Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
To my surprise Cephus has been reinstated. This should be a boost to the team both in talent and moral.

Not shocking at all. After he was found not guilty there was little basis for being expelled. If they would have kept it intact Cephus would have went after the university hard and it would have been an ugly situation for the university.

What wasn't fully clear is if he planned to actually go to Wisconsin and play football...or go elsewhere. We will see how that goes, but I would expect a return to the football team.

The burden of proof at trial vs the Universities ethics code/board is drastically different(obviously, doubt I'm telling you anything you don't know). It was his lawyer's long comments on these matters that basically forced UW to allow him back into school IMO as they came so soon after his comments.

Right, I am not doubting they could pull up some code of conduct stuff to knock him with...but the odds he did enough to, on a first offense, to be expelled? That is where I doubt it and to determine that would have been a messy court battle. If they had kept him expelled it would have seriously dampened his ability to go to college anywhere else. That is a pretty serious punishment you are thus putting on him.

And it sounds like he still got something attached to his record at UW to where if he gets caught up in wrong, but not illegal activity again he very well could be expelled for good. Likely gives them a shorter leash in the future to expel him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hornibrook's overall stats don't even look bad, it was just the ridiculous level of inconsistency from him that stymied this team. There were a couple of games vs top 10 teams that we were in the whole time, he could just not make anything happen(that 14-7 loss to Michigan for example).

I think his stats were partially inflated because he didn't really get much of a leash to do anything drastic. He was limited heavily to short passes in most cases. His deep passes were mostly jump balls and his medium game wasn't very good either. He simply did not have the talent to make plays consistently. He wasn't consistent because he wasn't that good. Of course, last year specifically, I thought their WRs sucked pretty bad and getting open was some fictional concept. So Horinibrook, not being Aaron Rodgers, didn't complete to many big passes.

Looking at last year Hornibrook had ONE good game against a relevant opponent...Iowa. Which is shocking because I was at that game and he put together one heck of a drive at the end. His one shining moment last year, thanks Alex. The teams Hornibrook beat last year had an average record of 4-8. He was a joke against what ended up a 1-11 Rutgers team.

Though looking back I will give Coan credit. He was pretty darn decent in his starts and they were against relevant teams. Maybe they will have confidence in Coan to start the season and give him freedom to have an identity.

Right, I am not doubting they could pull up some code of conduct stuff to knock him with...but the odds he did enough to, on a first offense, to be expelled? That is where I doubt it and to determine that would have been a messy court battle. If they had kept him expelled it would have seriously dampened his ability to go to college anywhere else. That is a pretty serious punishment you are thus putting on him.

And it sounds like he still got something attached to his record at UW to where if he gets caught up in wrong, but not illegal activity again he very well could be expelled for good. Likely gives them a shorter leash in the future to expel him.

Well....it's a good thing for him he had a lawyer that was interested and committed in his case. Because without that lawyer, he's probably not finishing college(and he probably ends up pleading guilty to something in a plea deal). What's the saying, "better to be rich and guilty than poor and innocent." No clue what his background is, but it sounds like even with this lawyer who gave him a chance in court, the school was going to deny his request to allow him back in before he(the lawyer) kept forcing the issue.

As for the odds he did enough to actually be expelled? I haven't got a clue. I'm too ignorant about this case to really know and eve those informed enough are just the ones involved. But I know UW doesn't want controversy. So the odds he did enough to warrant expulsion and the odds that UW would have rather let the expulsion stand and not let someone accused of something like he was back on campus, thereby denying the request for admission...two very different standards most likely. For SOME people in some cases, it's better to be seen by others to be doing the "right thing," than to actually do the right thing. And again, I'm not Cephus advocate, don't really know enough, but I'll bet there are at least some protests on that campus. Might only be a very small group. It's called the vocal minority for a reason.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Hornibrook's overall stats don't even look bad, it was just the ridiculous level of inconsistency from him that stymied this team. There were a couple of games vs top 10 teams that we were in the whole time, he could just not make anything happen(that 14-7 loss to Michigan for example).

I think his stats were partially inflated because he didn't really get much of a leash to do anything drastic. He was limited heavily to short passes in most cases. His deep passes were mostly jump balls and his medium game wasn't very good either. He simply did not have the talent to make plays consistently. He wasn't consistent because he wasn't that good. Of course, last year specifically, I thought their WRs sucked pretty bad and getting open was some fictional concept. So Horinibrook, not being Aaron Rodgers, didn't complete to many big passes.

Looking at last year Hornibrook had ONE good game against a relevant opponent...Iowa. Which is shocking because I was at that game and he put together one heck of a drive at the end. His one shining moment last year, thanks Alex. The teams Hornibrook beat last year had an average record of 4-8. He was a joke against what ended up a 1-11 Rutgers team.

Though looking back I will give Coan credit. He was pretty darn decent in his starts and they were against relevant teams. Maybe they will have confidence in Coan to start the season and give him freedom to have an identity.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that Hornibrook has the best winning pct of any QB at UW ever. He played in a lot more than one game. That leesh you're talking about was pretty long vs Miami in the bowl the year before....which made people optimistic he'd turned the corner and would be a better passer.

But looking at his first two years, he did have some nice games and he made some great throws. Last year he was consistently bad, the first two years, he was actually pretty good at times. That's mostly what I meant by him being inconsistent.

...if he gets caught up in wrong, but not illegal activity again

What do you mean wrong activity AGAIN? What has he done that's wrong?

Based on the comments by the school while they were reviewing his expulsion and now after I get the sense that they still feel he did something against their rules/conduct/ethics policy in some way. While reviewing they said, "Generally speaking, it’s important to note that the University of Wisconsin System’s code of student conduct is separate from criminal law and that students may be held responsible for violations of the code regardless of whether those violations are also criminal." And said this today, "As a result of this review, sanctions for Quintez Cephus have been reduced and his expulsion lifted. There were findings of responsibility of the student non-academic misconduct code that were upheld."

So I take that as something was still "wrong" in their eyes as they didn't exactly wipe his record clean. I don't know what and I really don't care to read what is likely a lengthy code of conduct to figure it out.

That being said Cephus has no choice but to attend UW and join the UW football team as he cannot go anywhere else and be eligible this year to play. From my understanding that is due to academic reasons.

I'm sure just meant things that violate the code of conduct but not necessarily criminal. Just keep in mind he wasn't exactly a saint that night. I guess for this specific example, think of the picture taking aspects of it that should not be very debatable, arguable, or controversial here as something not right. IDK what else is in that code, but I'd assume things like cheating on test, public drunk type incidents, fighting, things like that could apply etc.

For the team, some of the stuff I've been reading have me feeling much better than I was a couple months ago. Too bad they have a very though schedule, so they actually could be improved and much better but still have a 'bad' year in UW standards by losing 4ish times. We'll see soon enough

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No clue what his background is, but it sounds like even with this lawyer who gave him a chance in court, the school was going to deny his request to allow him back in before he(the lawyer) kept forcing the issue.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No clue what his background is, but it sounds like even with this lawyer who gave him a chance in court, the school was going to deny his request to allow him back in before he(the lawyer) kept forcing the issue.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

From two different members of the Athletic Department, one a member of the coaching staff, one who works with Alvarez.

Or there was just the obvious reading between the lines, UW's refusal to re-admit him until his lawyer started to put more pressure on them. For instance the 9 straight tweets he sent outlining how wrong he felt UW was for not allowing Cephus back into school.

Yeah obviously he was putting pressure on them because that's his job but they never refused to readmit him at least publicly. There was a poorly headlined story that gave that impression. I am surprised anyone thought it would take 48 hours to get that squared away after the trial ended. Now if you want to argue that because the lawyer pressured them and they caved that's something else.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah obviously he was putting pressure on them because that's his job but they never refused to readmit him at least publicly. There was a poorly headlined story that gave that impression. I am surprised anyone thought it would take 48 hours to get that squared away after the trial ended. Now if you want to argue that because the lawyer pressured them and they caved that's something else.

I don't think anyone thought it'd 48 hours to get it squared away. It took about 2 and 1/2 weeks. But just going by what they said publicly, it appeared there was a strong chance they were not going to let him back in.

I don't think it's a coincidence that after his lawyer made a relatively long, fairly detailed public statement, he was as re-admitted the next day.

There were a lot of things going on. You had leaders of different groups publicly getting involved, some calling Cephus a predator after the verdict, some attacking UW for jumping to a conclusion and the way it handles student disciplinary issues. Cephus sued the school, dropped it, the lawyer threatened to pick it back up again.

It's a nightmare for the school. They certainly don't want to be seen as not taking this issue seriously. It literally sounds like Blank looked through the evidence, particularly the videotapes that the jurors found to be the most convincing and the "witnesses" from the bar and unilaterally made a decision on this.

With that schedule and all the new faces this could be the year the bowl streak ends.

Well...you're just bounding with optimism tonight, aren't you? How do you look at the talent the Badgers have and conclude that they don't get to 6 wins going into the season? The 17th ranked team in the country.

How many times will it take this program to out perform expectations before people not only expect them to stop doing so, but to fail to even come close to meeting them?

Yeah, they've got a tough schedule. Not sure how you go into the season thinking 5-7 though. When was the last time the Badgers were under .500?

With that schedule and all the new faces this could be the year the bowl streak ends.

What new faces? The only projected starters that haven’t seen significant meaningful snaps are Seltzner and Green-May, and they have both had strong camps reportedly. Yes some guys are going to be asked to play larger roles, but I don’t see a lack of game experience.

I don't think it is that shocking to think they could be 5-7. First off they only went 7-5 last year and I can't say this team is crazy better on paper. Mind you they went 7-5 last year with way higher expectations and a pathetic schedule. The key is probably that first game, which they could lose at South Florida. If they win that they have three other cupcake wins (CM, IL, Kent St) to get them already to four wins.

For Example:

South Florida - Loss

Central Michigan - Win

Michigan - Loss

Northwestern - Loss

Kent State - Win

Michigan State - Loss

Illinois - Win

Ohio State - Loss

Iowa - Win

Nebraska - Loss

Purdue - Win

Minnesota - Loss

5-7, not exactly a shocking result if you ask me.

My personal predictions:

South Florida - Win

Central Michigan - Win

Michigan - Loss

Northwestern - Win

Kent State - Win

Michigan State - Loss

Illinois - Win

Ohio State - Loss

Iowa - Win

Nebraska - Win

Purdue - Win

Minnesota - Loss

8-4, I personally have a hard time thinking they could fail to win 6 games. we will see how the QB play shakes out, but even a poor Coan should be able to get them to 6 wins. I am a bit more optimistic and think someone will lock down some quality play before the last third of the season and they can pull out a lot of nice wins. In some order I think they win 3/4 of their last games.

5 - 7 is worst case possible, IMO.

Just looking at teams, and the Badgers schedule appears pretty tough. But the schedule certainly isn't overwhelming when looking at the home/away breakdown. The three non-conference games should all be wins (South Florida, Central Michigan, Kent State). Five conference games at home, four conference games on the road. The only brutal road game they have is at Ohio State. Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State and Iowa all have to play in Madison, and Camp Randall has historically been a pretty tough place to play (and could be again with the Hornibrook factor no longer playing a role). Projecting 5-7 is saying they will beat up on games where they will be solid favorites (non-conference plus Illinois and Purdue), and then they will lose 100% of all the games that figure to be at least somewhat competitive. That's not going to happen. They have to go to Nebraska, but Nebraska has been clueless as to how to stop the run for the last 10+ years now. That's a very winnable game for UW. Minnesota, I see big-time payback coming there unless Coan turns out to be Hornibrook Jr. and completely takes any chance for a UW win away. Very winnable game. Why would Iowa be a favorite going into Camp Randall? I have a ton of respect for Northwestern's program, but why would they be a favorite going into Camp Randall?

I think fans should expect a minimum of 8 regular season wins out of this group.

Cephus has been cleared to play. This should help the team out this year at WR.

Good news, his loss was pretty big last season, I know they were deep but he was the top guy coming back and the rest of them didn't look so great without him. Get some better QB play and this could be a surprise season. Really surprised he came back, thought he would look elsewhere to just get away from the whole thing.

South Florida was 3-5 in conference last year, 7-5 overall, in a weak conference that only had two teams with less than five losses overall. I don't see how the Badgers aren't favored against them.

The Northwestern game last year was a fluke. UW lost three fumbles, and it was Coan's first career start. Northwestern lost their senior QB from last year, and even though they were 8-1 in conference last year they were 9-5 overall and extremely lucky - they were only +14 on point differential for the entire season (UW was +88). Yes, they have a formerly highly ranked recruit who transferred in, but he lost his job and left Clemson for a reason. I don't see why UW is not favored at home.

Wisconsin beat Michigan at home two years ago. With Hornibrook as QB. Can't see why they can't do that again. This is the same Michigan State was 7-6 last year. Barely beat Utah State, lost to Arizona State, also lost to Northwestern, only scored 6 points and lost at Nebraska, and barely beat Rutgers. I don't see why UW isn't favored since it's a home game, and I believe Homecoming.

I really think there was something funky in the locker room involving Hornibrook last year with either Edwards, the receivers, or both. All reports say that the vibe this year is quite different than last year.

Barring lots of key injuries, I think 9-3. Losses to Ohio State, and two of Michigan/@Nebraska/@Minnesota. Sure, they could lose to others, but they could beat Michigan at home just as easily as they could lose to Northwestern or Michigan State.

South Florida was 3-5 in conference last year, 7-5 overall, in a weak conference that only had two teams with less than five losses overall. I don't see how the Badgers aren't favored against them.

The Northwestern game last year was a fluke. UW lost three fumbles, and it was Coan's first career start. Northwestern lost their senior QB from last year, and even though they were 8-1 in conference last year they were 9-5 overall and extremely lucky - they were only +14 on point differential for the entire season (UW was +88). Yes, they have a formerly highly ranked recruit who transferred in, but he lost his job and left Clemson for a reason. I don't see why UW is not favored at home.

Wisconsin beat Michigan at home two years ago. With Hornibrook as QB. Can't see why they can't do that again. This is the same Michigan State was 7-6 last year. Barely beat Utah State, lost to Arizona State, also lost to Northwestern, only scored 6 points and lost at Nebraska, and barely beat Rutgers. I don't see why UW isn't favored since it's a home game, and I believe Homecoming.

I really think there was something funky in the locker room involving Hornibrook last year with either Edwards, the receivers, or both. All reports say that the vibe this year is quite different than last year.

Barring lots of key injuries, I think 9-3. Losses to Ohio State, and two of Michigan/@Nebraska/@Minnesota. Sure, they could lose to others, but they could beat Michigan at home just as easily as they could lose to Northwestern or Michigan State.

I'm with you across the board here...except for the Clemson QB thing. The guy lost his job because he was stuck between a stud QB and then probably the best Freshmen QB in NCAA history and maybe the best talent since Elway...Ever? Hell, I'd trade Rodgers now if we'd be guaranteed to get Lawrence in 2 years.

I agree otherwise though. The Badgers are just way too talented to just suddenly drop below .500.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won between 8-10 games. 7 would be about the worst I could see them doing.

I'm with you across the board here...except for the Clemson QB thing. The guy lost his job because he was stuck between a stud QB and then probably the best Freshmen QB in NCAA history and maybe the best talent since Elway...Ever? Hell, I'd trade Rodgers now if we'd be guaranteed to get Lawrence in 2 years.

I agree otherwise though. The Badgers are just way too talented to just suddenly drop below .500.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won between 8-10 games. 7 would be about the worst I could see them doing.

Archived