Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I think the Big 12 will eventually break up and we’ll get to four 16-team super conferences. The conference championship games would essentially be the start of an 8-team playoff.

The conf championship games are mostly a waste of time this year, that’s for sure. That’s how it goes when the top 3 teams are pretty much set already.

The best argument for an 8-team playoff is that it includes all of the Big 5 champions automatically.... then take 3 at-larges like UGA, etc. and noone is left out in the cold. It just seems logical that, like in the NFL, you don't have all teams in that hypothetically have a claim to at least play in a tourney for the title.

I’m really tired of the 4 team set up when 5 teams take 3 or even all the spots consistently. Give the rest of America a chance to at least play in the tourney. It gets boring when no one else even gets a shot at it. To me that is just boring and not even worth tuning in for.

Can we just revel in the fact we flat out curb-stomped the Gophers and went back to Madison with the Axe instead of posting about a CFP pipedream?

Why do these have to be mutually exclusive? I'm posting about my CFP pipe dreams because I'm reveling in our curb stomping of Minnesota. I'll be rooting for, lsu, clemson, Oregon, baylor, and of course Wisconsin. I dont know if that gets us in, but I think that's our best chance.

This year is really making a case for an expanded playoff imo. One of the arguments I've heard most is that the conference championships already are defacto playoff games, but imagine a scenario where Oregon, Baylor, Wisconsin, Virginia, and georgia win but the playoff still ends up being ohio st, lsu, clemson and georgia.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I don't know who else they are going to take. Maybe PSU. I think whichever one of Wisconsin or PSU doesn't get the Rose Bowl invite will still get a NY6 bowl. Probably the Orange.

Penn State. They would end up ranked ahead of us, that should be all the Rose Bowl needs if they want them over us.

I don't know who else they are going to take. Maybe PSU. I think whichever one of Wisconsin or PSU doesn't get the Rose Bowl invite will still get a NY6 bowl. Probably the Orange.

Penn State. They would end up ranked ahead of us, that should be all the Rose Bowl needs if they want them over us.

I think the Badgers have two things going for them relative to PSU- the first being that PSU was there more recently and Badger fans are likely to travel well to the Rose Bowl. The second is that even though Wisconsin would have one more loss in this case, their resume still includes a West Championship and they're the conference runner up. I think all of that combined makes them a more attractive pick even with a higher-ranked Penn State sitting there, IMO. But obviously, I'm biased.

As adam said, though, there is now a legit chance that even if Wisconsin got snubbed for the Rose, a Cotton or Orange Bowl would still be very much in play.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’m really tired of the 4 team set up when 5 teams take 3 or even all the spots consistently. Give the rest of America a chance to at least play in the tourney. It gets boring when no one else even gets a shot at it. To me that is just boring and not even worth tuning in for.

I sort of agree with this. I've said before that College football isn't an even playing field, and it never will be, and I'm ok with that. We're likely to see Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St in the playoffs more years than not. All that being said, an 8 team playoff would at least give us a chance to see a few other teams in there, which would be nice.

As others have pointed out, the idea that the conference title games are de facto playoff games.... that's just false. Ohio State and Clemson can both lose this week and they're both still in, so making it an 8 team playoff makes the conference title games a lot more meaningful.

As others have pointed out, the idea that the conference title games are de facto playoff games.... that's just false. Ohio State and Clemson can both lose this week and they're both still in, so making it an 8 team playoff makes the conference title games a lot more meaningful.

I'm not positive that's automatic with Clemson, but you're probably right. Their SOS is truly terrible this year, but they're Clemson.

I don’t understand how an undefeated defending national champion isn’t ranked #1. Wouldn’t you give them the benefit of the doubt until someone beats them?

There's so much year-to-year turnover in college football rosters that last year's team doesn't automatically equal this year's. Which is why the preseason polls are a bit absurd.

I'm not positive that's automatic with Clemson, but you're probably right. Their SOS is truly terrible this year, but they're Clemson.

If Utah, OK, Clemson, and LSU all win isn't OSU out if they lose? At least 3 of those 4 are favorites.

If Utah, OK, Clemson, and LSU all win isn't OSU out if they lose? At least 3 of those 4 are favorites.

They are the #1 team right now. Similar happened in 2017 when Alabama lost their last game vs. Auburn. I’d expect similar.

I thought about Clemson losing

Why? That might be even more unlikely than Wisconsin beating Ohio State. Virginia is definitely battle-tested though with that brutal out of conference schedule. William & Mary, Old Dominion and Liberty all in the same season...what a joke!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

OSU has been so devastatingly dominant, that unless Wisco absolutely blows them out of the water, then a 1 loss OSU should rightly still get in over those other 1 loss teams. OSU has a +38 ppg differential, has 3 wins over teams currently ranked in the top 15, and put a 42-0 beat down on Cincinnati, who is also in the top 25. That's a tough resume to top. Unless the Badgers just outright slaughter them, like say...... 56-0, I can't see the Buckeyes falling out of the top 4.

Why? That might be even more unlikely than Wisconsin beating Ohio State. Virginia is definitely battle-tested though with that brutal out of conference schedule. William & Mary, Old Dominion and Liberty all in the same season...what a joke!

Let me clarify, I thought about the odds of Wisconsin making it if Clemson lost. First off I don’t think Wisconsin leapfrogs a Big 12 winner so that means they need and additional team to drop out...not just the hypothetical Georgia.

That is the only way I really can see it at this point, among a few other needed losses around the country.

I was thinking the opposite...it would have been an easy year for the BCS. Ohio State vs LSU.

Sure, that would have been the matchup. It also would have shown the hilarity of how bad the BCS system was since an unbeaten defending champ would have been left out of the title game.

Alabama dropped to #5 after the loss to Auburn and needed Wisconsin to lose to move back up. I think Utah gets in over Ohio State in that scenario, there is no reason OSU should lose to the Badgers as 15-20 point favorites. If they do it matters and they will need a little help IMO. It's not like the BCS where a team could not be mathematically jumped due to computer rankings.

Alabama dropped to #5 after the loss to Auburn and needed Wisconsin to lose to move back up. I think Utah gets in over Ohio State in that scenario, there is no reason OSU should lose to the Badgers as 15-20 point favorites. If they do it matters and they will need a little help IMO. It's not like the BCS where a team could not be mathematically jumped due to computer rankings.

Yah, Alabama needed an undefeated team to lose. OSU loses and they have one loss like many other teams. Alabama only dropped cause there was still a zero loss Wisconsin.

..... . Penn State beat Ohio State twice a couple years ago and the Buckeyes still got in over them.

Actually it was one 1 game between the teams that year. A close win by PSU at PSU.

PSU went to the B1G championship game & OSU sat at home since both are part of the east division.

While PSU won the B1G they had 2 losses, including 1 vs Pittsburgh.

OSU only had the 1 loss & was then selected for the playoff.

OK now that I think of it that is true, but my point is Penn State clearly earned a playoff spot over Ohio State and got screwed out of it because Ohio State.

Ohio State and Clemson will win their games next weekend.

If Georgia wins, the final four will be Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson and LSU.

If LSU wins and Utah wins, the final four will be Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Utah.

If LSU wins and Utah loses, the final four will be Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and the winner of this weeks Oklahoma/Baylor game.

IMO the only question worth asking at this point is if ABC/ESPN/Disney commands the committee to put Oklahoma in instead of Utah if both Utah and Oklahoma win their games this week.

Let me clarify, I thought about the odds of Wisconsin making it if Clemson lost. First off I don’t think Wisconsin leapfrogs a Big 12 winner so that means they need and additional team to drop out...not just the hypothetical Georgia.

That is the only way I really can see it at this point, among a few other needed losses around the country.

Might not need to leapfrog Baylor depending on the rankings. I could see the Badgers moving ahead of them based on dismantling the #8 team while Baylor destroyed a crappy Kansas team.

Archived