Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82

Anquan Boldin was a 4.7 guy I believe. He's a fringe HOF'er. Even guys like that turd Antonio Brown ran damn near a 4.6- 40.

Cephus has hands and he showed he can separate at the college level and had some pretty athletic catches. Had he had any what of a QB or an actual offense to push the ball to receivers, his numbers would have been better. We shall see if he can do that at the next level but I wouldn't put it past him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anquan Boldin was a 4.7 guy I believe. He's a fringe HOF'er. Even guys like that turd Antonio Brown ran damn near a 4.6- 40.

Cephus has hands and he showed he can separate at the college level and had some pretty athletic catches. Had he had any what of a QB or an actual offense to push the ball to receivers, his numbers would have been better. We shall see if he can do that at the next level but I wouldn't put it past him.

Brown's pro day 40 was 4.5...that's a huge gap in terms of the distance to 4.7 plus. Boldin was slow, but he probably was more highly regarded as a player going into the draft and rightfully so.

I agree that the 40 time isnt everything, but it's a huge factor for mid round guys to solidify their draft grade in the wr room. Cephus' tape will look better than his combine numbers, so hopefully him being slow for a wideout doesnt prevent him from being drafted. Otherwise he made a bad decision entering this draft, which is full of wr quality.

NFL.com had Cephus as the #81 player in the draft prior to the combine, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up in their rankings.

Total breakdown of where Cephus ranked among the other WRs at this combine.

40-time = 4.73, 45th out of 45

reps of 225 = 23, 1st out of 32

Vertical Jump = 38.5, 8th out of 46

Broad Jump = 10'4", 15th out of 43

20 yard shuttle = 4.33, 9th out of 25

3 cone = 7.2, 17th out of 26

So pretty impressive everywhere else. Top of the list in reps of 225 and also a standout in the vertical jump.

I still get the feeling the 40-time limits him to fifth round tops, but we'll see what happens. I can't imagine he'll do anything other than running the 40 at the Pro Day. Note that D'Cota Dixon ran a 4.81 at last year's combine and then ran a 4.62 at Wisconsin's Pro Day.

NFL.com had Cephus as the #81 player in the draft prior to the combine, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up in their rankings.

So pretty impressive everywhere else. Top of the list in reps of 225 and also a standout in the vertical jump.

I still get the feeling the 40-time limits him to fifth round tops, but we'll see what happens. I can't imagine he'll do anything other than running the 40 at the Pro Day. Note that D'Cota Dixon ran a 4.81 at last year's combine and then ran a 4.62 at Wisconsin's Pro Day.

I get the feeling Cephus will probably run in the high 4.5s at his pro day. He'll probably go in the 4th-5th round, and be a steal there.

Yep, Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine according to P-F-R.com and measured 6'1, 216. Boldin also only had a 33.5 vertical, whereas Cephus had a reported 38" vertical. Cephus also led all WRs in the bench press, signaling that he will likely not get bullied at the line with press coverage and will be a good run blocker and special teams gunner.

The concern with Cephus in terms of where he gets drafted will be the 40-time in combination with his hand measurement (a smaller-than-average 8 3/4"). If Cephus can run good agility drills (short shuttle, 3-cone drill), he could easily get drafted as a slot receiver.

What is often said among NFL scouts is that they look for guys who outperform their measurables. If Cephus is still there at the end of the 5th round, much less the 6th where the Packers have three picks, I grab him in a heartbeat.

Edit: well, the 3-cone wasn't impressive. I'm thinking he still gets drafted, likely 5th/6th round, but he will need to indicate that he is more than willing to play special teams.

Yep, Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine according to P-F-R.com and measured 6'1, 216. Boldin also only had a 33.5 vertical, whereas Cephus had a reported 38" vertical. Cephus also led all WRs in the bench press, signaling that he will likely not get bullied at the line with press coverage and will be a good run blocker and special teams gunner.

The concern with Cephus in terms of where he gets drafted will be the 40-time in combination with his hand measurement (a smaller-than-average 8 3/4"). If Cephus can run good agility drills (short shuttle, 3-cone drill), he could easily get drafted as a slot receiver.

What is often said among NFL scouts is that they look for guys who outperform their measurables. If Cephus is still there at the end of the 5th round, much less the 6th where the Packers have three picks, I grab him in a heartbeat.

Edit: well, the 3-cone wasn't impressive. I'm thinking he still gets drafted, likely 5th/6th round, but he will need to indicate that he is more than willing to play special teams.

Gute taking Cephus when a huge majority of the fanbase (kinda rightfully admittedly) is begging for speed at that position would be such a huge "screw you!" I would love it.

I will just take guys that get open. I think it's proven that you have to be a great route runner and have good to great hands to make it in the NFL. The speed thing doesn't apply if you can't do either of the other two. I believe Cephus can.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Those numbers tell me Cephus is probably carrying a bit too much weight for his frame - even if it is muscle. Good vertical and broad jump #'s indicate he's got some good leg strength for his size, decent 20 yard shuttle indicates he's pretty quick getting in and out of breaks. Great bench indicates he's put together up top. However, the poor 40 says his top end speed is limited and poor 3 cone indicates he doesn't have as much jitterbug in him due to the weight up top he has to move.

I'm not saying at all that he's out of shape - in fact his frame probably lets his speed/route running play better in pads than guys who look more like track sprinters. Guessing he'll put up a better pro day time because he'll probably cut some weight and won't have to redo the bench due to a great combine showing.

Someone will take a shot on Cephus. There is a lot of redzone potential in him in my opinion. Every QB would love a guy who can win jump balls. There have been some slow combine runners picked in the first half of the draft in recent years.

That being said his 40 time is only faster than 4 players in the 21st century.

Saw a tweet yesterday showing all the top 40 times for WRs of the last X amount of years and none of them amounted to anything in the league so far. With how strong Cephus is you have to wonder if he gets slowed down less by the pads than most guys. Certainly didn't look slow out on the field. Really, they should be running in pads if you want this stuff to be more accurate, or do it both ways. Plus, as NE has shown year after year shiftiness/quickness are more important than straight ahead speed. IDK how Cephus matches up on that topic though.

Taylor has been saying he expects to get below 4.5, you'd think he knows what he can do so it would be dumb to be saying it. but we'll see I guess.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he'll get drafted as a possession receiver with potential for more. Dude has small hands but they are really strong and he always seems to be able to get open. Okudah said he was the best receiver he played against all year. I'm totally fine if the Pack take him round 5 or later.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Someone will take a shot on Cephus. There is a lot of redzone potential in him in my opinion. Every QB would love a guy who can win jump balls. There have been some slow combine runners picked in the first half of the draft in recent years.

That being said his 40 time is only faster than 4 players in the 21st century.

Only about .06 slower than Michael Irvin.

I believe 40 times are overrated as it doesn't really translate all that well to the football field. I would be more interested on how well someone runs with pads on and it is impossible to tell how fast someone is going to run with pads on from a 40 time. A player that runs a 4.7 in a 40 without pads will run at about 4.9 with pads on while a player who runs a 4.3 or a 4.2 without pads may run at 4.6 or 4.7 with pads on. There is even cases where a player who runs a 4.6 or 4.7 without pads runs the same with pads on.

To me the 40 times are useless as it doesn't really tell you all that much about the player and what they can do on the field. If this were track then yeah the 40 times matter but this is football not track.

Shocked they haven’t simply taken the 40 time out of the evaluation. Pretty pointless and if you’re drafting guys based on it, you’re a fool.

Some team is going to get such a steal in the 2nd round when they pick Taylor

I don't think he will last until the 2nd round he will definitely go in the 1st round but it will probably be late. He should really be a top 15 player but he will go somewhere in the 20-28 range.

Jonathon Taylor ran a 4.41 at 226 pounds. That's a heck of a statement. He's got every measurable you'd look for in a franchise 3-down RB.

That's the number I saw earlier but it looks like they are going to put the official number at 4.39. Also looks like non-spectacular but solid numbers in the vertical jump (36) and broad jump (10'3"). No numbers on the agility drills yet.

Fumbling is an issue. Just can't find much else wrong with the guy. Really should be a first rounder IMO.

Some team is going to get such a steal in the 2nd round when they pick Taylor

I don't think he will last until the 2nd round he will definitely go in the 1st round but it will probably be late. He should really be a top 15 player but he will go somewhere in the 20-28 range.

There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be the first RB off the board.

I still believe Cephus is a 4th-5th rounder. He could sneak into the 3rd round if a team falls in love with him but I always thought his ceiling was a 3rd rounder but I don't think he gets drafted in the 3rd a team would have to fall in love with him. I wouldn't be surprised with the Patriots taking Cephus and him having a great 3-4 year run with them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Taylor ran a 4.41
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Shocked they haven’t simply taken the 40 time out of the evaluation. Pretty pointless and if you’re drafting guys based on it, you’re a fool.

I remember the old Raiders owner was such sucker for 40 yard times. I think Heyward-Bey had a crazy 40 yard time and they took him Top 10.

Archived