Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82

Mentioning how young they are made me think and go back to check how many sacks from last year are from players returning...4.5 Sacks. 1 from Loudermilk, 1 for Henningsen, and 2.5 from Zack Braun. Yikes. Tackles for losses is a similar story. I get to some degree the positions these individuals played helped that pad stats in these categories...but one can't ignore replacing Edwards/Van Ginkel is going to be a lofty task. Zack Braun is a big deal for the defense just because he is the one productive holdover from last year.

I guess the one positive is all that young talent got to play a ton last year so their experience is a little better than typical. Obviously you would like a bit more experience on the defense, but the offense is very experienced. 4 upperclassmen at WR, line is very experienced overall, Ferguson is a great TE, and obviously Taylor at RB. Outside of knocking potential QB problems the only other real concern might be RB depth I guess?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tackling by last year's secondary was the worst I could ever remember out of a Badger defense. Frankly, the tackling from the defensive backs looked to be at the same woeful level as most NFL teams. Hopefully that won't be a yearly occurrence in the "NFL defense" that Leonhard had brought to Madison.

Well, considering that all but five of them were freshmen and all but two of them underclassmen, yeah, that's about what I'd expect.

Looked like Cephus was in on the 3rd play of the game.

And now comes up with the first catch of the game... involved early. Apparently he was accurate with his claims of being in great shape. He didn’t have a ton of days of practice, but apparently game ready.

I don’t view South Florida as a cupcake, and that was a very impressive opening drive.

Coan looks Hornibrook-level bad. So sick of this crap ... having a playoff-level team, but can't find a competent QB.

Well, they have one of the better QB recruits in the nation riding the pines because they couldn’t get him “ready” enough to play. Frustrating to say the least.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Coan looks Hornibrook-level bad. So sick of this crap ... having a playoff-level team, but can't find a competent QB.

Well, they have one of the better QB recruits in the nation riding the pines because they couldn’t get him “ready” enough to play. Frustrating to say the least.

Could a "not ready" Mertz possibly be worse than what we're seeing from Coan right now? I say sink or swim with the young guy. Not gonna go anywhere with a Junior who can't play.

Could a "not ready" Mertz possibly be worse than what we're seeing from Coan right now? I say sink or swim with the young guy. Not gonna go anywhere with a Junior who can't play.

I totally agree with you.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I had to check if Florida State is even ranked. Not to my surprise, they're not.

Did you also notice that Hornibrook is like 3rd string?

I think we've become a bit spoiled as football fans if we're upset about Coan's performance in that half. I thought he played well, minus the two missed deep balls. Obviously, you hope that deep accuracy comes with more than 1 quarter of football under your belt in the season, but he played accurate, smart football overall that half.

I had to check if Florida State is even ranked. Not to my surprise, they're not.

Did you also notice that Hornibrook is like 3rd string?

I seriously doubt there was another P5 Conference team that he could start for other than the Badgers.

I think we've become a bit spoiled as football fans if we're upset about Coan's performance in that half. I thought he played well, minus the two missed deep balls. Obviously, you hope that deep accuracy comes with more than 1 quarter of football under your belt in the season, but he played accurate, smart football overall that half.

He was definitely better as the half progressed.

Kind of like Scott tolzien in delivery of the football.

Got better as they got to the second quarter. He started horribly.

It WAS the first quarter of the first game of the season, after all...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It WAS the first quarter of the first game of the season, after all...

I will say this... Coan threw almost 100 passes last year in live-game action, and has been preparing to be the starter. I get the "first game" stuff, but you have to be ready to play. It's not like the dude is a wet behind the ears freshman playing against Alabama.

Community Moderator

I will say this... Coan threw almost 100 passes last year in live-game action, and has been preparing to be the starter. I get the "first game" stuff, but you have to be ready to play. It's not like the dude is a wet behind the ears freshman playing against Alabama.

There's plenty of sloppy play in weeks 1-2 of the NFL, even with a full preseason.

South Florida was supposed to compete in this game, instead Wisconsin is making them look like an FCS team.

Archived