Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the fair catch?

Get the ball at the 25 after a fair catch on the 6? That's a rule I never knew about.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

What the fair catch?

Get the ball at the 25 after a fair catch on the 6? That's a rule I never knew about.

I knew the rule but I don't understand the decision. An opportunity to make an impact play and instead you call for a fair catch without a defender within 20yds of you. :Shrugs: Coaching mentality rubbing off on these kids.

I don't believe a Coan led offense is going to put up any points today.

Nope, I’m all for playing Mertz at this point. Really nothing to lose trying it. If he takes it and runs, great. If it looks like he’s not ready still just his 3rd game and red shirt still in tact.

JT23 not here next year, take a chance now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Running the ball the last two plays seemed like an unnecessary risk.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't believe a Coan led offense is going to put up any points today.

Nope, I’m all for playing Mertz at this point. Really nothing to lose trying it. If he takes it and runs, great. If it looks like he’s not ready still just his 3rd game and red shirt still in tact.

JT23 not here next year, take a chance now.

I don't see how Bringing in Mertz against this defense helps him at all.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What the fair catch?

I knew the rule but I don't understand the decision. An opportunity to make an impact play and instead you call for a fair catch without a defender within 20yds of you. :Shrugs: Coaching mentality rubbing off on these kids.

Im guessing with the wet ball they didnt want to risk a fumble on a return and give osu another shot at a short field.

Only chance UW has to win is if defense scores a TD. offense might get lucky and score one.

Chryst is Mike McCarthy. UW would need a Rodgers-level QB to overcome this stale, predictable offensive scheme. Someone who can throw people open and change plays at the line when the play has no chance. Something that's virtually non-existent in college which means Bucky is stuck with what you see today. Even that 4th and 1 they converted. It was gutsy to go for it, but the play called was trash. 11 defenders in the box and we get the token run up the gut. If #1 for OSU knew how to fill a hole or tackle, Taylor was going nowhere. That crap works against Eastern Michigan but try beating Ohio State over the course of 60 minutes, not so much.

They're doing a lot right. They're recruiting better, they have possessed a creative, playmaking defensive scheme going back to Aranda, and they have an identity that works. Those 3 factors show that things could be a lot worse. But what's preventing them from ever getting over the hump is the McMarthy-like mentality of "out-executing" over "out-scheming" the opponent. I actually don't even think the talent gap is as massive as it's made out to be. UW is starting to churn out a lot of NFL talent. Chryst needs to innovate.

I liked the wildcat they showed with Cruickshank. have they done that before?

Chryst is Mike McCarthy. UW would need a Rodgers-level QB to overcome this stale, predictable offensive scheme. Someone who can throw people open and change plays at the line when the play has no chance. Something that's virtually non-existent in college which means Bucky is stuck with what you see today. Even that 4th and 1 they converted. It was gutsy to go for it, but the play called was trash. 11 defenders in the box and we get the token run up the gut. If #1 for OSU knew how to fill a hole or tackle, Taylor was going nowhere. That crap works against Eastern Michigan but try beating Ohio State over the course of 60 minutes, not so much.

They're doing a lot right. They're recruiting better, they have possessed a creative, playmaking defensive scheme going back to Aranda, and they have an identity that works. Those 3 factors show that things could be a lot worse. But what's preventing them from ever getting over the hump is the McMarthy-like mentality of "out-executing" over "out-scheming" the opponent. I actually don't even think the talent gap is as massive as it's made out to be. UW is starting to churn out a lot of NFL talent. Chryst needs to innovate.

100% spot on! I sit on my couch and have damn near called the plays and subsequent results on 85 to 90 percent of the plays, including the sacks, before the snap. The only exception was the 27yd jet sweep and the 3rd down conversion to Cephus.

This is harsh, and mostly incorrect, IMO. And the death of Jack Coan by Badger fans appears to have been a bit exaggerated....

Archived