Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 years ago people were saying the Badgers would win the B10 Championship and make a playoff in the next 5 years.

Until they can solve the massive recruiting deficiency, which is almost an unsolvable problem, they probably aren't going to have that breakthrough season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
5 years ago people were saying the Badgers would win the B10 Championship and make a playoff in the next 5 years.

Until they can solve the massive recruiting deficiency, which is almost an unsolvable problem, they probably aren't going to have that breakthrough season.

Everything has to fall their way. Notably injuries and schedule.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Such a subjective overruling.

Did they even look at it?? I am so sick and tired of replay. They whiff on it all too often and to me it’s just insane. How can they royally screw up calls when it’s on slow-mo video? It’s like they’re on drugs.

I can accept a ref on the field messing up. I cannot accept a replay mistake because it’s clear. It’s inexcusable.

It's part of the reason I don't get too emotionally invested in Badger football - not nearly to the extent of Packer football. I realize what a massive disadvantage they're at and understand that it's highly likely I'll never see a Badger championship in my lifetime.

It's not a talent problem or a recruiting problem. At every level of athletics (middle school, high school, college...) - leadership, mentality, culture, planning, and execution can and often does overcome marginal differences in talent. Illinois probably has a talent gap and recruiting gap to Wisconsin, yet why did they win? Leadership, mentality, and execution. Wisconsin has reached it's ceiling with the leadership and culture of Paul Chryst. I for one, am fine with it, but blaming it on a talent gap is laughable.

That OSU offensive line is better than ours right now. If we don’t have the edge there we don’t have one at any position on the field, and the score is starting to show it.

And yet the Badgers offensive line will produce better pros. Talent isn't the issue on the o-line. You'd think the turnaround the Packers are enjoying now that the opposing defense doesn't know exactly what play is coming would enlighten fans as to how much the Badgers have to overcome. But it's far easier just to say it's all a talent issue.

It's part of the reason I don't get too emotionally invested in Badger football - not nearly to the extent of Packer football. I realize what a massive disadvantage they're at and understand that it's highly likely I'll never see a Badger championship in my lifetime.

The Packers are the only major sports team in Wisconsin not at a significant disadvantage.

It's not a talent problem or a recruiting problem. At every level of athletics (middle school, high school, college...) - leadership, mentality, culture, planning, and execution can and often does overcome marginal differences in talent. Illinois probably has a talent gap and recruiting gap to Wisconsin, yet why did they win? Leadership, mentality, and execution. Wisconsin has reached it's ceiling with the leadership and culture of Paul Chryst. I for one, am fine with it, but blaming it on a talent gap is laughable.

Illinois has a coaching gap. Not a talent gap.

Badgers can beat talented but poorly coached teams.

They cant beat talented well coached teams.

Huh? You're talking about something completely different. Yes, a team less talented like Illinois can beat a team like UW, but Illinois isn't going to win a championship.

Leadership and mentality and all that does not win championships. Yes, it can overcome marginal differences in talent but the top teams in the country and perennial contenders always have a massive recruiting advantage.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm happy with where they are at as a program.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don’t see Illinois as having a talent gap to WI. Maybe less depth, but match up starters and I’d bet IL actually has higher rated recruits. Especially along the defensive front IL has actually been recruiting really well.

Brilliant call having the tight end single block their dominant pass rusher on an obvious passing down. But yeah, it's all just a talent issue.

Yes the coaching could be better at times but how many of the Badgers starters would start for OSU?

Maybe 2 or three?

The thing is before last week they'd still have a chance to put this behind them and still have a chance to get in by running it and winning the rematch. But they shot that all to hell by blowing it against Illinois last week.

Brilliant call having the tight end single block their dominant pass rusher on an obvious passing down. But yeah, it's all just a talent issue.

Yes the coaching could be better at times but how many of the Badgers starters would start for OSU?

Maybe 2 or three?

That might be generous. When you actually think about it, I can’t name one that would be for sure. Maybe Taylor, but Dobbins is legit.

Archived