Brewer Fanatic

Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Leake as a #5 behind Woodruff, Wheeler/Ray, Gio and Anderson is fine. The problem is getting that Wheeler or Ray type. A rotation of Anderson, Davies, Leake, Houser and Lyles just isn't good enough and the Brewers will fade.

Why would Woodruff be in scenario A but not scenario B?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leake as a #5 behind Woodruff, Wheeler/Ray, Gio and Anderson is fine. The problem is getting that Wheeler or Ray type. A rotation of Anderson, Davies, Leake, Houser and Lyles just isn't good enough and the Brewers will fade.

Why would Woodruff be in scenario A but not scenario B?

My bad. I deleted a part of my post accidentally. Leake AND a Wheeler/Ray type would help carry the Crew until Woodruff came back. Wheeler/Ray, Anderson, Gio, Davies and Leake is decent. The problem is removing Wheeler/Ray and substituting Lyles or Houser (who is better in the pen) for them.

Really don’t want Leake and his $15 million contract for next season, PLUS he has a $5 million buyout for 2021. I would much rather have the financial flexibility in the offseason to make moves than to be tied in to Leake. Even if the Mariners pay for the buyout and throw in another $5 million, is Leake really worth $10 million for next year or would you rather have that money available to be used toward a front of the rotation guy, a solid impact bat, or a couple good bullpen pieces?

Really don’t want Leake and his $15 million contract for next season, PLUS he has a $5 million buyout for 2021. I would much rather have the financial flexibility in the offseason to make moves than to be tied in to Leake. Even if the Mariners pay for the buyout and throw in another $5 million, is Leake really worth $10 million for next year or would you rather have that money available to be used toward a front of the rotation guy, a solid impact bat, or a couple good bullpen pieces?

Having a guy like Leake available in 2020 theoretically stops them from going down the same troubled road they did by gifting rotation spots to Burnes and Peralta coming out of the gate.

Mike Leake is not good. What the heck are we doing this year? Stearns have a drinking problem or what?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are "still fielding calls" from nine teams on Zack Wheeler.

Sherman notes, however, that the Mets "have a price" and could elect to keep Wheeler beyond Wednesday's 4pm ET deadline if they don't get an offer that meets their expectations. The impending free agent right-hander has been connected to the Astros, Braves, Yankees, Brewers, Athletics, and Rays. He's sporting a 4.71 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, and 137/34 K/BB ratio in 124 1/3 innings (20 starts) this season.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter

Jul 31, 2019, 11:24 AM ET

I just don't see Wheeler as a needle mover if he is the best we can do...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the Mets pulled Noah Syndergaard off the trade market Tuesday night.

Barring a last-minute surprise, Thor is going to stay put. It had been looking that way for a little while, as the Mets almost surely wouldn't have let him start Tuesday if they were really considering dealing him. It's possible a trade of the big right-hander will be revisited somewhere down the line, but he will finish out this season in Queens. The team is still fielding offers for Zack Wheeler.

Jul 31, 2019, 11:23 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are "still fielding calls" from nine teams on Zack Wheeler.

Sherman notes, however, that the Mets "have a price" and could elect to keep Wheeler beyond Wednesday's 4pm ET deadline if they don't get an offer that meets their expectations. The impending free agent right-hander has been connected to the Astros, Braves, Yankees, Brewers, Athletics, and Rays. He's sporting a 4.71 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, and 137/34 K/BB ratio in 124 1/3 innings (20 starts) this season.

3.65 FIP and 3.84 xFIP

He's actually the one SP I want and would immediately try to extend him. If Burnes ever figures it out, a front of the rotation with Woodruff-Wheeler-Burnes could be real nice.

He's actually the one SP I want and would immediately try to extend him. If Burnes ever figures it out, a front of the rotation with Woodruff-Wheeler-Burnes could be real nice.

I think in the Brewers current situation Wheeler is a needle mover. No, not an ace but he does have the ability\stuff to shut down the best lineups on a good day. He's instantly the Brewers best pitcher. I know that's not saying much :). I still like this teams chances if they can get hot down the stretch.

Obviously a little less 4 hours to go yet so things can heat up in a hurry, but it sure doesn't look/feel like the Brewers will be getting the TOR arm I was hoping they would. It's so eerily quiet right now. If the best they can do for an arm is Leake/Wheeler, then just say the heck with it and don't bother, go with what you got and hope. I'm still hoping they are quietly working in the background on something for Robbie Ray And/or Greinke.

I think in the Brewers current situation Wheeler is a needle mover. No, not an ace but he does have the ability\stuff to shut down the best lineups on a good day. He's instantly the Brewers best pitcher. I know that's not saying much :). I still like this teams chances if they can get hot down the stretch.

I think we need a clear definition of needle mover. I never see it bbref or MLB network.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Brewers grab Aaron Sanchez today. Ace-type stuff, but has been stung by injuries. One more arby year too. He's got the stuff that they seem to covet, though.

Good call Joey, since he just went 6 innings for the Astros no hitter!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Brewers grab Aaron Sanchez today. Ace-type stuff, but has been stung by injuries. One more arby year too. He's got the stuff that they seem to covet, though.

Good call Joey, since he just went 6 innings for the Astros no hitter!

Yeah ... disappointing. Sanchez would have been a perfect reclamation guy. Huge talent, but in need of a change of scenery.

I am hopeful that Faria shows that he also has that type of talent.

Archived