Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think all it shows is that LSU is really good.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Last vear the 4 seed beat the 1 seed and then won the whole thing
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So far, in 5 years, the 2 seed has won 3 times, and the 4 seed has won twice. The #1 seed has yet to win it all. I don't think that, in and of itself is a compelling case to expand to 8. Maybe to 6, just to ensure all the power 5 champions get into the field.

I think we have these years (like this one) where we have a pretty clear cut field of 4, and it makes us feel like "this is why we have a field of 4" and then there's other years where maybe there's a cluster of four more very deserving teams, and those years we have a very vocal group of sportscasters and fans that say " this is why it should be 8!" ..... and so it goes. No system will be perfect. Look at the NCAA tourney. No matter how many teams they let it, there's always fringe teams that deserve to be in, and some that probably shouldn't have been allowed in.

So far, in 5 years, the 2 seed has won 3 times, and the 4 seed has won twice. The #1 seed has yet to win it all. I don't think that, in and of itself is a compelling case to expand to 8. Maybe to 6, just to ensure all the power 5 champions get into the field.

I think we have these years (like this one) where we have a pretty clear cut field of 4, and it makes us feel like "this is why we have a field of 4" and then there's other years where maybe there's a cluster of four more very deserving teams, and those years we have a very vocal group of sportscasters and fans that say " this is why it should be 8!" ..... and so it goes. No system will be perfect. Look at the NCAA tourney. No matter how many teams they let it, there's always fringe teams that deserve to be in, and some that probably shouldn't have been allowed in.

Just your yearly reminder that expanding the college football playoff to 8 teams is one of the worst ideas in the history of the universe.

Astoundingly incorrect, IMO of course.

I guess it's a good idea if you enjoy watching blowouts before the championship game.

Just your yearly reminder that expanding the college football playoff to 8 teams is one of the worst ideas in the history of the universe.

I guess it's a good idea if you enjoy watching blowouts before the championship game.

LSU this year happens to be an astoundingly powerful offense with one of the greatest QB recruits in recent memory. I feel like #1 vs #8 would be a competitive game a bit more often than you're thinking it would. It's not like #8 is the 64th team in a 64 team NCAA basketball tourney. We're still talking one of the top 10 teams in the country.

I guess I and 99% of the rest of the world want a system where more than the same 6 teams actually have a chance to make it.

But it's always like this. There have been more semifinals where a team won by 30+ than semifinals with teams winning by less than 10. Fact is, the elite teams are just way better than the next level.

Only if you ignore the fact that the four seed has actually won twice in the last five years.

It's never going to be like that. There's no parity in college football. North Dakota State has won 7 titles in 8 years and is in the title game again this year. And an SEC power will face Clemson or Ohio State again. Second verse, same as the first. Yet fans of expanding the playoff think it will create fairness. The only thing it will create is more curb stompings.

It's never going to be like that. There's no parity in college football. North Dakota State has won 7 titles in 8 years and is in the title game again this year. And an SEC power will face Clemson or Ohio State again. Second verse, same as the first. Yet fans of expanding the playoff think it will create fairness. The only thing it will create is more curb stompings.

Nothing like ripping off a Colin Cowherd tweet to try and make a point.

At least quote your source

I agree with Cowherd, unfortunately. It's a sad statement about college football that the #1 team in the country could be a 2 TD favorite (and 5 actual touchdowns better) than the #4 team in the country.

Based on the 2nd half of their season the Sooners had no business being the number 4 team...however nobody else was deserving, either when compared to the top 3.

Good thing there is a 4 team playoff, otherwise one of the two teams duking it out right now would have been left out.

I do agree on your larger point - the true title contenders for college football can probably be counted on 1 hand every year without fail...

1 Sec west champ

2 Clemson

3 OSU

4 #2 SEC team

5 Random big 12 or pac 12 team with 1 loss if the SEC #2 has 2 losses

I agree with Cowherd, unfortunately. It's a sad statement about college football that the #1 team in the country could be a 2 TD favorite (and 5 actual touchdowns better) than the #4 team in the country.

Oklahoma earned the 4 seed, but they are far from the #4 team in the country.

Or it is just one of those years where there is a dominant team?

Even if they expand the field to 6 or 8, there will be years where there is one dominate team and it isn’t as exciting or a surprise. But I think most years you’d see more competitive games than blowouts. Most years even the great teams have a game where they make some plays and pull out a win where they could have lost to lesser teams than they’ll see in an expanded playoffs.

Oklahoma earned the 4 seed, but they are far from the #4 team in the country.

Far from it? Then who? Oregon? UW? PSU? C'mon. All of these teams are flawed too. It's likelier that there just isn't a 4th team as close to as good as the top 3 this year.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fumble non catch.

I watched it about 5 times and am shocked they called in no catch. The ref just came out and said that the ball was coming loose as he moved. I dont see that. Anyone see it differently?

Frankly, the officiating in that game was just odd. Ohio State goes up 16-0 and then there were a few questionable calls that looked like the officials were trying to keep Clemson in the game. It started with the targeting penalty which, IMO, was correct by the letter of the law but clearly at this point that rule needs to be adjusted (the Oklahoma player that tried to destroy an LSU receiver on a blindside block was a perfect example of why a targeting rule should and really needs to be in place; however, the "incidental" contact that occurs when two players are both trying to go low should not be targeting). The fumble that was returned for a TD...then ruled a no catch...was just an awful call and it's hard to believe stuff like that comes from replay. I like aspects of replay but that sort of stuff completely undermines the entire replay system. It was that bad.

I might be inclined to say that Ohio State was completely robbed in that game, but they kicked too many field goals when they should have been scoring touchdowns early and Buckeye fans should be thinking about that just as much as bad officiating.

Archived