Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For whatever its worth(which isnt much) espn has Penn st predicted for the rose bowl with us in the citrus bowl(possibly better know by us as the capital on bowl) vs Auburn. Minnesota predicted for the outback bowl.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Buckeyes open as 18 point favorite.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

..... . Penn State beat Ohio State twice a couple years ago and the Buckeyes still got in over them.

Actually it was only 1 game between the teams that year. A close win by PSU at PSU.

PSU went to the B1G championship game & OSU sat at home since both are part of the east division.

While PSU won the B1G they had 2 losses, including 1 vs Pittsburgh.

OSU only had the 1 loss & was then selected for the playoff.

OK now that I think of it that is true, but my point is Penn State clearly earned a playoff spot over Ohio State and got screwed out of it because Ohio State.

Screwed/ not screwed... Tow-mato/ Toe-mato...

I can see why some feel PSU was wronged in 2016 & I can see why the committee did not feel PSU was one of the best 4 teams at the end of the year. With that decision made I examine the reasoning/ impacts of the decision and use that to guide my understanding moving forward.

The bigger point with the 2016 decision was the 2nd loss to Pittsburgh.. The Panthers went 8-4 before losing their bowl game. That appears to be a better 2nd loss then the Badger loss at Illinois (6-6) this season. That 2nd loss is what would stop a Badger playoff appearance this year IF they beat OSU in the B1G championship game/ rematch...

As for possible bowl destination for the Badgers, I am finding references online that the Rose Bowl would take the highest ranked B1G team IF they can't get the B1G champ. And by ranking that references the college football playoff ranking, not the AP or the Coaches Polls. Badgers win Saturday night, Rose Bowl has an easy pick (getting the champ). Buckeyes win, it gets interesting for Rose Bowl & we shall see where it all shakes out.

Wisconsin did jump Penn State in both polls today, which is very good news for the Rose Bowl chances...

The poll to watch is the one on Tuesday night. I find it likely the Badgers are ahead of PSU at that point. After the upcoming game Saturday, who knows.

Considering the teams PSU lost to (at MN, at OSU) & the rankings of those teams at the time against possibly 3 Badgers loses and who those would be against & where, I could see PSU ranked higher. I could also see the Badgers remaining ahead if Saturdays game is the closest the Buckeyes have all season..

We will see how it plays out..

As for possible bowl destination for the Badgers, I am finding references online that the Rose Bowl would take the highest ranked B1G team IF they can't get the B1G champ. And by ranking that references the college football playoff ranking, not the AP or the Coaches Polls.

Though true, there's waffle language in the Rose Bowl's process. Directly from the Rose Bowl site itself:

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

I would think that regardless of what happens on Saturday, Wisconsin and PSU would be in a 'cluster' together.

Though true, there's waffle language in the Rose Bowl's process. Directly from the Rose Bowl site itself:

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

I would think that regardless of what happens on Saturday, Wisconsin and PSU would be in a 'cluster' together.

I just don't see the Rose Bowl committee going with UW over PSU when the possibilities are Utah if they don't make the CFP or Oregon if they win or if Utah wins and makes the CFP. If it is Utah I can definitely see the Rose Bowl committee going with PSU and if it is Oregon I give UW about a 30% chance of being picked over PSU.

I believe UW will be playing Auburn unless they somehow beat Ohio State this weekend.

I just don't see the Rose Bowl committee going with UW over PSU when the possibilities are Utah if they don't make the CFP or Oregon if they win or if Utah wins and makes the CFP. If it is Utah I can definitely see the Rose Bowl committee going with PSU and if it is Oregon I give UW about a 30% chance of being picked over PSU.

I believe UW will be playing Auburn unless they somehow beat Ohio State this weekend.

Why do you feel like they would pick PSU over UW if the opponent is Utah?

I think another positive for UW is having Taylor playing his last college game. They can hype the Heisman finalist, Doak Walker winning, possibly the most impressive statistical RB in history (going for his 3rd consecutive 2000 yard season - possibly finishing in the top 5 in total rushing yards in only 3 years) as part of the match up. PSU doesn’t have that.

Wisconsin did jump Penn State in both polls today, which is very good news for the Rose Bowl chances...

The poll to watch is the one on Tuesday night. I find it likely the Badgers are ahead of PSU at that point. After the upcoming game Saturday, who knows.

Considering the teams PSU lost to (at MN, at OSU) & the rankings of those teams at the time against possibly 3 Badgers loses and who those would be against & where, I could see PSU ranked higher. I could also see the Badgers remaining ahead if Saturdays game is the closest the Buckeyes have all season..

We will see how it plays out..

They look more at your quality wins than they penalize a loss to an inferior team Georgia lost to a South Carolina team that might be worse than Illinois. Penn State's only two wins vs. top 25 teams were teams Wisconsin also beat, Iowa and Michigan. In addition to Iowa and Michigan, Wisconsin has a win over a Minnesota team that Penn State lost to. If the Badgers lose to Ohio State again, that should be judged as basically as one loss, not two. After all, Wisconsin earned the right to play them a second time. The assumption is that Penn State would lose again too.

I think they have to beat OSU to be in the Rose Bowl. If it’s an option to take Penn State the committee will, they’re just a bigger draw nationally.

Does PSU really have that much better TV ratings than UW? The Rose Bowl would be picking and not the CFP Committee, so I think Wisconsin’s history of traveling well would factor in a bit as well.

Well to be perfectly honest Penn State “earned” the right to play Ohio State again. They played them close and have a pretty similar resume outside of that. Our loss to Illinois is leaps and bounds worse than their Minnesota loss.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the system doesn’t allow two opponents in the same side to play each other in the championship game. Because the two best teams in the Big 10 are Penn State and Ohio State judging by the regular season results.

I'm nothing more than the most casual of casual Badgers fans, and I don't see anything about PSU that makes them better than WI. Their games with OSU were basically the same for a half and the Badgers got stuck in quicksand a bit harder in the 2nd. The Illinois game was the dud Wisconsin is good for every year and needs to quit, but they crushed Minnesota. They seem like they're more or less the same team to me. If WI gets run off the field again, then yeah, PSU in the Rose is fine, but I don't think UW would be all that hard to justify.

I think WI getting killed by OSU twice is more significant than losing to Illinois. They'll forgive one game like that, but they don't like blowout losses.

The TV contract has already been signed, that revenue won't change based on who is selected. It's all about in-person attendance and spend.

Yeah, I'm also not buying that PSU is some monumentally bigger national draw anyway. UW travels exceptionally well. Even when the team is average the host town is always thrilled to get them.

Well to be perfectly honest Penn State “earned” the right to play Ohio State again. They played them close and have a pretty similar resume outside of that. Our loss to Illinois is leaps and bounds worse than their Minnesota loss.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the system doesn’t allow two opponents in the same side to play each other in the championship game. Because the two best teams in the Big 10 are Penn State and Ohio State judging by the regular season results.

Really?

I'd say Wisconsin and PSU are pretty even. Wisconsin destroyed Michigan, MSU, and Minn. PSU beat michigan by 1 score and didnt beat MSU nearly as bad and lost at Minnesota where Wisconsin just trounced them.

I admit PSU is probably a better matchup with OSU, but I dont think they are any better than Wisconsin.

Sorta disagree - Penn State is not obviously better than WI, in fact I'd argue the opposite. Penn State had close shaves against Iowa, Pitt, Michigan, and Indiana. Their loss at Minn looks better than UW's at Illinois loss purely because Minnesota had a much easier schedule to stay undefeated prior to playing Penn State. Minn are imposters inside the top 25, and Penn state played an awful game to wind up losing to them by 5 on the road. WI may have the worst looking loss, but I'd say overall they have more better looking wins.

i think it's largely splitting hairs, because in this case I really do believe the two best teams in the Big Ten are playing in Indianpolis this weekend - the issue is there's a chasm between the best in the Big Ten (OSU) and the next best grouping (UW, PSU, MICH, take your pick). It's very similar to the ACC this year with Clemson and everyone else - however I'd argue the Big Ten's "everyone else" is clearly better than that of the ACC's, which is why OSU is all the more impressive. PSU played the Buckeyes pretty tough a few weeks ago, but it was OSU turnovers that kept that game close.

Last year top 5 football jersey sales:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Oklahoma

4. Penn State

5. Georgia

Three year average football based revenue:

Wisconsin - 47.6 million

Penn State - 66 million

Penn State had a lull after all the scandals, but they are a brand that by any economic measure is going to be bigger than Wisconsin in football. If you measure athletic departments as a whole, Wisconsin inches closer. They were 10th and 12th in overall athletic revenue. If your looking solely at football programs, the economic draw with Penn State is substantially larger.

Edit: This Forbes article has slightly different numbers, but similar gap. I think their 3 year segment is one year later.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/amp/

I don’t think how Wisconsin losses matters. They win and are obviously in the Rose Bowl. If they lose close or lose big...doesn’t matter if you ask me. It’s already a known fact they will get you use their “cluster clause” as they all will be grouped quite close together if Wisconsin losses. Though maybe a blow out drops Wisconsin so far back they don’t consider Wisconsin/PSU clustered in the rankings.

I just think they have a preference between Wisconsin and PSU. I doubt how Wisconsin loses is going to sway it one way or the other.

Im going WI vs Utah Rose Bowl. If its not Utah then PSU goes to the Rose Bowl. Arent we the historical team to face upstarts that are jilted? Miami, Western Michigan, TCU going back. If there isnt that team then the SEC matchup. Whenever its not the SEC matchup, I feel its a lose-lose game. Win and that opponent was frauds. Lose and get wrecked in the polls. Didnt the Badgers fall in the rankings one of the Miami wins or Western Michigan win? Auburn would be Wisconsin's best interest in final polls with a bowl win.

Archived