Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
:laughing People arguing over percentages when it comes to odds is always funny to me. I asked for a chance from this team and now they have one. Long shot? Sure. But it’s better than it was two weeks ago after losing to OSU.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't pretend to know what the actual odds are of UW in the playoff, but it's not hard to see how slim it really is. Figure what, probably a 90% chance of beating Purdue, 50/50 to beat Minnesota, and maybe 10% to beat OSU.

That puts them at about 4.5% just for them to win out and so if you cut that by 1/3rd it's 1.5%. So I suppose they have a chance in the same way Lloyd Christmas does.

I won't pretend to know what the actual odds are of UW in the playoff, but it's not hard to see how slim it really is. Figure what, probably a 90% chance of beating Purdue, 50/50 to beat Minnesota, and maybe 10% to beat OSU.

That puts them at about 4.5% just for them to win out and so if you cut that by 1/3rd it's 1.5%. So I suppose they have a chance in the same way Lloyd Christmas does.

Again, the link I posted above does that math for you and puts their chance right now at 4%.

... but it’s at least a chance. And if they do that, they then have a shot at getting included in the playoffs. So, I’ll take it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Again, the link I posted above does that math for you and puts their chance right now at 4%.

I guess they must figure better chances of beating Minnesota or OSU than I am giving them, then.

In any event, if they even make the Rose Bowl I'll be thrilled.

LOL, I'd put the Badger's chances of making the playoffs more around 2.5%. Would only give them about a 5% chance of beating Ohio State...and the Minnesota game is looking like it will probably be a toss-up so cut the 5% in half. 2.5%.

Fivethirtyeight runs playoff odds based on the likely outcome of each game, and they have the Badgers at 4%, so you're in the ballpark.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-college-football-predictions/

If the Badger DO manage to win out, they're at 33%. That number will move a lot depending on the next two weeks worth of outcomes, but if they somehow beat Minnesota and OSU (neither of which can be assumed, of course), there's a plausible chance. But practically? Not really.

So Alabama, currently #5, IF they win out has a 19% chance of making the playoff? Even though they're already #5, would be a 1 loss team and would beat Auburn in the meantime, they have a 19% chance of making the playoff if they win out and we have a 33% chance of making the playoff if we win out?

Yeah, I call bullcrap on that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Minnesota is very good but that spread will be something like MN -3.5 I'd be much more concerned about them if they had a dominant defense. If UW runs the ball and doesn't turn it over they have a very good shot at winning.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Fivethirtyeight runs playoff odds based on the likely outcome of each game, and they have the Badgers at 4%, so you're in the ballpark.

If the Badger DO manage to win out, they're at 33%. That number will move a lot depending on the next two weeks worth of outcomes, but if they somehow beat Minnesota and OSU (neither of which can be assumed, of course), there's a plausible chance. But practically? Not really.

So Alabama, currently #5, IF they win out has a 19% chance of making the playoff? Even though they're already #5, would be a 1 loss team and would beat Auburn in the meantime, they have a 19% chance of making the playoff if they win out and we have a 33% chance of making the playoff if we win out?

They'd win out and have the problem of LSU, Clemson, and OSU already locked into spots ahead of them, and the strong chance that a 1-loss Pac-12 or Big-12 team ends with a better SOS/quality of wins. Alabama's only win vs. a ranked opponent would be that hypothetical Auburn win.

They'd win out and have the problem of LSU, Clemson, and OSU already locked into spots ahead of them, and the strong chance that a 1-loss Pac-12 or Big-12 team ends with a better SOS/quality of wins. Alabama's only win vs. a ranked opponent would be that hypothetical Auburn win.

Also a dominant win on the road over #24 T A&M. And their only loss would be a close loss to a dominant LSU team.

We've been down this road with the committee before. Maybe I am just jaded by their past decisions, but I don't believe for one second that the committee is going to take any 1 loss SEC team, much less Alabama, over a 2 loss B10 champ Wisconsin team with a loss to Illinois and a blowout loss to OSU.

Bama is actually in a similar position as the Badgers in that they are going to hope to be competing with a 2 loss conference champion for the 4th spot. I would rather be in their spot right now but they can't help themselves much anymore and losing their star QB could work against them. The basketball committee takes key injuries into consideration.

Also a dominant win on the road over #24 T A&M. And their only loss would be a close loss to a dominant LSU team.

We've been down this road with the committee before. Maybe I am just jaded by their past decisions, but I don't believe for one second that the committee is going to take any 1 loss SEC team, much less Alabama, over a 2 loss B10 champ Wisconsin team with a loss to Illinois and a blowout loss to OSU.

Oh, I agree.... but the 33% Wisconsin probability is independent of Alabama's 19% at this point as there are too many variables. Also, you're 100% correct that just because the resume' is statistically more likely to be better or whatever, it doesn't mean that the human element of the committee can be accurately factored into modeling.

The loss to the Illini is the one that is really going to gut our hopes. If we just had the one loss to OSU, won the next 2 and then won the rematch, I think we'd have a pretty ironclad case as a 1 loss B10 champ.

Yep. You'd be sitting here with a very high chance that if 12-0 OSU met 11-1 Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship, that game might have been a play-in game for the Playoff.

Bama is actually in a similar position as the Badgers in that they are going to hope to be competing with a 2 loss conference champion for the 4th spot. I would rather be in their spot right now but they can't help themselves much anymore and losing their star QB could work against them. The basketball committee takes key injuries into consideration.

Agreed. The other problem is that now that Auburn has 3 losses already, there's a legit chance Alabama won't end up with a win vs. a top 20 team on their resume. It's funny how in a situation like that with Iowa or Wisconsin a few years ago, it's held sigificantly against us, but when it's Alabama, no one talks about it.

Lots of motion and little wrinkles in the offense today.

I've been saying it for a long time, amazing things happen when you run and fake the jet sweep. Keeps the OLBs and safeties from crashing the box, opening up the middle, and if they do crash the box it opens up the outside for the sweep. No coincidence that Taylor had a whole bunch of 10+ yard runs up the middle after they ran/faked it a few times.

Also no coincidence that Coan could have arguably his worst game of the year and they still score 37 points.

I think I will be rooting for 19 point dog PSU today. The best of our slim CFP hopes is being the only real candidate coming out of the Big Ten and that really requires OSU losing in Michigan next week regardless of today's outcome. Plus PSU is likely an easier opponent in the BTCG and there are better Rose Bowl prospects with that scenario as well. One of the Arizona teams winning tonight would be big as well but those are similar long shots. Going by the lines the only close matchup today for CFP contendors would be Texas at Baylor but not sure Baylor needs to lose to help the Badgers.

I dont know. Our best shot might be beating an undefeated #2(or 1 if lsu trips up before then) ranked ohio st team on a neutral field.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I dont know. Our best shot might be beating an undefeated #2(or 1 if lsu trips up before then) ranked ohio st team on a neutral field.

That would give the Badgers their best resume and may be the only way they jump a 1 loss Bama but Ohio State is likely already in then which means 3 spots are taken and the PAC12 is a good bet for a 1 loss champ as well. A top 5ish PSU would be a pretty good win.

OSU looks unbeatable so far but just fumbled going into the end zone.

Archived