Brewer Fanatic

Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can someone explain why Wheeler is such a hot guy at the tradeline? His numbers don't scream anything to me...Lots of K's, ok, what else? I realize that ERA isn't the only stat, but 4.71? Seriously?

Andy Martino of SNY.tv hears from a rival executive that they "fully expect" the Astros to acquire Zack Wheeler from the Mets.

Martino hears from other sources that the Braves, Brewers, Yankees, and Athletics could be among the clubs involved in talks. However, there's a lot of smoke with the Astros at the moment, suggesting that they could indeed be the favorites. The Mets have also discussed trading Noah Syndergaard, but the pricetag will be much higher than Wheeler since he carries another year of team control. Wheeler, an impending free agent, holds a 4.71 ERA and 137/34 K/BB ratio over 124 1/3 innings.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 9:47 AM ET

There just isn't many decent rental starters available, hence the huge perceived interest in Wheeler. Decent peripherals point to the idea that he's a guy that could improve if he gets out of that trainwreck of a team he's on.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone explain why Wheeler is such a hot guy at the tradeline? His numbers don't scream anything to me...Lots of K's, ok, what else? I realize that ERA isn't the only stat, but 4.71? Seriously?

Andy Martino of SNY.tv hears from a rival executive that they "fully expect" the Astros to acquire Zack Wheeler from the Mets.

Martino hears from other sources that the Braves, Brewers, Yankees, and Athletics could be among the clubs involved in talks. However, there's a lot of smoke with the Astros at the moment, suggesting that they could indeed be the favorites. The Mets have also discussed trading Noah Syndergaard, but the pricetag will be much higher than Wheeler since he carries another year of team control. Wheeler, an impending free agent, holds a 4.71 ERA and 137/34 K/BB ratio over 124 1/3 innings.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 9:47 AM ET

Depends on one's outlook.

I think most would agree that he turned a corner in 2018 and put in an excellent season.

So what is it in 2019? Is his style doomed in the juiced ball era? LOB%, BABIP, HR/FB, hard hit %, etc. are up.

Or is he just unlucky and you're going to get a 3.50 ERA/FIP/xFIP guy? The peripherals suggest his ERA should be a point lower.

He's arguably the same pitcher he was last year, the one that did put up good numbers that were legit...it's either luck or the juiced ball hurting him.

Community Moderator

Lets hear some predictions on where the following starting pitchers end up (if anywhere) over the next day....

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - ?

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - ?

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - ?

Robbie Ray, LHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - ?

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - ?

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - ?

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - ?

Mike Minor, LHP, Texas Rangers - ?

Zack Wheeler, RHP, New York Mets - ?

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - ?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Here are my predictions...

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - Not Traded

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - Padres

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - Braves

Robbie Ray, LHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Yankees

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Not Traded

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - Not Traded

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - Not Traded

Mike Minor, LHP, Texas Rangers - Twins

Zack Wheeler, RHP, New York Mets - Astros

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - Phillies

I'll predict the Brewers make a late run at acquiring Alex Wood after their top targets don't workout. I do think they'll add a significant bullpen addition of some sort, however.

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - NO TRADE

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - PADRES

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - NO TRADE

Robbie Ray, LHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - YANKEES

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - NO TRADE

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - NO TRADE

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - NO TRADe

Mike Minor, LHP, Texas Rangers - TWINS

Zack Wheeler, RHP, New York Mets - ASTROS

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - ATHLETICS

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - Stays put

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - Padres

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - Stays put

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Stays put (would love to put Brewers)

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - Stays put

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - Stays put

Mike Minor, LHP, Texas Rangers - Brewers

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - A's

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - Brewers

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - Brewers

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - Brewers

Robbie Ray, LHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Brewers

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Brewers

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - Brewers

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - Brewers

Zack Wheeler, RHP, New York Mets - Brewers

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - Brewers

imma nail at least one of these

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Community Moderator
Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - Brewers

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - Brewers

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - Brewers

Robbie Ray, LHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Brewers

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Brewers

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - Brewers

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - Brewers

Zack Wheeler, RHP, New York Mets - Brewers

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - Brewers

imma nail at least one of these

The beauty of it is we can just quote which one(s) end up correct and you’ll live on as a BF.net legend. I think you’ve got this whole prediction thing figured out. :laughing

I Am HighHeat19

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I Am HighHeat19

A few cocktails on a Tuesday morning? Nice...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm going to amend my prediction...I will keep the poart the same about the Brewers acquiring one of those listed starters...OR it will be someone not even on that list, and not just a "bit" piece either..An impactful arm. One way or another, I'm betting they WILL have another starter.

The more I think of it, Greinke makes a lot of sense if Arizona is tearing it down. If they can make the dollars and cents add up, he would be a great fit for this team.

Community Moderator
I'm going to amend my prediction...I will keep the poart the same about the Brewers acquiring one of those listed starters...OR it will be someone not even on that list, and not just a "bit" piece either..An impactful arm. One way or another, I'm betting they WILL have another starter.

Well Mike Leake might be on the move before his start tonight.

Any interest in Caleb Smith if the Marlins?

He took a big step this year, but he has extreme fly-ball tendencies. Thus, he relies on pitching in a cavernous park—Miller would not play to his strengths at all.

Caleb Smith has fanned 11 guys per 9 innings. Pitching in Miller Park might not play to his strengths but 14 of the 17 HR he's allowed have been solo HR, and opponents are only slugging .314 with men on base against him. He bears down with men on.

I was at the game he pitched at Miller Park in early June. Yelich got him once and Moose twice in that game, all solo shots, but he did get 7 groundball outs in 5 innings.

Well Mike Leake might be on the move before his start tonight.

Leake would be my target. The Mariners have shown they are more then willing to kick in money in trades and Leake wouldn't cost us a lot prospect wise. The real fun is that the Cards are still paying part of his salary, so acquiring him and have him start against them would really stick in their craw!

Mike Leake is not good. If that’s the acquisition I might as well open up my “Sell Mode” topic and let’s get pieces on the move.

Mike Leake is not good. If that’s the acquisition I might as well open up my “Sell Mode” topic and let’s get pieces on the move.

Thank You! No way to Mike Leake, how is he going to move the needle at all, other than he's a body to fill a spot in the rotation. That's it.

I won't say he's not good, just inconsistent. On July 12, he gave up 8 hits and 7 runs in less than one inning to the Angels. 7 days later a one hit, complete game against the same team.

Thank You! No way to Mike Leake, how is he going to move the needle at all, other than he's a body to fill a spot in the rotation. That's it.

Not only that. But, he's a guy you'd have to find a spot for next year at 11M and I think I saw a 5M buyout for him in 2021. Cannot imagine a scenario in which Stearns would be interested in that.

My guesses...

Trevor Bauer, RHP, Cleveland Indians - Not Traded

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets - Not Traded

Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants - Not Traded

Zack Greinke, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks - Not Traded

Caleb Smith, LHP, Miami Marlins - Not Traded

Matthew Boyd, LHP, Detroit Tigers - Not Traded

Mike Minor, LHP, Texas Rangers - Twins

Tanner Roark, RHP, Cincinnati Reds - Phillies

On a side note guess, Brewers get Dylan Bundy or Mike Leake plus random bullpen arm.

Per Ken Rosenthal:
The #Mets scratched Ervin Santana from his Triple A start today. Syndergaard scheduled to pitch for them in majors tonight. Not known whether two are linked.

Archived