Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
Again, it is not pointless as in some season, there will be a 8-seed that runs the table. It is like any other seeded tournament. For whatever reason, college football folks say that is it pointless. Fine then. Take away all seeded end of the year tournaments. Let's crown the NFL team with the best regular season record...........
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But who knows what else Dayne gets from booster groups and things of that nature too or any other way the school funnels him money. Dayne also has a terrible personality for commercials, Taylor on the other hand is the exact opposite and would be great at it and could cash in off added name recognition of the record with that. Look at Baker Mayfield right now. But yea when adding in the injury factor it just makes no sense to risk it. Yea who knows maybe(still doubt it does) in 40 years of earning small amounts on his name it balances for 1 year of NFL checks, but no way to eliminate the injury risk.

For the Heisman, like I said it would be like a career accomplishment type one. Puts up another 2K+ next year while team goes at least 10-2. No QB has a bananas year and all of a sudden he wins. Fields and Lawrence will be back though so obviously the odds are low but it's feasible in kind of a how the heck don't we give it to the guy with over 8K career yards. Both Dayne and Williams got it for breaking the record. But of course that was 20 years ago before everyone realized how overrated RBs are.

BTW still a joke Gordon didn't get the Heisman for his 2600 yd season, 2nd best RB season ever. While two Bama RBs recently have gotten it with normal seasons.

The Rose Bowl was just as pointless when it "meant something." Even if the game itself was fantastic, like the UCLA game where they were massive underdogs and won 38-31 while Dayne carried the Bruins on his back half the game, they ended the year ranked 3rd or 4th. It's the definition of pointless. It was an amazing game, but part of the reason I've only ever been half-interested in CFB.

The 8 team thing seems utterly pointless. Let's say the Badgers are 8th and get in. They're going to beat OSU/LSU/Clemson in consecutive weeks? LOL, ok. Those bottom 4 teams are never going to pull that off in CFB.

With that attitude, wouldn't all of professional and major college sports be pointless? What's the point of game #107 in a 162 game Brewer schedule? What was the point of that crap-fest Packer/Redskin game last weekend? What's the point of the NBA, NHL, NCAA men's basketball regular season? What's the point of being really good baseball team, say winning 110 games in the regular season, only to have that all wiped away like it meant nothing and then run into an 87-win team that just happens to have two hot pitchers, and then be KO'ed and be recognized as the inferior team over a handful of games after a full season clearly demonstrated that the 110 win team was the better team? What's the point?

No, because the parity in CFB is comparatively really bad. None of those comparison really make any sense. Game 107 has a point because they've missed and made the playoffs by 1 game. I don't see the parallel to that and this at all.

Seattle or SF will be a 5th seed in the NFC. There is quite literally no separation between the two, and they will be seeded 1 and 5. Relatively, there is an ocean between Wisconsin and the #1 seed. Even if they pulled off a miracle, they have to pull of 3 miracles. Comparing it to the NFL is apples to oranges. It would be more comparable to a 1 v 16 in the NCAA tourney, which is absolutely pointless 99.9% of the same, and the 16th seed is certainly not running the table. CFB just doesn't have the parity where an 8th seed can realistically pull that off. If those teams would rather get a chance to beat a top seed than go to a random bowl game, that's fine with me, but WI isn't going to win a national title as an 8th seed in FB. I don't see it expanding to 8 teams as really beneficial to the program is that's the goal. It's much more viable that they get a random year where they close the talent gap and are an actual top 4 team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think getting past round one would be an accomplishment in and of itself. People count Sweet Sixteen appearances on a school's basketball resume.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Snapper pretty much nails it there. I'll add to it that it's really about preferences, do you want to find out who the best team is or have the most entertaining tournament? I'd easily argue the CFB systems typically shoot among the highest % of the best team actually winning, probably number 2 after NBA. But, it's not nearly as entertaining as a 64 team tournament in basketball due to it just being smaller. They've essentially eliminated a ton of the variance. I actually like it this way. I think it would be BS for a team to go undefeated and have to play a 3 loss team and then lose on something fluky or have their QB get hurt in that game which costs them the title. They already proved they were the best team all year, but are being forced to do it again. I also think it's BS when it happens in the Bball tourney, but of course I'm greatly entertained by it.

And I also dislike the notion that all games that aren't for the overall championship in any sport are pointless, I hate that the ESPN Ringz obsession has seeped that far into everyone at this point. Kind of what Homer is getting at too. There is a pride in making it as far as you can and accomplishment in it. Winning conferences, beating rivals, beating similar level competition from another conference, etc.

If we can't draw a distinction between the NCAA and pro sports talent pool, we're never going to come close to agreement on this topic. The NFL/NBA/MLB are pulling talent from the same pool of guys. They're all amazing, from the Tigers to the Yankees, and anyone can beat anyone at the right time. The guys plucked off the wire on March 25 are still elite. That is not what happens in the NCAA; the cream of the crop is concentrated in the same 3-4 universities, while the occasional players that slip under the recruiting radar wind up at other schools. They're not all pulling from the same place, Hawaii and Illinois are not gettin the #1 QB prospect from Florida to sit down at the table. You can say the pros aren't either with $$$, but the draft is at least something of an equalizer where a MKE can get Giannis.

If you expand to an 8-team field, yes, you will get the seasons in which 8 beats 1. What I'm saying is that you will not get 8 beats 1, beats 2, beats 3. Wisconsin might beat Ohio State, they're not going to beat them three times in a month. It can happen in the pros, and does, because there just isn't the same disparity of talent. If that's the conversation (getting past round 1) then that's fine, I just don't see an 8-team field as increasing WI's odds of a title at all.

That's fine and dandy, but let's say a 2 loss SEC team gets an 8 seed and beats a #1 seed OSU team. I think there's the potential for a little more variance in the results than you are allowing for.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The most likely scenario IMO that an 8 could pull it off (win all 3 for the title, not just one upset) is if a team is seeded low due to a QB injury but then the QB is healthy for the playoff. Or yea if an elite team like BAma takes an extra L during the season for who knows what reason and gets seeded low. At some point it will happen, I agree. IMO I'd rather not have that be possible and keep rewarding teams for elite regular seasons.

But looking at Snappers points from UWs perspective he's right. Our best chance at a title is 4 teams and getting in due to winning the B1G with 1 loss or less and only having to win 2 games instead of 3. I made a similar point when BB left to Arkansas to 'win titles' since he said you needed to be in the SEC. IMO it was easier at UW as you could put together a cake schedule, pull of the B1G title game and boom you're in the Championship (this was when there was 2 teams). Instead he chose to play Bama, Auburn and LSU every year just to even get to his conf title game. Obviously that increased even more when it went to 4 as now it's almost impossible not be included as a 1 loss B1G Champ, but he didn't know that was coming. I mean, if he himself as the Special Teams coach knew hot prevent punt blocks they probably win the title in 2011.

I think the low seeds could pull off the upset more than people think. An unfamiliar team from a different conference may be harder to beat than one would think.

That being said I don't think they want upsets. They really seem set on crowning the best team. Not having a #8 beating the #1 so they can get slaughtered in the semis or whatever.

I think the low seeds could pull off the upset more than people think. An unfamiliar team from a different conference may be harder to beat than one would think.

That being said I don't think they want upsets. They really seem set on crowning the best team. Not having a #8 beating the #1 so they can get slaughtered in the semis or whatever.

If top teams were forced to play tougher schedules, they wouldn't always finish with 1 loss. Part of the reason the top teams look so loaded is they are rarely tested. The parity is there, it's just not tested as much.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think there would be a lot of upsets, and fairly rare that 1 and 2 end up playing each other. But I think it's clear in the current state of CFB that the Wisconsins of the world are the tippy top of Tier 2, and there is a quite a bit of space between them and Tier 1. Having to beat 3 potentially superior teams, I just can't see it happening. You might get a flukey year where 1 and 2 lose in the first round or something, but I don't think, overall, it would create this competitive balance that people want. It certainly would not mirror the NFL.

That's where the 6 could come in, just make it clear too. 5 champs and 1 WC.

Another thing that could happen down the line though, especially with the new financials stuff coming in with paying players combined with the health risk so few people playing, would be the Major conferences to separate from the rest with their own rules. A scenario could come up where it becomes 4 conferences, presumably the B12 getting poached, and 48 total teams. So essentially you'd have the conf title games as the "round of 8", then it goes to the way it is now for the final after the 4 conf champs are decided.

If top teams were forced to play tougher schedules, they wouldn't always finish with 1 loss. Part of the reason the top teams look so loaded is they are rarely tested. The parity is there, it's just not tested as much.

Tell that to LSU who has beat @Texas, Florida, Auburn, @Alabama, and Georgia this year.

Tell that to LSU who has beat Texas, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia this year.

The rarity. Congrats to them. Hand them the trophy as they don't need to play anyone else then.

That's not what I said, I was just pointed out your statement is super flawed

Super? No. I left it open for the rarity such as this years LSU.

with 6 you'd have a bye week which I'm not sure I'd want. 8 is the absolute max I would do. Does the 8 seed have a shot? Probably once out of every 25 years but that's what makes it special.

There already is a bye week. The national championship game isn't until January 13th. 3-6 seeds play on Jan 1st, semis a week later, national championship a week after that.

One implication that hasn't been discussed yet regarding playoffs:

If you were projected to be a high NFL draft pick, would you be likely to play one extra game with the chance of playing for a national championship?

Would you be likely to play two extra games for a shot at a national championship?

What would the likelihood be, and the effect of, projected high NFL draft picks pulling out of the playoffs because of the extra game? One out of four, you have a decent shot at a national championship. One out of eight... now what are your chances, and is the risk worth it?

with 6 you'd have a bye week which I'm not sure I'd want. 8 is the absolute max I would do. Does the 8 seed have a shot? Probably once out of every 25 years but that's what makes it special.

There already is a bye week. The national championship game isn't until January 13th. 3-6 seeds play on Jan 1st, semis a week later, national championship a week after that.

I meant I don't like the bye in terms of two teams getting a week of rest when the other four do not. As it stands, they both get two weeks to prepare.

Community Moderator

It's tough to say if the current lack of parity is temporary or part of a longer-term trend. I suspect it will continue. The revenue gap continues to grow. And the top programs have gotten really good at poaching coaches from anyone that tries to compete with them.

I do agree that a team like Clemson was not tested at all this year. I don't know what you do about that. Leave an undefeated national champion out of the top 4?

Taylor needs 325 yards to set the "official" NCAA rushing record. 200 yards will put him past Ricky Williams into 3rd all-time.

Had he not had such a low total rushing against Minnesota, he might've actually had a shot, although Oregon's rush defense is pretty darn good.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived