Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82

... and I'm wrong. Cephus just declared for the draft.

I'm typically that guy that poo-poos the homers that want the Packers to draft former Badgers, but Cephus would actually make a ton of sense for GB. Very similar-type all-around receiver to Adams. I think he'd be a hell of a pick in Round 3-4 if he lasts.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cephus has really strong hands and gets separation. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I agree with you homer but the NFL no longer drafts player based on irrelevant things like strong hands and getting separation. His draft stock will almost solely be determined on a 40-yard dash time, a vertical jump number, a 3-cone drill time and his height/weight measurement. As the great Mike Sherman once famously said about a first round receiver draft pick "he has trouble catching the ball, but he has 10 1/2" hands so we'll teach him how to catch the ball."

I could see Cephus going anywhere from round 2 to round 6, it all depends on the combine numbers.

The Cole Van Lanen watch is now officially on.

4th round and beyond he could be an interesting value pick. He definitely could impress in the combine and move a bit higher. A nice 40 yard time and a good vertical could do him wonders. His entire highlight real is a guy who can make plays and win jump balls. It is a real nice weapon to have on offense, especially in the redzone.

I agree with you homer but the NFL no longer drafts player based on irrelevant things like strong hands and getting separation. His draft stock will almost solely be determined on a 40-yard dash time, a vertical jump number, a 3-cone drill time and his height/weight measurement. As the great Mike Sherman once famously said about a first round receiver draft pick "he has trouble catching the ball, but he has 10 1/2" hands so we'll teach him how to catch the ball."

I could see Cephus going anywhere from round 2 to round 6, it all depends on the combine numbers.

The Cole Van Lanen watch is now officially on.

I hate to tell Mike this but most of the wide receivers that come into the league with bad hands leave with bad hands.

Allison is a prime example. Look like Tarzan plays like Jane.

I think Cephus will go in the 3rd-5th round. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Lions, Bears, Packers, or the Patriots in rounds 2-4. I could also see a team like the Jaguars or the 49ers taking him in the 3rd or 4th round.

I believe Cephus will be a good #2 or #3 WR in the NFL.

I like Cephus a lot. Physical guy with good hands who can make catches in traffic. I think we tend to over-value Badgers (a lot.... like, an awful lot) and I've considered that, but he does make a lot of sense for the Packers. He can stretch the field and our WR corps is in dire need of depth and upgrade right now.

I like Cephus a lot. Physical guy with good hands who can make catches in traffic. I think we tend to over-value Badgers (a lot.... like, an awful lot) and I've considered that, but he does make a lot of sense for the Packers. He can stretch the field and our WR corps is in dire need of depth and upgrade right now.

The Badgers have had some talent at WR over the years going back to the days of Lee DeRamus and J.C. Dawkins in the early 90s, but I don't think they've ever had one who looks as pro-ready as Cephus. Assuming he checks out athletically, he has a lot of the attributes you look for in a prototypical WR. It's going to be interesting to see how he measures height and weight-wise, as the Badgers list him at 6'1" and a solid 207. He's not one of those typical rail-thin (Lee Evans, Jared Abbredaris, Jonathan Orr, Tony Simmons, Brandon Williams), or tall, lanky (Donald Hayes, Chris Chambers) guys that have tried to take the next step.

Chris Chambers was 5'11"/6'0", 210. Anything but tall and lanky. Donald Hayes was 6'4", but 220. Tall, but not lanky. Lee Evans was 5'11", 200 - not rail thin.

Chambers supposedly ran a sub-4.40 at the combine with a 45" vertical. I'd take a Chris Chambers type of career (7600 rec yards, 58 TDs) from Cephus in a heartbeat.

I hate to tell Mike this but most of the wide receivers that come into the league with bad hands leave with bad hands.

Allison is a prime example. Look like Tarzan plays like Jane.

J'Mon Moore says don't forget about him. (He was so bad that you forgot about him already?)

The Badgers have had some talent at WR over the years going back to the days of Lee DeRamus and J.C. Dawkins in the early 90s, but I don't think they've ever had one who looks as pro-ready as Cephus. Assuming he checks out athletically, he has a lot of the attributes you look for in a prototypical WR. It's going to be interesting to see how he measures height and weight-wise, as the Badgers list him at 6'1" and a solid 207. He's not one of those typical rail-thin (Lee Evans, Jared Abbredaris, Jonathan Orr, Tony Simmons, Brandon Williams), or tall, lanky (Donald Hayes, Chris Chambers) guys that have tried to take the next step.

Chris Chambers wasn't tall and lanky (5-11 1/2, 206) and Lee Evans wasn't rail thin (5-10 5/8, 197). Just by eye-balling Wisconsin receivers over the last 25 years, IMO Lee Evans is the top guy and nobody else is even close. He had over 2700 yards receiving and 22 touchdowns over the last 25 games played at Wisconsin. Any knock on his height wasn't really a huge factor when looking at the rest of his skill set which was pretty amazing. Speed, quickness, acceleration, balance, tracking the ball in the air, strong hands and exceptionally precise route runner. Absolute stud. Posted some pretty good numbers over his first 6 years in the NFL when considering the crap QBs he played with (a washed-up Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman who pretty much sucked). Evans was a top half of round one pick for good reason and I don't see Cephus being in that class.

Chris Chambers was 5'11"/6'0", 210. Anything but tall and lanky. Donald Hayes was 6'4", but 220. Tall, but not lanky. Lee Evans was 5'11", 200 - not rail thin.

Chambers supposedly ran a sub-4.40 at the combine with a 45" vertical. I'd take a Chris Chambers type of career (7600 rec yards, 58 TDs) from Cephus in a heartbeat.

Chambers in my mind is the best Badger comparison. Similar size, athletic ability, strong hands, and consistency. Cephus like Chambers was just reliable. He could make plays at all levels (short, mid, deep). You remove Taylor, Cephus would have been the star of this offense with monster numbers. Kid could go off for 100+ Every game but offense really wasn’t geared towards that. He still put up 59 & 907. Guys like Chambers & Cephus aren’t at Wisconsin often. They are just complete WRs that you can rely on all game. They are more in mold of Adams & Cooper type WRs who may not have the size, elite speed, or other things that teams drool over but do little things right and have enough of all the tools to be a threat.

Chambers had great career & think Cephus can to. He easily could be #2 on the Packers right now buuuut really.... 2-6 for us is not good. Wish him the best! Crush combine! Awesome he had this kind of season after all he went through

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Chambers in my mind is the best Badger comparison. Similar size, athletic ability, strong hands, and consistency. Cephus like Chambers was just reliable. He could make plays at all levels (short, mid, deep). You remove Taylor, Cephus would have been the star of this offense with monster numbers. Kid could go off for 100+ Every game but offense really wasn’t geared towards that. He still put up 59 & 907. Guys like Chambers & Cephus aren’t at Wisconsin often. They are just complete WRs that you can rely on all game. They are more in mold of Adams & Cooper type WRs who may not have the size, elite speed, or other things that teams drool over but do little things right and have enough of all the tools to be a threat.

Chambers had great career & think Cephus can to. He easily could be #2 on the Packers right now buuuut really.... 2-6 for us is not good. Wish him the best! Crush combine! Awesome he had this kind of season after all he went through

I guess I was misremembering the sizes of these guys a little. I remember Lee Evans as tiny for some reason. I thought Chris Chambers was taller as well. Oh well ... old age I guess.

I agree with the Davante Adams/Amari Cooper comparisons for Cephus. Complete WRs that you can play on the perimeter or in the slot. Good hands, good size, and run well enough. They also have great body control and awareness, which a lot of the "measurement" guys (such as MVS) lack.

I agree ... Cephus would be #2 on the Packers right now, probably pretty easily.

Lee Evans, yeah he wasn't a thin dude. I remember his junior year (2001) it seemed like every deep ball that was thrown his way, he just went up and got. Had an absolutely monster year. 1500 yards. Unheard of for a WR at Wisconsin. He had a decent/good career in the NFL for Buffalo.

I think Evans and Chris Chambers are the only two WR from Wisconsin recently that I can think of (and Al Toon haha) that have had any sustained NFL success.

Donald Hayes was pretty good for a couple years and then just fell off a cliff. Injuries maybe?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I still think if Abbrederis didn't tear his ACL he'd have hung around the NFL a long time and been a contributor. Also not sure if GB was the best fit for him. Obvious best spot being New England.

But yea plenty of UW TEs have had long careers, WRs it's really only those two.

Jared had a bunch of concussions too. Best for him he retired when he did.

Jared had a bunch of concussions too. Best for him he retired when he did.

Yes - I recall that he was more Tom Waddle than Wes Welker - basically a reliable possession slot receiver in the NFL that served as target practice for linebackers and safeties that were bigger and faster than him.

He got several concussions in college. He really never got a chance in the NFL as the ACL ruined him. But that was also a thing lingering on him the whole time. But to imply as if he got teed off in the NFL isn't quite right, it might've ended up true but it just never got a chance to happen. Again, if not for the ACL I think he'd have had no problem getting open. He had top notch route running and shiftiness that you see with all the New England type guys and most slot types, but he was also taller and could go do deep. But yea with his concussion history who knows if he'd have taken a couple more bad ones how long he'd have lasted. Think back on that OSU game where he made a fool of a 1st RD CB for over 200 yds, last name Roby I think. Just torched him play after play.

Also, I acknowledge I'm not too familiar with how things went after he left GB as far as more concussions or just in general. If he got more there then yea that was it for him.

And yea, it's best he got out when he did.

Speaking of concussions, it just popped into my head after seeing an article about Wentz today that Trevor Lawrence was basically laid out on the field in that game vs OSU. Came right back in and no one even talked about it again. Don't think he even went in the tent. Obviously with how well he played he must not have been too bad. But he took a direct shot to the head and was basically out on the field. Playoffs though, ran him right back out there for the W. I remember saying to my friends that I thought he'd be done for the game, boom OSU wins, instead being a big game he just went right back in and no one said anything.

Speaking of concussions, it just popped into my head after seeing an article about Wentz today that Trevor Lawrence was basically laid out on the field in that game vs OSU. Came right back in and no one even talked about it again. Don't think he even went in the tent. Obviously with how well he played he must not have been too bad. But he took a direct shot to the head and was basically out on the field. Playoffs though, ran him right back out there for the W. I remember saying to my friends that I thought he'd be done for the game, boom OSU wins, instead being a big game he just went right back in and no one said anything.

... and that is why it wasn't targeting...

Signed,

Ryan Day and the OSU Nation

P.S. See... the hit on Coan wasn't targeting either!!!! Told ya!

Apparently Cruickshank entered the transfer portal. Huh?

Apparently Cruickshank entered the transfer portal. Huh?

Surprising one to me with all the WR playing time coming available from Cephus/Taylor. I think he's from NY though, so could be some reasons or just a desire to get closer to home. I think he's also redshirted already, so unless he graduates in 3 years he'll likely have to blow a year of eligibility sitting out a year (though NCAA seems to grant waivers to any school not UW). Maybe he will graduate though, good for him if he does, good luck to him. I think he also said it's not for sure he leaves, just exploring. But can't imagine too many go back to their school after taking this step.

ETA: Turns out he still has his redshirt, I must've been mixing up years.

... and that is why it wasn't targeting...

Signed,

Ryan Day and the OSU Nation

P.S. See... the hit on Coan wasn't targeting either!!!! Told ya!

Count me in as one who doesn't think a play like this should result in an ejection. Helmet to helmet contact, yes. But the Ohio State player is going full speed, is ducking his head IN ORDER TO GET LOW (NOT TO USE HIS HELMET AS A WEAPON), extending his arms with obvious intent to wrap up the quarterback...and the quarterback ducking, also trying to get low to protect himself. IMO it's a good example of inadvertent helmet to helmet contact. Want to throw a penalty on the play, fine. Eject a player for this, IMO it's a bad rule when that is the result.

See the following link. This is what the targeting penalty should exist and in this case the offending player clearly deserved to be ejected.

I also don't buy the argument that refs/replay officials have to make all these calls because they can't judge intent. That's nonsense. If someone can't see the difference in intent between these two plays, then they are blind as a bat.

Archived