Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
Some team is going to get such a steal in the 2nd round when they pick Taylor

I don't think he will last until the 2nd round he will definitely go in the 1st round but it will probably be late. He should really be a top 15 player but he will go somewhere in the 20-28 range.

Very few draft analysts even have him as the number 1 running back and I don't think I have seen him mocked in the first round anywhere in the last month

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Badgers don’t do their great RB’s any favors as they rarely display them in the passing game. I know there was an effort there this past season but overall it hasn’t helped them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Some team is going to get such a steal in the 2nd round when they pick Taylor

I don't think he will last until the 2nd round he will definitely go in the 1st round but it will probably be late. He should really be a top 15 player but he will go somewhere in the 20-28 range.

Very few draft analysts even have him as the number 1 running back and I don't think I have seen him mocked in the first round anywhere in the last month

I thought I saw on ESPN or the NFL Network with Taylor going to the Titans in the first round. I was at a bar so memory is a little fuzzy on that.

I thought I saw on ESPN or the NFL Network with Taylor going to the Titans in the first round. I was at a bar so memory is a little fuzzy on that.

You are correct. Daniel Jeremiah's first mock. He had Dobbins going to the Dolphins earlier. Dobbins elected not to work out at the combine.

I think part of the rankings come with how WI RBs have performed in the NFL. Gordon has 1 season above 1,000yards. Sure we'll call it 2 (997) in 5 seasons. After Gordon, which WI RB has seen that success? So I would think that there's a knock on the WI with the system and OL put in front of them. Looking at draft history and rarely are there more than 2 RBs drafted in the 1st round, if any drafted in 1st at all. The game is a passing league, RB is constantly a, "We want to run the football more." But there's Gordon with only 2 seasons getting above 200carries and the other 3 avg around 13 carries a game. You also have the Fumble history with Taylor. You have the workload to ding how long a career he'll have. Whoever drafts him though is likely getting the best RB in the 2020 class.

Looking at Walter Football, Charlie Cambell has Taylor going 26th to Miami. Taylor may be jumping up certainly as a 1st round pick after his Combine. I'd begin paying attention where mocks put him moving forward.

I could have missed that. Just looked through about 10 and none had Taylor in the first round. Swift and Dobbins almost always going before him

Kind of surprised Cephus ran that slow a 40, he seemed quick enough in games for the NFL. I think he made the right choice entering the draft, he isn't going to improve his stock much and delaying entry is also delaying potential free agency down the road not to mention a year of NFL pay. His hands are great from what I have seen, actually a strength not a weakness. As I think others have said I hope the Packers grab him if he does drop to the 5th round.

For Taylor it's just simply that teams don't value RB's much, you have to be really special to go high in the draft. 20 years ago he would have gone top 10.

Taylor's final numbers (and ranks among RB participants)

40 yard dash = 4.39, 1st out of 28

reps of 225 = 17, 16th out of 23

vertical = 36, 11th out of 28

broad jump = 10'3", 8th out of 27

20 yard shuttle = 4.24, 5th out of 15

3 cone = 7.01, 4th out of 11

I figured Taylor would go in the #40-#50 range pre-combine, but he probably has a pretty decent chance of being a top 20 pick after posting these numbers.

I’m not a Badger fan even in the slightest, but ex Wisconsin running back James White has done pretty well for himself in the NFL. A team captain on a perennial Super Bowl team is a pretty high achievement.

As a Receiving RB yes extremely well with Brady check downs 2809yds receiving, 1119 rushing 5 seasons. I think if White had been on GB he wouldn't have lasted all too long. That's less than 250yards a season rushing. Though I do see he's eclipsed that each of the last 2 seasons. Maybe he'll break out to 1,000 before he ends his career. I always liked White better than Ball or Clay. He did some things I believe his Fr. year or first year that were more thrilling/talented than the other 2. Just to date, he's not your classic RB, but a true 3rd down RB.

Like I mentioned, watch that mocks now over what you seen before the combine, there's no reason for Taylor not to be considered a 1st rd choice now.

Taylor's final numbers (and ranks among RB participants)

40 yard dash = 4.39, 1st out of 28

reps of 225 = 17, 16th out of 23

vertical = 36, 11th out of 28

broad jump = 10'3", 8th out of 27

20 yard shuttle = 4.24, 5th out of 15

3 cone = 7.01, 4th out of 11

I figured Taylor would go in the #40-#50 range pre-combine, but he probably has a pretty decent chance of being a top 20 pick after posting these numbers.

These combine numbers are better than Ezekial Elliot's who was drafted 4th. Ohio St versus WI reputation.

Zack Baun

I'm listing weight ranking because there is such a wide variance of size for players that work out as linebackers. Top weight this year is 280 and the lightest is 224.

Weight = 238, 19th out of 44

40 time = 4.65, 13th out of 30

reps of 225 = 24, 3rd out of 27

vertical jump = 32.5, 19th out of 31

broad jump = 9'7", 27th out of 31

20 yard shuttle = 4.31, 10th out of 19

3 cone = 7.00, 5th out of 16

Not very good in the jumps but pretty solid everywhere else. Have to think scouts are pretty disappointed that so many linebackers skipped the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drills (including a couple of top ILB candidates in LSU's Patrick Queen and Oklahoma's Kenneth Murray).

• 2 weeks later...
Cephus ran a 4.56 at UW's pro day today. Not blazing, but a heck of a lot better than his combine number. That might sneak him into 3rd-4th round territory.

I want to say UW's track is considered 'fast'. Or, at least it used to be over the years. Not sure if that's changed or is new. But if that's still the case they'll probably weigh the other stuff more. I think he's fast enough though, I'd guess he gets slowed down less by the pads than most.

Also, saw Bielema back on campus for the pro day working the Giants. Kinda funny.

Ohio State has signed 7 top 100 players. The rest of the Big Ten has signed 6.

I recalled this quoted post from Homer when I noticed the attached item...

Kudos to Chris Haering placing 3rd on the list of top 8 asst coaches for recruiting.

That's a little deceptive on Haering because his territory is Wisconsin and generally Bucky is able to get early commitments from all the Wisconsin kids. All five of those commits are Wisconsin kids and 2 of them are 4-star recruits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zack Baun will become the seventh LB from the 2015 Wisconsin Badgers team to be drafted, and assuming he doesn't get injured, will be the eighth LB from that team to play in the NFL.

If Chris Orr at least gets signed as an UDFA, it will make ten LBs from the 2015 team to be in a NFL training camp.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Zack Baun will become the seventh LB from the 2015 Wisconsin Badgers team to be drafted, and assuming he doesn't get injured, will be the eighth LB from that team to play in the NFL.

If Chris Orr at least gets signed as an UDFA, it will make ten LBs from the 2015 team to be in a NFL training camp.

Switching to the 3-4 seems like it's been a good thing for generating LBs. Could just be a coincidence I guess but I wonder what would have happened to guys like TJ Watt, Baun, Joe Schobert, Biegel, etc. under the 4-3 that Bielema ran?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

With the 2020 NFL draft now over, I went thru the NFL.com draft tracker to breakdown the draftees by school.

Here are the results for the Big10 schools & I was surprised by a few results. 51 total draftees, 30 from the East & 21 from the West

EAST

OSU - 10

Michigan - 10

Penn State - 5

MSU - 2

Maryland - 2

Indiana - 1

Rutgers - 0

WEST

Iowa - 5

Minnesota - 5

Nebraska - 5