Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chryst is Mike McCarthy. UW would need a Rodgers-level QB to overcome this stale, predictable offensive scheme. Someone who can throw people open and change plays at the line when the play has no chance. Something that's virtually non-existent in college which means Bucky is stuck with what you see today. Even that 4th and 1 they converted. It was gutsy to go for it, but the play called was trash. 11 defenders in the box and we get the token run up the gut. If #1 for OSU knew how to fill a hole or tackle, Taylor was going nowhere. That crap works against Eastern Michigan but try beating Ohio State over the course of 60 minutes, not so much.

They're doing a lot right. They're recruiting better, they have possessed a creative, playmaking defensive scheme going back to Aranda, and they have an identity that works. Those 3 factors show that things could be a lot worse. But what's preventing them from ever getting over the hump is the McMarthy-like mentality of "out-executing" over "out-scheming" the opponent. I actually don't even think the talent gap is as massive as it's made out to be. UW is starting to churn out a lot of NFL talent. Chryst needs to innovate.

This is harsh, and mostly incorrect, IMO. And the death of Jack Coan by Badger fans appears to have been a bit exaggerated....

I wasn't saying Coan is the problem. He's a decent QB playing against a stacked deck. They let him throw one downfield and he made the play. Good on him. Will they continue to be aggressive?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
oof
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you were watching this game with the sound off you'd think Leonard was UW's head coach.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And the death of Jack Coan by Badger fans appears to have been a bit exaggerated....

I called for Mertz, but my statement was “Take the kid gloves off of Coan or play Mertz.”

I don’t know if they don’t call shot plays, if he chooses to check it down, whatever it may be.... but they need to at least take a shot once in a while just to keep the safeties honest. Seems like they have training wheels on Coan some times... but to be clear I don’t hate Coan.

Chryst is Mike McCarthy. UW would need a Rodgers-level QB to overcome this stale, predictable offensive scheme. Someone who can throw people open and change plays at the line when the play has no chance. Something that's virtually non-existent in college which means Bucky is stuck with what you see today. Even that 4th and 1 they converted. It was gutsy to go for it, but the play called was trash. 11 defenders in the box and we get the token run up the gut. If #1 for OSU knew how to fill a hole or tackle, Taylor was going nowhere. That crap works against Eastern Michigan but try beating Ohio State over the course of 60 minutes, not so much.

They're doing a lot right. They're recruiting better, they have possessed a creative, playmaking defensive scheme going back to Aranda, and they have an identity that works. Those 3 factors show that things could be a lot worse. But what's preventing them from ever getting over the hump is the McMarthy-like mentality of "out-executing" over "out-scheming" the opponent. I actually don't even think the talent gap is as massive as it's made out to be. UW is starting to churn out a lot of NFL talent. Chryst needs to innovate.

This is harsh, and mostly incorrect, IMO. And the death of Jack Coan by Badger fans appears to have been a bit exaggerated....

Getting back to this, what was so harsh, and what was incorrect? I gave them plenty of credit for reaching this level as a program. Given the jump they've made in recruiting, one could argue this is the most advanced the program has ever been.They just don't appear capable of making the next step however. They overwhelm smaller programs with their offensive line but don't do anything all that worrisome scheme-wise to keep better, faster defenses guessing.

So what more than topping out at a New Year's day bowl are you seeing in their future?

Getting back to this, what was so harsh, and what was incorrect? I gave them plenty of credit for reaching this level as a program. Given the jump they've made in recruiting, one could argue this is the most advanced the program has ever been.They just don't appear capable of making the next step however. They overwhelm smaller programs with their offensive line but don't do anything all that worrisome scheme-wise to keep better, faster defenses guessing.

So what more than topping out at a New Year's day bowl are you seeing in their future?

Chryst’s style has worked 79% of the time so far. They’ll win the Big Ten Championship and make the playoff at some point in the next five years.

I called for Mertz, but my statement was “Take the kid gloves off of Coan or play Mertz.”

Yeah I am not down on Coan at all and maybe Mertz just isn't ready yet, I just think in college football there is nothing wrong with putting the backup in when the offense is struggling.

And the death of Jack Coan by Badger fans appears to have been a bit exaggerated....

I don’t know if they don’t call shot plays, if he chooses to check it down, whatever it may be.... but they need to at least take a shot once in a while just to keep the safeties honest. Seems like they have training wheels on Coan some times... but to be clear I don’t hate Coan.

Correct, and even Urban Meyer was saying as much at halftime. He said they have to do something with their WRs to keep the defense honest. He said Taylor (as good as he is) will go nowhere if they keep running their offense like this. For some reason, I tend to think Urban Meyer knows a thing or two about playing Wisconsin.

Chryst’s style has worked 79% of the time so far. They’ll win the Big Ten Championship and make the playoff at some point in the next five years.

Not much detail to that answer considering my comments were "harsh" and "mostly wrong". My equally basic reply is: not running schemes like this they won't.

tackling is optional in the 2nd half

Playing Ohio State is usually an unpleasant reminder of the gap between the Badgers and the top-4. And there is another big gap between Ohio State and Alabama.

yeah scheme shmeme. The talent gap is obvious.

Archived