Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
A neutral field win is more impressive than winning at your home field.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A neutral field win is more impressive than winning at your home field.

A 38-7 throttling probably means more than Wisconsin barely winning at a neutral site. I’d say both would be real real comparable. Maybe recency bias favors the Wisconsin win, but I’m not convinced.

I certainly don’t think it is enough to make a 2 loss Wisconsin team more worthy than a 1 loss OSU team. OSU isn’t going to go from #1 to out because of a loss to Wisconsin.

OSU has to lose this week...if not, there is zero path in my opinion. Even then it is quite the pipe dream.

Let's be honest - bucky isnt one of the four best teams in college football this year - the committee would take a 1 loss non conference champ bama without its starting qb before taking a team that lost to Illinois even if Wisconsin winds up the big ten champ.

I'm pulling for a win against minnesota and would root for them to beat osu... however they might be in a spot where they could be big ten champs and have OSU make the cfp over them.

LSU

OSU

Clemson...these three may have to lose twice to drop out of the top 4 at this point

Okla/bama/utah/georgia...IMO these four would all be in before a 2 loss badger team if they win out...the debate should be about who should be in if they all do indeed win out. I would go with a 1 loss georgia team, then Oklahoma, then Utah, then bama despite the tide being at number 5 currently...I can't put Alabama in over a different power 5 conference champ with 1 loss considering Alabama wont win their conference division and their qb is hurt.

Let's be honest - bucky isnt one of the four best teams in college football this year - the committee would take a 1 loss non conference champ bama without its starting qb before taking a team that lost to Illinois even if Wisconsin winds up the big ten champ.

I'm pulling for a win against minnesota and would root for them to beat osu... however they might be in a spot where they could be big ten champs and have OSU make the cfp over them.

LSU

OSU

Clemson...these three may have to lose twice to drop out of the top 4 at this point

Okla/bama/utah/georgia...IMO these four would all be in before a 2 loss badger team if they win out...the debate should be about who should be in if they all do indeed win out. I would go with a 1 loss georgia team, then Oklahoma, then Utah, then bama despite the tide being at number 5 currently...I can't put Alabama in over a different power 5 conference champ with 1 loss considering Alabama wont win their conference division and their qb is hurt.

I think Bama is probably not going to make it. I put them losing in my not going to happen scenario for the Badgers only because I was looking for the sure path but I wonder what the committee would do with a solid 2 win champion and 1 win Alabama for the 4th spot. I know there is argument that we all know Alabama is one of the 4 best teams but if you have a weak schedule you should have to win your tough game or your conference title. I didn't like it when OSu got in over Penn State or when Bama got in over OSU. Why should not making your conference title game be an advantage? Maybe they just think using losses is the less controversial way of making the tough choice but playing the extra tough game should be weighted more heavily than it has been IMO.

Just remembered that unbeaten Wisconsin got hopped by 1 loss idle Alabama and 2 loss Ohio State by losing their title game by 6 points a couple of years ago. If they were penalized for a weak schedule why shouldn't Bama be eliminated right now?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think anybody expects the Badgers to be in the cfp. I think all people are saying is there's a long shot scenario where it could still happen. There's more than a few things that have to go the right way for it to happen, but it's not mathematically dead yet.

It's just like when the Brewers were quite a ways out of the playoff spot, nobody was predicting them to make the playoffs, just saying there was still a mathematical possibility. That's where the Badgers are. I honestly don't think anybody realistically thinks they have any thing more than a ghost of a chance if even that. But I don't think that's a terrible thing. The cfp has at least given fans something to hang on to late into the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weather in the Twin Cities is supposed to be rainy/snowy, which would favor the Badger's run game. But if MN is not the favored team, they have a huge motivation factor to prove themselves...again. It will be a tough game the way our defense has played recently.

As a Salt Lake resident, I'm itching for whatever scenario gets me a Wisconsin-Utah Rose Bowl.

Seems Utah's path is clear...Beat Oregon but not good enough to make the CFP.

If Wisconsin beats Minn, but gets "throttled" by OSU...would Penn State likely get the Rose Bowl nod?

As a Salt Lake resident, I'm itching for whatever scenario gets me a Wisconsin-Utah Rose Bowl.

If Wisconsin beats Minn, but gets "throttled" by OSU...would Penn State likely get the Rose Bowl nod?

The Wisc/PSU question is the big one. Historically (and I know that's all of 6 seasons), I believe that when the Big Ten Champ was in the playoff, the runner-up of the Championship game was the Rose Bowl representative, but I don't believe they're required for that be that way.

The Wisc/PSU question is the big one. Historically (and I know that's all of 6 seasons), I believe that when the Big Ten Champ was in the playoff, the runner-up of the Championship game was the Rose Bowl representative, but I don't believe they're required for that be that way.

I do not believe it is required either. A lot has to do with the strength/ ranking of other teams in the conference.

Considering where Penn State started & is still top 10 with 2 losses, I would not be at all surprised if they finished ahead of the Badgers if Wisconsin did not win out..

I think Minnesota could factor in if they lose Saturday as well although maybe a long shot. I think the Rose Bowl gets their choice once the champ is in the CFP so a lot in this case may be who travels well and who will provide highest TV ratings. That may rule out Gophers although their fanbase may travel better having not been there for 50 years of whatever it is. Badger fans may still be burned out from the 3 straight losses although they still will show up in droves I am sure. Penn State may be the biggest TV ratings and that probably is the difference unfortunately.

If MN loses to WI and gets the Rose Bowl over WI (whose fans travel rapidly), there should be an investigation. Now way does MN lose to WI and get in the Rose Bowl based on one good win (Penn State).

No need for an investigation. Let's map this out.

Let's say MN loses to WI, it takes MN to 2 loses (at Iowa & WI). Penn State also has 2 loses (at MN & at OSU).

Assuming OSU wins out for this mapping, they are into the Playoff.

WI would then be at 3 loses (at Illinois & 2 against OSU). Michigan would be at 3 loses (at WI, at PSU, vs OSU).

Of those 4 non-OSU teams, Penn State is likely the highest rated at the end (#10 now with final game against Rutgers). While WI gets a bump beating now #8 MN, it would lose that ground with another lose in the B1G title game.

MN has the highest rated win (when PSU was at #4). WI over MN is next (MN at #8).

In terms of the loses for each team, both the MN losses are to teams in top 25. Same for PSU. Same for the 3 with Michigan. While WI has 2 loses vs a playoff team (OSU), the other is to a currently unranked Illinois. That would sting.

PSU, WI & Michigan have all been to Pasadena since 2006. MN had its last visit in while Ike was still President. I suspect that would be an item in MN's favor if the Rose Bowl could pick its team (not tied to a game representative).

If the Rose Bowl selects WI (because they won the west division), that is fine & understandable.

If the Rose Bowl can select another B1G team and picks other than WI, that is also understandable.

Didn’t the selection committee take Iowa because they hadn’t been there in a while a couple years back?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Seems like a toss up but I bet we have a blow out one way or the other today. Someone will get some turnovers and go up big early. I don't like the matchup of the Badgers Pass d against the Gophers passing game so hopefully this is one of those 5 sack days.

Still nice have a play in game at all. Thanks again Iowa! Go Badgers!

I think the weather really could favor Wisconsin today if it neutralizes Minnesota's passing game some. This is the biggest game the Badgers have played in a while. Hopefully they're up for this one, as there's no reason not to pull out all the stops today.

Didn’t the selection committee take Iowa because they hadn’t been there in a while a couple years back?

They were also the runner up in the championship game....

Yeah I remember that. I just remembered them stating that was a reason as well for being selected.

They were also the runner up in the championship game....

Yeah I remember that. I just remembered them stating that was a reason as well for being selected.

Based on Iowa's result that rose bowl, methinks that should negate any advantage a team has with "not being there" for awhile...winner of today's game is likely the rose bowl participant for the big ten, IMO.

I’d guess Wisconsin, Minnesota, and PSU would be the order of Rose Bowl teams.

I just don’t see how Minnesota ends their regular season on a loss to Wisconsin (at home) and then gets the nod over Wisconsin when Wisconsin also won the West. Having this game be the last one in the regular season makes it pretty cut and dry between those two teams.

Minnesota would actually have losses to both the other two loss teams AT HOME. No chance they get picked.

Archived