Brewer Fanatic

Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much would a trade of both Ray and Greinke cost?

Take on all of Greinke and it might not be too crazy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder if the Brewers could handle the Trevor Bauer experience...

Don’t want Bauer anywhere near the Brewers clubhouse.

Other than Cleveland being ravaged with injuries this year and not adding enough on offense, therefore putting them at only 19 games over .500, what in the past few years of Cleveland's performance would suggest that he's going to be a locker room problem?

Now, I have concerns on the pitcher himself given he's falling back to pre-2017 form and do think he's a bit crazy...but if he's a locker room problem, it doesn't really seem so in the W-L column.

Still think Baltimore's Dylan Bundy could be Jake Arrieta 2.0 with a change of scenery.

Controlled through 2021. Hope he's on Stearns radar as a buy low candidate.

On one hand we don't have much to lose given the alternative to Bundy is AAA fodder...on the other hand, you'd better be pretty certain you know what's wrong with Bundy immediately or you're going to waste the rest of 2019 with him getting shelled finding out and you're going to give up prospects in doing so.

Just taking him out of the AL East will help big time. Seems like a good target to me based on team control and that he has basic competency as it is to go with still a lot of upside. All depends on what you have to give up but one would think they can't be demanding too much.

I posed this on Twitter the other day. One stop shopping in Arizona:

Zack Greinke, Robbie Ray and Archie Bradley

If the Brewers could eat a substantial amount of the 2 years+ $80m+ left on Greinke's deal, might Arizona be willing to deal Ray and Bradley for a lesser prospect package. I still think it would cost Dubon, Ray and Lutz type package but, if the financials work, I think that trade immediately vaults the Brewers above the Cubs and Cardinals in the Central.

A rotation that has a top 3 of Woodruff, Ray and Greinke would be real nice.

Verified Member
Wheeler and Lugo please. I want to keep a significant amount of payroll flexibility this offseason and into next year. If we add too much and are a middling contender again next year we are going to be stuck with way too many old expensive veterans and no farm system to speak of and the early-to-mid-to-late 2020s are going to be miserable.

If the Brewers could eat a substantial amount of the 2 years+ $80m+ left on Greinke's deal, might Arizona be willing to deal Ray and Bradley for a lesser prospect package. I still think it would cost Dubon, Ray and Lutz type package but, if the financials work, I think that trade immediately vaults the Brewers above the Cubs and Cardinals in the Central.

I LOVE this idea...I would change one thing though, instead of Bradley, how about Chafin instead?? Probably the best LH reliever available.

The problem is the payroll would approach $170-180M. Not affordable in any way, shape, or form.

The problem is the payroll would approach $170-180M. Not affordable in any way, shape, or form.

I'm not sure it would get that high. This year's payroll would be $135 in the end given that they'd pay a little over $10 for the rest of the season.

Next year they could probably get back down to $130 if they make minimal moves and do not pick up options on Anderson, Thames or non-tender Shaw. Of course not all of those things are necessary. The following year, Braun would be mostly off the books.

You're right that the payroll would be too high but I think if they were very crafty they could keep it around $130-140, which is probably still unrealistic.

Don't think Brewers can afford or would be willing to add Greinke's $32Million per season to the payroll through 2021.

Generally I agree with this, but it might not be as far-fetched as you think.

If neither of Grandal ($16M) nor Moose ($7M) come back, that's $23M right there. Add in Chacin ($6.75M) and Perez ($2.5M) and you are at $32.25M coming off the books. Plus Albers ($2.5M), Spangenberg ($1.2M, not sure if he has a split contract), and my guess is that Jeffress isn't back at the $4.3M team option (another $3.1M). Nelson ($3.7M) is another possible cut, and they could trade Anderson or Davies if they pick up Greinke. But it really depends on Grandal coming back.

My biggest concern with Greinke is his age - he's about to turn 36. I don't want to pay him $35M for his age 37 season.

Greinke's no trade list...

Greinke can block a trade to the following teams: Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays.

I think you only want Greinke back if he wants to be here. He is kind of a weird dude.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Greinke can block a trade to the following teams: Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays.

Greinke? Waaaaay too big of salary. How is that affordable for next season? This acquisition would be the only major move the team could do for NEXT season.

Creative minds would have a major problem trying to get this thing accomplished to each side's satisfaction.

Community Moderator

In other words, assuming that list is accurate, here are the teams NOT included on Greinke’s no trade list:

* Atlanta Braves

* Miami Marlins

* New York Mets

* Washington Nationals

* Chicago Cubs

* Milwaukee Brewers

* Pittsburgh Pirates

* Tampa Bay Rays

* Chicago White Sox

* Cleveland Indians

* Kansas City Royals

* Houston Astros

* Seattle Mariners

* Texas Rangers

Not just “at Night” anymore.

In other words, assuming that list is accurate, here are the teams NOT included on Greinke’s no trade list:

* Atlanta Braves

* Miami Marlins

* New York Mets

* Washington Nationals

* Chicago Cubs

* Milwaukee Brewers

* Pittsburgh Pirates

* Tampa Bay Rays

* Chicago White Sox

* Cleveland Indians

* Kansas City Royals

* Houston Astros

* Seattle Mariners

* Texas Rangers

That is such a Greinke list. No LA teams. No Yankees. Has the Pirates, Rays, Brewers and Royals.

* Atlanta Braves

* Miami Marlins

* New York Mets

* Washington Nationals

* Chicago Cubs

* Milwaukee Brewers

* Pittsburgh Pirates

* Tampa Bay Rays

* Chicago White Sox

* Cleveland Indians

* Kansas City Royals

* Houston Astros

* Seattle Mariners

* Texas Rangers

That is such a Greinke list. No LA teams. No Yankees. Has the Pirates, Rays, Brewers and Royals.

And actually if you think about it, the Brewers stand out on this list..a bunch of non contenders, Astros are going other places for Pitching, Cubs don't need him, nor do the Nats(their focus is bullpen), and I can't see the Braves doing it either.

Greinke? Waaaaay too big of salary. How is that affordable for next season? This acquisition would be the only major move the team could do for NEXT season.

Creative minds would have a major problem trying to get this thing accomplished to each side's satisfaction.

You set a price on the remaining contract that you're willing to pay relative to the 2019 budget and beyond, then talk prospects beyond that. The trade value site has Grienke valued significantly negatively because of his contract, despite how great he's been this year. If the Brewers have the flexibility to take on a chunk of that, their prospect cost should stay fairly low.

Can someone explain why Wheeler is such a hot guy at the trade deadline? His numbers don't scream anything to me...Lots of K's, ok, what else? I realize that ERA isn't the only stat, but 4.71? Seriously?

Andy Martino of SNY.tv hears from a rival executive that they "fully expect" the Astros to acquire Zack Wheeler from the Mets.

Martino hears from other sources that the Braves, Brewers, Yankees, and Athletics could be among the clubs involved in talks. However, there's a lot of smoke with the Astros at the moment, suggesting that they could indeed be the favorites. The Mets have also discussed trading Noah Syndergaard, but the pricetag will be much higher than Wheeler since he carries another year of team control. Wheeler, an impending free agent, holds a 4.71 ERA and 137/34 K/BB ratio over 124 1/3 innings.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 9:47 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived