Brewer Fanatic

Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition

Marc Carig

@MarcCarig

Impression is that trading for Noah Syndergaard would require a top 30 prospect and a couple of other solid pieces, one rival exec said earlier today.

Please please PLEASE DS get this done...PLEASE I'm begging you.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Marc Carig

@MarcCarig

Impression is that trading for Noah Syndergaard would require a top 30 prospect and a couple of other solid pieces, one rival exec said earlier today.

How are the Brewers going to find a Top 30 prospect? Conjure one out of thin air? Grisham and Turang are their best, and they are borderline Top 100 guys. They sure ain't trading Hiura for Syndergaard.

Marc Carig

@MarcCarig

How are the Brewers going to find a Top 30 prospect? Conjure one out of thin air? Grisham and Turang are their best, and they are borderline Top 100 guys. They sure ain't trading Hiura for Syndergaard.

It could mean a top 30 organizational prospect. That of course is a starting point for the Mets...The Brewers have enough to get it done, if they iinclude Freddy and Burnes + stuff.

I know it wouldn't make any sense, but MAYBE just MAYBE Shaw is coming up because they are actually considering moving Hiura.

Marc Carig

@MarcCarig

We can give them an assortment of 25 prospects.

It could mean a top 30 organizational prospect.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

Seriously, have seen twitter chatter that people are trying to get clarification of that...this is the Mets we are talking about you know??

It obviously meant Top 30 MLB prospect. Would Peralta have that kind of value? Perhaps, but it would depend on the team.

It could mean a top 30 organizational prospect.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

Seriously, have seen twitter chatter that people are trying to get clarification of that...this is the Mets we are talking about you know??

There is no need for clarification. If they were looking for a top 30 organizational prospect to start a freaking trade they would've said "We'll take whatever 3 crap prospects you offer. Here's our 30th best prospect and two others in the 31-50 range." Can guarantee that's not what they're asking for.

As I said in the Shaw call up page, this smells like the beginning of other moves. I wouldn't want to deal Hiura for Syndergaard straight up. However, I won't be totally shocked if the Shaw move was the first domino to fall and Hiura is moved for Syndergaard. I wouldn't do it but I would understand it.

My best offer would be something along the lines of Peralta, Ray and Lutz and I HIGHLY doubt that gets it done.

If Hiura is off limits, best case scenario is Peralta or Burnes would be a starting point for Thor. Turang I would assume is a non-starter as the headliner. Heck they may even want him as the 2nd piece pending how good the other offers are and how they value Burnes/Peralta.

There is no need for clarification. If they were looking for a top 30 organizational prospect to start a freaking trade they would've said "We'll take whatever 3 crap prospects you offer. Here's our 30th best prospect and two others in the 31-50 range." Can guarantee that's not what they're asking for.

Fine...whatever, all I know is I'm tired of people here not wanting to be buyers..I'd trade Hiura for the right price. EVERYONE is trade able for the right price.

Fine...whatever, all I know is I'm tired of people here not wanting to be buyers..I'd trade Hiura for the right price. EVERYONE is trade able for the right price.

Oh good grief. People have explained why they don’t agree with you. That’s all man. It’s a message board. Don’t pout because you don’t see eye to eye with posters.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Let's take it down a notch. Everyone has a POV, and not everyone has the same POV.

Top 30 prospect plus two other solid pieces means, minimum, 60 million in surplus value with the Mets shooting to get the number in the 70-80 million range. I don't see the Brewers as a match here. Even if they would be willing to offer up Hiura, where would the Mets play him? Cano's contract is way to rich to ship to small-market Milwaukee, and it's very unlikely the Met's ownership would be willing to eat a big chunk of Cano's contract AND trade away Syndergaard in the same deal. Only possibility is if the Mets don't think J.D. Davis has a future, and they are willing to play Cano at 3B for the next few seasons. I don't see this one happening.

As I said in the Shaw call up page, this smells like the beginning of other moves.

This smells like not needing a 5th starter for a while and instead calling up an extra bat during that time. And if it's a move, it's not going to be Hiura.

Oh and as for the SP tier list; both Jordan Lyles and Alex Wood are free agents after this season.

I think the answer to whether they are buyers or sellers will likely be they are both. They need starting pitching now but also for 2020. Picking up a guy like Duffy or another arm with control for a year or two beyond makes sense. A second pure rental may also make sense. Shaw's trade value is still reasonably high. His raking in AAA will encourage teams that still see him as a run producing middle of the order bat. It may depend on how confident the Brewers are in their ability to bring back Moose. I think they are confident they can on a 2-3 year deal.

Losing Woodruff was a big blow, but this isn't a tipping point for the start of another rebuild. Far from it. When you have a lineup that starts with Yelich and Hiura, the last thought is rebuilding.

Losing Woodruff was a big blow, but this isn't a tipping point for the start of another rebuild. Far from it. When you have a lineup that starts with Yelich and Hiura, the last thought is rebuilding.

+1.

Woodruff is 26, Davies is 26, Houser is 26, Burnes is 24, and Peralta is 23, and the last two are far from a finished product. Hell, Peralta has had eight starts of 6IP or more with 1 ER or less. Eight. Not time to give up on him as a starter.

+1.

Woodruff is 26, Davies is 26, Houser is 26, Burnes is 24, and Peralta is 23, and the last two are far from a finished product. Hell, Peralta has had eight starts of 6IP or more with 1 ER or less. Eight. Not time to give up on him as a starter.

So did Taylor Jungmann, or thereabouts. I mean that's just kind of a very arbitrary stat to use. Peralta also has about the same number of really, really bad starts. The upside is definitely there but the inconsistency is probably something they just can't afford right now.

Counsell has already pretty much said he prefers Peralta in the role he's in right now and the pen could definitely use him there. If it gets revisited in the offseason, which it likely will, that's great. But not this year.

+1.

So did Taylor Jungmann, or thereabouts. I mean that's just kind of a very arbitrary stat to use. Peralta also has about the same number of really, really bad starts. The upside is definitely there but the inconsistency is probably something they just can't afford right now.

Counsell has already pretty much said he prefers Peralta in the role he's in right now and the pen could definitely use him there. If it gets revisited in the offseason, which it likely will, that's great. But not this year.

I'm not talking about right now, I'm talking about the near future not being a rebuild.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets are aggressively trying to trade starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard.

The club has received multiple trade offers for Syndergaard. Sherman's report included quotes from rival team executives saying "They are definitely trading Syndergaard" and the Mets are "working very hard on this." Syndergaard is under team control for two more full seasons and would surely command a high price on the trade market even though he hasn't been all that good this year (7-5, 4.33 ERA in 20 starts). His track record of elite performance in prior seasons will convince other teams that they can fix him. The Mets want a back-end major league starter and multiple top prospects in return for Thor. Trade rumors have been focused primarily on the Padres, Braves and Dodgers. Sherman said the Mets are looking to move Edwin Diaz as well.

Source: New York Post

Jul 27, 2019, 9:34 AM ET

No mention of the Brewers, which is why I expect him to be a Brewer soon...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets are aggressively trying to trade starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard.

The club has received multiple trade offers for Syndergaard. Sherman's report included quotes from rival team executives saying "They are definitely trading Syndergaard" and the Mets are "working very hard on this." Syndergaard is under team control for two more full seasons and would surely command a high price on the trade market even though he hasn't been all that good this year (7-5, 4.33 ERA in 20 starts). His track record of elite performance in prior seasons will convince other teams that they can fix him. The Mets want a back-end major league starter and multiple top prospects in return for Thor. Trade rumors have been focused primarily on the Padres, Braves and Dodgers. Sherman said the Mets are looking to move Edwin Diaz as well.

Don't tease me like that...I would be absolutely through the moon ecstatic.

Don't tease me like that...I would be absolutely through the moon ecstatic.

Does Aaron Wilkerson count at a “back of the rotation arm”?[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

Archived