Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
It pains me to say this but Minnesota is better than Bucky.

And I'm not sure its even close.

The question then becomes do you think Minnesota has more talent than Wisconsin? I sure don't.

Talent is similar, but their offensive coordinator and offensive game plan is light years better.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really not a good comparison. In the Packers scenario you are rooting for a Packers loss, in the Badgers scenario you still want them to win every game. It is completely out of the Badgers control if they go to the Big Ten championship game. The Packers can win a championship if they go to the Super Bowl. There is no scenario where the Badgers win the national championship

So you're still rooting for them to not get the help they need to avoid a potential embarrassment against OSU to settle for a lesser bowl and not play for a potential conference championship and potential NY6 bowl. I do not understand that mindset. Winning a national championship is not the one and only thing that matters in the NCAAs.

You're exactly right in everything you say. And this is why I never really care about the league.

Gonna piggyback off of Peavey's earlier post. Reading facebook this morning and yesterday, (and this site), there's a lot of people saying "chryst isn't the guy/might not be the guy/should be fired".

Wisconsin will NEVER be Ohio State.

This state doesn't pump out the D1 recruits like Ohio does. Or Michigan, or Florida, or Texas. People can say the talent gap isn't that big, but it is. Barry Alvarez did a fantastic job getting the results he did with a bunch of 2 and 3 and occasional four star guys. Chryst is as well. If you're a fan of Wisconsin, getting to 3-4 NY6 bowls per decade is IT. That's what we can hope for. MAYBE, just maybe we might sneak into the playoffs once. If you're hanging your hat on some coach making us a national powerhouse... it's not gonna happen.

It's Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and eeeeeeverybody else. I've been seeing this argument since Barry stepped down. "WE NEED A COACH TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEL". There is no next level for Wisconsin. College football is not the pros. This is not an even playing field. It sucks, but if you're a fan of Wisconsin, having a season where you go 12-1 and win an Orange Bowl should be amazing and fun and memorable!!!!

Why are people fans of Purdue, or New Mexico State, or Vanderbilt, or whoever? Because College Football is fun and goofy. You have to accept that it's Alabama and Clemson and a few other teams per year, and MAYBE if you're a power 5 team, you get a ghost of a chance once in a while if the stars align, but that's it. There is no "reaching the next level". Wisconsin doesn't have the talent pool of D1 studs that these states have. It doesn't! Anyone can stand up and say "the talent gap isn't the problem!" but it is. It absolutely is, X100.

Like HOmer, I'm happy with where the program is at. I'd LOVE to see the Bagders sneak into the playoffs. It might happen. I never thought I'd see the UW basketball team get to a National Title game, and a few years back, they were a few minutes away from winning it all. One of these years the stars might align. Maybe OSU will have a rash of injuries, or a recruiting violation will take them down a peg. Who knows? But we aren't, and NEVER will be "OSU". I'm ok with that. I've made my peace with that. It could be worse. I could be a fan of a team like Vandy or whoever, who will NEVER have a chance to win their conference.

NONE of that means that the scheming and playcalling doesn't need to get better. It does. This isn't an either/or like some people want it to be. Both can be true. The talent gap is huge. The scheme and playcalling have to be better.

It pains me to say this but Minnesota is better than Bucky.

And I'm not sure its even close.

The question then becomes do you think Minnesota has more talent than Wisconsin? I sure don't.

Talent is similar, but their offensive coordinator and offensive game plan is light years better.

Is it though? The Badgers have averaged over 400 yards of offense all season and outside of that terrible game against Illinois the offense has moved the ball.

Obviously I'm not including the Ohio State game because I think they are just way better than everyone else.

Edit: even 400 yards against Illinois. Does the offense need to get more innovative? Probably yes, but I dont think Minnesotas gameplan and coordinator are light years better.

Fair enough, but I don't think they need to get more innovative - they just don't seem to be using plays that have been successful in the past when Chryst was the OC, namely the jet sweep. Even just faking the jet sweep keeps the OLBs and safeties from crashing the box on the inside run plays and opens up the inside run. The play that sealed the win against Iowa last year - the fullback misdirection/end-around - to the best of my recollection hasn't been used since. Another play that was a staple with Chryst as the OC was lining up two WR outside on one side and then a quick pitch for a WR screen - another play that keeps the safeties and OLBs from crashing down on running plays.

The pistol formation I don't get at all - running is much more effective from the power-I.

They have an effective offense but they do little to set up plays for later in the game.

My skin is thick enough I can handle another beat down from OSU if it comes to it. I'll never root for Minnesota to win anything.

Preach it, brother!

Think about it -- the Badgers have been "good" for decades. Minnesota suddenly has a good season, runs the table, and makes it to the playoffs???? Something the Badgers HAVE.... NOT.... DONE. If I'm a Gopher fan, I'm ecstatic. Since I'm a Badger fan, I would have to seek out an ice pick for my eye.

An Iowa win at least makes the season somewhat exciting again.

Absolutely. Whether we get blown out again by OSU or not it would be fun if the axe game is for a spot in the B10 Championship game and not just bragging rights.

An Iowa win at least makes the season somewhat exciting again.

Absolutely. Whether we get blown out again by OSU or not it would be fun if the axe game is for a spot in the B10 Championship game and not just bragging rights.

Yep with the CFP out the Big Ten title is all we got left. I don't care much about bowl games anymore other than the Rose Bowl.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That was a very unlucky bounce on that Taylor fumble.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well that escalated in a hurry.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived