Spangenberg

Alex Wilson

I could see the Brewers trying to bring a fair number of the players here back on minor league deals, especially the middle infielders. Heck, you could make a case for Aviles being the second best middle infield prospect between Biloxi and Rocky Mountain given the struggles Coca and some of the other young players have endured this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Like to a coaching role? Jorge Ortega's player page still lists his status as released and he hasn't pitched this season.

We're just waiting for a confirmation. Technically Vibes' coach Nick Rickles is stashed on the Sky Sox DL, but we know he's coaching with the Vibes.

Not sure what the coaching personnel limits are in MiLB, but we shouldn't be upset if the Brewers are skirting things in this manner in order to provide extra instruction and also provide initial coaching jobs to players like Rickles (and Ortega?).

Devin Williams seems like the only guy here who should get the Tyrone Taylor treatment.

I'm guessing they'd add him to AAA at some point soon.

Nate Griep's having an even better year at Biloxi and they aren't in any hurry to promote him with guys like Barnes, Taylor Williams and Jackson for the most part doing the job at SA, after failing miserably in Milwaukee this year.

Other than Devin Williams and maybe Perdomo, don't think there's really any worth adding to the 40-man at risk of losing here. I'd try to re-sign several, and someone like Jay Jackson would certainly get a spring training invite if he doesn't get another look this year.

Devin Williams seems like the only guy here who should get the Tyrone Taylor treatment.

I'm guessing they'd add him to AAA at some point soon.

Nate Griep's having an even better year at Biloxi and they aren't in any hurry to promote him with guys like Barnes, Taylor Williams and Jackson for the most part doing the job at SA, after failing miserably in Milwaukee this year.

The Biloxi pen is just loaded. I'd be up for cycling out some of the AAAA arms in San Antonio and getting the next men up.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Just removed RHP Deolis Guerra from the original list after his addition to the 25-man roster today by the Brewers.

Guerra back on the initial post in this thread.

Removed just-released 25-year-old RHP Nattino Diplan (seven seasons in the system, but this was only his 3rd above the rookie ball level.

Also OF Michael O'Neill, recently turned 27, combined .276/.333/.362 line at AAA and AA in his lone season with the Crew.

Added LHP Drew Smyly and fellow newcomer LHP Danny Coulombe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Bump as the original post in the thread is up-to-date.

One of the smallest free agent classes we can remember.

All those guys, save Perdomo (who was signed to the 40-man) are now free agents.

Personally, they only guy on that list I would be bummed to lose is Hager. He's been solid in his two years as Brewer property, and could theoretically challenge for a utility role with the big club at some point next year.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived