Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But the fact of the matter is, OCCASSIONALLY, maybe 1 game in 20, we'll trip up vs an inferior team while beating the majority of the rest easily.

The Badgers have had 3 trip ups in the last 19 games.

Looked at another way, they have 3 the last 60 games.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the fact of the matter is, OCCASSIONALLY, maybe 1 game in 20, we'll trip up vs an inferior team while beating the majority of the rest easily.

Trips ups happen when well coached teams meet predictable, rudimentary schemes. The Illinois defense played fast and above their talent level because they had a former NFL head coach who had no trouble deciphering UWs tendencies. Give Ohio State that kind of advantage and the results are predictably even uglier. UW doesn't need to change their recruiting, DC or head coach to take the next step. They just need to add sophistication to their offense and in turn not be so easy to defend.

Delete the 2018 season as I have and essentially they've had 1 trip up in 10 years. I suppose that last BB year could count as trip ups but that team just wasn't good, remember the QB problems and playing 5th year permanently injured Phillips out of desperation.

Even for 2018, you could also argue BYU and MN losses weren't in the slip up categories, bit of semantics. Illinois is perennial bottom feeder lately, so 100% counts. BYU definitely is not that. MN, while not great lately usually are middle of the pack-ish and win 5-8 games a year. The manner in which they lost that MN game though, woof. You're gonna lose some games though, losing to the mid level teams like these are not good, but it's gonna happen. Losing to the Illinois, Kansas, Rugers, bad mid major MAC types, yea that's a different level. Guess that's all I'm trying to say in the 2nd paragraph.

Trips ups happen when well coached teams meet predictable, rudimentary schemes. The Illinois defense played fast and above their talent level because they had a former NFL head coach who had no trouble deciphering UWs tendencies. Give Ohio State that kind of advantage and the results are predictably even uglier. UW doesn't need to change their recruiting, DC or head coach to take the next step. They just need to add sophistication to their offense and in turn not be so easy to defend.

Ok, so Ohio State getting blown out by Iowa and Purdue?

You keep pointing to the great mind that is Urban Meyer. So...how'd those trip up's happen?

No, "trip up's," happen because the PLAYERS don't play with enough energy more than any other reason. There's obviously no single reason for them, but that's far and away the biggest culprit.

And no, UW doesn't NEED to change their recruiting. They really can't improve it much. They just don't come from an area with much talent. Of all the B10 schools, Wisconsin is probably the worst talent wise with the possible exception of Iowa. It's really not that complicated.

You can draw up more sophisticated schemes all you want, but throwing the ball downfield takes time...and if you can't even give your QB at least 2.5 seconds to throw the ball because the other teams have pass rushers year after year after year like the ONE we look back at from almost 10 years ago, it's not going to matter.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

No, "trip up's," happen because the PLAYERS don't play with enough energy more than any other reason. There's obviously no single reason for them, but that's far and away the biggest culprit.

I think we agree on a lot of things, but I truly believe that Wisconsin's coaching staff was looking at Ohio State more than Illinois the week leading up to the Illinois game.

That's not to excuse the players. Coan can't throw fourth quarter interceptions. Taylor can't lose fourth quarter fumbles. The defense has to respect Reggie Corbin's speed, which they clearly did not. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't think the Badgers need to change the recruiting philosophy. I don't think the Badgers need to make changes in the coaching staff (I really like ALL the members of the current staff). I can accept the fact that the Badgers have geographical and academic handicaps and really don't have a problem with that. It's a shame that academics would ever be referred to as a handicap, but unfortunately that's the reality in the current college football landscape. I can accept the fact that generally there will always be a couple teams in the Big 10 that will be more talented than Wisconsin. But that shouldn't prevent the Badgers from going 9-3 or better most every year, and in those years where the schedule matches up and they can pull off a big upset, why not have an occasional 12-0 (maybe once every decade). This was a year that could have been an 11-1 IMO, and probably should have been a 10-2 considering the ability of the defense. Now they have to sweep the rest of the regular season to get to that mark which is still clearly achievable, but I'm just really down on them after that debacle from two weeks ago. With 3 bad losses in the last 19 games, they have slipped from the standard they set in 2015-2017 and that's disappointing.

Really wish that Iowa game was today.

And no, UW doesn't NEED to change their recruiting. They really can't improve it much. They just don't come from an area with much talent.

This is the biggest fallacy being thrown around this thread by multiple posters. if "area with much talent" mattered so much then we wouldn't have Alabama and Clemson in the national title discussion every year, we wouldn't know that Boise State existed and a California, Texas or Florida school would be in the national championship every year. University location is a minor factor for elite recruits.

The reason OSU, Alabama, Clemson, OU and other successful teams do so well is that they have dynamic coaches/coaching staffs that implement innovative pro-like offensive and defensive schemes, not 1950-s era vanilla schemes that UW seems to be stuck in. An elite recruits chance of getting drafted in the big-money rounds is significantly better coming from the "elite" schools. The only thing keeping UW from being competitive for elite talent is their entire approach to football. Chicken and egg. Without a dynamic/pro-like approach to playing the game, few elite prospects and without elite prospects, little success running a pro-like/dynamic approach because the slow unskilled talent that gets UW won't lead to success. Success breads success. UW has been successful being one of the top dog with an old-school approach, but they will never be OSU, not because OSU has a slightly better recruiting base, but because UW would have to evolve and that's risky, takes you out of your comfort zone and might not get you a bowl game for a few years or even as successful as the tried-and-true "UW football" approach. I'm not knocking the UW approach as it seems to have been successful, but that approach is exactly why they won't get elite talent and compete with the elite schools like OSU, not some cop-out about recruiting talent in your area. Coaching staffs matter a lot more than any other factor.

YWKn26R.png

Is there a Phil Knight type of dude living in Wisconsin?

By the way, Jim Leonard is 44th on the list.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The S&C coach from Iowa looks like Thanos:

ZgzlN0b.png

XOfKGRT.jpg

"University location is a minor factor for elite recruits."

This statement is 100% false. Location is the #1 predictor of where a kid will go. Do a bit of research on it and it's clear, 5-10 mins on google will do it, the data is all out there. Long story short, kids almost always stay within 3 states of home. Essentially, they stay within driving distance of home, 6ish hour radius from home.

I'd like to also reiterate the difference it makes when your offense isn't extremely predictable and the defense isn't handed the advantage of knowing what's coming via your tendencies and formations. Urban Meyer spoke to Wisconsin's predictability at halftime on Saturday. We are witnessing the difference it makes each and every Sunday this season with the Green Bay Packers.

This is the argument for Mertz being played in the 2nd half. I mentioned Coan had a 20yard arm to defend and OSU stacked the box, stuffing him, Taylor, about anything that was inside the box. Having Mertz or running the wildcat at least drops one out of the box or run blitz defense, because big play potential would rise. Coan out there that day had probably a 5% chance at a big play potential.

I know I was responded to on the 20yard mention and that OSU's QB didn't have but 2pass plays over 20yards. The answer to that is that they didn't need that kind of big play. They got their yards because the O-line had to only account for a LB and playcall away from said LB. Their OL is better than UW's DL. QB also could escape the pocket and run downfield for yards. The point is that UW didn't play stacking the box and daring the QB to throw a ball longer than 15yards. The game also wasn't close as it continued on, and a coach only needed to plays that ran the clock because it continued to work.

As Monte Ball tweeted the offense is too predictable and a Playoff quality team as OSU is took advantage of Chryst coaching with predictability.

Do we want Minnesota to win this so we can have a win over a “good” opponent if we happen to get on a run?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Do we want Minnesota to win this so we can have a win over a “good” opponent if we happen to get on a run?

No, I prefer Minnesota experience great disappointment.

No, I prefer Minnesota experience great disappointment.

Plus we need a Minnesota loss to even have hope of being in the B10 Championship.

We were chuckling at Minnesota a few weeks ago and since then we've been exposed and they look like the pretty legit ones.

I think PSU will get pummeled against OSU, too. And there is still plenty of game for minnesota to lose this one at home.

I'm not saying Minnesota will win for sure, but they at least look like they belong on the field with a top 5 national team.

It pains me to say this but Minnesota is better than Bucky.

And I'm not sure its even close.

The question then becomes do you think Minnesota has more talent than Wisconsin? I sure don't.

The overall Talent levels are pretty even but Minnesota has the edge in the areas that really matter.

Archived