Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82

Cruikshank went there due to being close to home and I think he has 3-4 HS teammates on the team. Still, surprising with how PT UW has coming available but everyone can have their own priorities.

For that commitment, my understanding is it's not Bradford but besides that UW is completely tight lipped about it. Supposedly won't come out until signing day but the chatter is that it's supposed to be a big one. So I'd assume a 4 star, if not a RB I don't where else it would come from though. I hope for WR, CB, DL.

I'd say the painkiller thing is not just a UW thing. That was also close to 10 years ago now kind of before the massive health push started. I'd expect this is much better all over CFB now and at UW the team isn't lead by a meathead anymore and I'd expect they've improved. But, painkillers I'm sure are still a big thing all over. I remember a few years ago someone in the media making a push about it and how it's probably worse than any PED out there but everyone is looking the other way on it. I assume that was NFL focused.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For that commitment, my understanding is it's not Bradford but besides that UW is completely tight lipped about it. Supposedly won't come out until signing day but the chatter is that it's supposed to be a big one. So I'd assume a 4 star, if not a RB I don't where else it would come from though. I hope for WR, CB, DL

I just don't know who else it would be if not Bradford. They're not really in on anyone else, unless there's a major surprise flip someplace.

For that commitment, my understanding is it's not Bradford but besides that UW is completely tight lipped about it. Supposedly won't come out until signing day but the chatter is that it's supposed to be a big one. So I'd assume a 4 star, if not a RB I don't where else it would come from though. I hope for WR, CB, DL

I just don't know who else it would be if not Bradford. They're not really in on anyone else, unless there's a major surprise flip someplace.

Yea one of the writers said he can't figure it out either and says UW isn't talking on it. I assume he got it from Bradford that it's not him. Says this is very rare so chances are it's going to be a top tier (relative to UW anyway) type guy. We'll see, 2 or so weeks until signing day I think. Also, if the guy is this high profile lets see if he actually sticks with it and someone else doesn't flip him before signing day.

Well, the #1 ranked RB in the class, Zachary Evans, asked for and was granted his release from Georgia...

Other than that, some UW coaches started following on Twitter a grad transfer WR from Virginia Tech (Damon Hazelton, Jr.). He already transferred once though and needs a waiver to transfer a second time, apparently even if he has graduated, which could be the "rare" part and why they are tight-lipped.

Well, the #1 ranked RB in the class, Zachary Evans, asked for and was granted his release from Georgia...

Other than that, some UW coaches started following on Twitter a grad transfer WR from Virginia Tech (Damon Hazelton, Jr.). He already transferred once though and needs a waiver to transfer a second time, apparently even if he has graduated, which could be the "rare" part and why they are tight-lipped.

I think the implication is that it's a 2020 recruit, not a transfer, but you could be right.

None. CTE is a big part of the doc. They give many reasons for why Hernandez turned the way he did, just one of which is his extremely advanced CTE; the doctor that tested his brain reported it was by far the most extreme case in someone so young. Borland retired due to concussion concerns, but several ex players are interviewed about head trauma.

Borland got his $463K for one year of not playing. Guess it didn't concern him too much...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/chris-borland-14487/

None. CTE is a big part of the doc. They give many reasons for why Hernandez turned the way he did, just one of which is his extremely advanced CTE; the doctor that tested his brain reported it was by far the most extreme case in someone so young. Borland retired due to concussion concerns, but several ex players are interviewed about head trauma.

Borland got his $463K for one year of not playing. Guess it didn't concern him too much...

Borland made 8 starts and played in 14 games for the 49ers in 2014, making 107 tackles. He had to pay back 3/4th of his signing bonus after he announced his retirement. Just because Borland counted for $463K against the 49ers 2015 cap doesn't mean that he saw that money. He didn't.

If I was Borland I would've tried to milk SF for more money rather than walking. Come in the next year and be 'hurt' the whole year and you get paid, stuff like that. Essentially, his body already took the toll while playing for free in HS and college, he was finally about to get the payout on it and then he quit. I wanna say pension starts after 3 years too. Basically play but take any opportunity you can to be out injured. Next thing you know two more seasons have gone by and you've only played like 8 total games but you have a few mil in the bank and pension. They're basically not allowed to hit in practice anymore. Of course, easy to say when its not your body on the line. And if you're a guy who's played so hard, tough, and agressively it can't be easy to basically halfass it. I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't blame or rip on him for taking any money he could from them, he'd earned it over the years.

If I was Borland I would've tried to milk SF for more money rather than walking. Come in the next year and be 'hurt' the whole year and you get paid, stuff like that. Essentially, his body already took the toll while playing for free in HS and college, he was finally about to get the payout on it and then he quit. I wanna say pension starts after 3 years too. Basically play but take any opportunity you can to be out injured. Next thing you know two more seasons have gone by and you've only played like 8 total games but you have a few mil in the bank and pension. They're basically not allowed to hit in practice anymore. Of course, easy to say when its not your body on the line. And if you're a guy who's played so hard, tough, and agressively it can't be easy to basically halfass it. I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't blame or rip on him for taking any money he could from them, he'd earned it over the years.

If I remember correctly, he said something to the effect that he knew he wouldn't be able to go out there and not play 100%. If he was on the team he would run through a wall for his teammates. Those arent his exact words, but one of the interviews he talked about it.

Borland is a hero for exposing a side of the game that is hidden from us. Sports reporters really have no incentive to tell dirty truths when their consumers just want happy football talk.

But it's important for us to know if a program is worth our fandom and our money.

Borland made 8 starts and played in 14 games for the 49ers in 2014, making 107 tackles. He had to pay back 3/4th of his signing bonus after he announced his retirement. Just because Borland counted for $463K against the 49ers 2015 cap doesn't mean that he saw that money. He didn't.

Thanks. That was an awful take and I didn't have to waste any time dispelling it.

It's so odd to me when fans try to take potshots at players who criticize the league.

I think the implication is that it's a 2020 recruit, not a transfer, but you could be right.

Nothing ever really came of this big rumor and no talk really. Wonder if the kid ended up picking elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
WR coach Ted Gilmore leaves the Badgers to become the tight end coach at Michigan State. Pretty significant lose for the Badgers IMO. Not sure how I feel about the timing of this either. On one had I like it because it happened in the short window where it won't impact last year's recruiting and it's so early where the impact on next year's class should be minimal. On the other hand, it's so late in the process that there probably aren't that many good options to fill that spot. At first look, there doesn't appear to be a younger "analyst" type on the staff that appears to be a natural fit to step into the role. Chryst will likely have to poach someone off of another school's staff.

Cephus = 6-0 7/8, 202

8 3/4 hands (very small, Mike Sherman would not draft him!)

led all WRs with 23 reps of 225 pounds

Taylor = 5-10 1/4, 226

Biadasz = 6-3 5/8, 314

arm length = 32 1/4

Baun = 6-2 3/8, 238

238 is a good number for Baun. Lots of talk around Madison was that he was generally playing in the 225-230 range but that was all rumor.

For those wondering, Chris Orr was not an invite.

And in the absolute shocker category, Alex Hornibrook was also not invited.

Cephus bombed the 40-yard dash. 4.73 first attempt, 4.74 second attempt...official time will go down as 4.73.

Hard to imagine Cephus going in the first four rounds after this. The first pick in round five of last year's draft got a 350k signing bonus. Then the fed takes 35% of that and the agent probably takes another 3%....even if he winds up in a state with no income tax it looks like his max earnings from a signing bonus would be 217k. 217k looks like absolute best case scenario for guaranteed money as fifth rounders are in no way locks to make the team.

It's really a shame he left school early, which he really had no business doing if he knew he was a 4.7 guy. Better off staying in school and getting a degree considering the bonus money he's looking at. He definitely was a good enough college player where he should have had no problem getting a million dollar insurance policy to guard against injury. Would have loved to have had him back in Badger red in 2020.

A 40-time deterring how good of a player he will be? Eh. Plenty of guys have run slow 40’s and went on to very good to great careers. I’d love to snag Cephus mid-rounds.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A 40-time deterring how good of a player he will be? Eh. Plenty of guys have run slow 40’s and went on to very good to great careers. I’d love to snag Cephus mid-rounds.

Not about how good he will be. It's about where he'll be drafted, and that 40-time does not bode well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder how many 4.7+ receivers there are in the NFL? Honest question. Three? Four? I have no idea. Cephus sure looked faster than that on tape.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That's the case for WR's running 4.5s and approaching 4.6s. 4.7 is average for tight end and middle linebacker times in the 40. Blake Martinez ran a 4.71.

A 4.7-4.8 just isn't cutting it for a WR in today's game - I think Cephus probably still gets drafted, but there's a decent chance he winds up going undrafted in what appears to be a deep WR draft class.

Archived