Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82

I could see either way. Lots of sense in either route. FYI-I did a quick run through a UW specific site and there also doesn't seem to be any clear info yet on these eligibility scenarios ya'll are discussing. Just kind of wait and see now.

One thing I'd add on the staying at UW route being around things here and maybe know a smidge more info. His dad was murdered a couple years back and from what I understand he's very close with the WR coach here, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth or overstate anything as I don't have personal direct knowledge but one could probably surmise in kind of a fatherly type of way. That maybe could be a big part of him wanting to stay. This kid has gone through a lot the last couple years so stability and a known support system he has here could be huge to him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Related question, if Cephus HADN'T applied at UW, and instead applied at say Northern Illinois, I'm assuming he'd have to sit out a year per the transfer rules, right? He missed a year of FB already... I'd think coming back to UW where he'd hypothetically be able to play right away again (which I assume would be the case) might be the most logical reason for why he'd stay here regardless.

From what I read he can transfer and play right away. I am not exactly sure why and I also read he still has two years of eligibility.

Also from a pure football standpoint I think Wisconsin would actually be the most logical. He likely has a ton of friends on the football team and I would guess a lot would welcome him back with a ton of support. Likely the best team he will get on and they have one heck of a QB prospect to end his last two years. Mind you he knows the offense and would arguably the top guy.

From a non football standpoint I think it is overblown. He was found not guilty and that campus is massive. It isn't like a small town where you should probably move out because you can't avoid the problem (the accuser girls for instance). Regardless of where he goes he is probably wise to not partake in alcoholic events and get with random girls. So I don't see how a new school really helps him.

It is hard to say if he wants to stay at Wisconsin or not. He will get readmitted so they clean up his record etc...but he can just dart after that if he wants. From what I have seen nothing has really been said in that aspect. I have seen misleading headlines saying he "wants to come back", but that is reporting he is seeking readmission. Which, as we know, he has to do to go anywhere else anyway.

I don't really agree with this. It is kinda like a small town and it's a student base that's very...opinionated for lack of a better word and it's not going to matter what the verdict is for a lot of people, it's going to be "he got away with it." Facts won't matter to a lot of people, he's guilty.

I actually think of it very much like a small town.

But just reading the comment about him being close to his coaches and his father being murdered, these are things I had totally forgotten about, he was coming up with some of the guys when that happened. So that could have created a particularly close bond.

I don't know how he's viewed on campus, so it's impossible to have a real strong opinion one way or the other. But it's really a bad time to have those accusations next to your name on a campus-like UW-regardless of the verdict.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Related question, if Cephus HADN'T applied at UW, and instead applied at say Northern Illinois, I'm assuming he'd have to sit out a year per the transfer rules, right? He missed a year of FB already... I'd think coming back to UW where he'd hypothetically be able to play right away again (which I assume would be the case) might be the most logical reason for why he'd stay here regardless.

He sat out last year, so I don't think he'd have to. I'm thinking that appeal would be pushed through real quick and would be just a matter of paper work.

But...it's the NCAA, so who knows how the hell they'd rule on anything.

Tough position for Chryst to be in though. First of all, just being a decent human being, it's tough to keep a guy on the team that is accused of something like this. You don't KNOW what happened. Second, you don't want to develop a culture where guys think they can get away with crap like Nebraska in the 90's. The stories from that program were awful. Players going out to diners and just accosting women in skirts and whatnot.

So I'd hope Cephus would know that as a head coach, you really don't have any room to work within the margins there. You're on trial for sexual assault, you have to be away from the team. People can have their opinions on if charges should have been brought, but once they are...

Best case scenario, he can work his way back in with this team and give them another weapon and make the best outta this awful situation.

And I'm sure their fans will find a way to occupy at least a quarter of the seats at Camp Randall.

Based on my experience in Dallas, they're real easy to spot. The women all have mini pom-poms and the men all look like Eli Manning, complete with flop haircuts (or conservative parts).

I said it on twitter last year but every SEC fan you see on TV either looks like Farmer Fran from The Waterboy or looks woefully underdressed for their country club.

From a non football standpoint I think it is overblown. He was found not guilty and that campus is massive. It isn't like a small town where you should probably move out because you can't avoid the problem (the accuser girls for instance).

When you're a star player on a college football team, every campus is a small town.

From a non football standpoint I think it is overblown. He was found not guilty and that campus is massive. It isn't like a small town where you should probably move out because you can't avoid the problem (the accuser girls for instance).

When you're a star player on a college football team, every campus is a small town.

I think people are grossly overrating how much people will care about this if he arrived back to campus.

Especially when it comes to a topic like this. There's going to be a vocal minority who believes he got away with something regardless of the jury's finding.

A little disappointed that we just are not going to go with the talent at QB. This season should be looked at as a building block to the next three years after. Make a run at something special.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mertz will progress just fine. Football compared to other sports involves a steeper learning curve when joining a new team, and it's also easier to get game like reps in practice. Let him practice until he's the best QB. No need to throw him into the fire before he's ready, or do anything other than put the best team on the field when we should have a decent team this year.

Most reports are Coan has taken the job and ran with it. I dont really see Jonathan Taylors likely final season as a developmental season. They have enough talent to win the conference now. They are going to need good health (Van Lanen, Ferguson, Rand, Loudermilk, Baun), but there arent alot of holes in the ones if the secondary progresses.

I can almost bet Coan>Mertz

He is a freaking freshman QB...no reason to toss him to the wolves. Coan isn’t going to lead this team anywhere so after he struggles in multiple games he will be sent away for Mertz. Let Mertz get comfortable and get into a groove as a freshman.

He is a freaking freshman QB...no reason to toss him to the wolves. Coan isn’t going to lead this team anywhere so after he struggles in multiple games he will be sent away for Mertz. Let Mertz get comfortable and get into a groove as a freshman.

:rolleyes :rolleyes

It's amazing how many years we can watch Badgers FB, watch players wildly exceed expectations and then just declare with this level of certainty what will happen...

In fact, I would almost guarantee that you'd have said the same when Tolzien took over in 2009 before leading the Badgers to 21 wins and a 2 PT conversion away from a top 3 national ranking.

I haven't actually watched Coan in Spring Practice or camp, so I won't guess how he's progressed, but It'd be foolish enough to write him off. Especially with the talent around him.

All he has to do is be a competent passer. We have good receiving options, he has a strong arm and Taylor and the running game makes the job far easier. Do people really not remember that Hornibrook led us to a 13-1 record and a TD away from getting into the playoffs in the B10 Championship game?

:rolleyes :rolleyes

It's amazing how many years we can watch Badgers FB, watch players wildly exceed expectations and then just declare with this level of certainty what will happen...

In fact, I would almost guarantee that you'd have said the same when Tolzien took over in 2009 before leading the Badgers to 21 wins and a 2 PT conversion away from a top 3 national ranking.

I haven't actually watched Coan in Spring Practice or camp, so I won't guess how he's progressed, but It'd be foolish enough to write him off. Especially with the talent around him.

All he has to do is be a competent passer. We have good receiving options, he has a strong arm and Taylor and the running game makes the job far easier. Do people really not remember that Hornibrook led us to a 13-1 record and a TD away from getting into the playoffs in the B10 Championship game?

I didn't watch the Badgers in 2009, so no, I would almost guarantee I didn't.

I mean strong wording to say Hornibrook led them anywhere. The defense led them there and running game ran the offense. Unless by default you just give the QB leadership credentials. In my opinion Coan doesn't have the sheer talent level to take over an offense and lead it...Mertz does, but he is also a freshman and producing is a way different ball game than just having the talent. Coan is basically a guy who is sent out there and be average...that's what you hope for because with Taylor and their running game that will make the offense great.

Sure maybe Coan magically changed over the offseason...but unlikely.

What's somewhat being lost in the Mertz hype train is that Coan was also a very high rated recruit in the top 10-15 range of QBs. He was a 4 star as well. Basically before Mertz became our highest rated qb ever, Coan was our highest rated QB ever (he and Houston probably about same rankings wise). He's not a Stave/Horni type out of nowhere. Sure some true freshman have played and done well, but lots of other big name ones redshirted a year and then played.

While I wasn't impressed with Coan last year I would chalk some of it to game planning and play calling not letting him do anything. Basically he was being coached to just be a game manager. That said, my frustration also came in that after 1.5 years in the system he still couldn't be trusted to play freely and with an open playbook so I took that as a bad sign. That's on him and the coaches.

Don't take this as me saying Coan is awesome sor something, just saying he was also very highly rated and probably shouldn't rush to judgment on a guy after playing like 5 games total. In CFB, winning teams with conference title aspirations are playing to win the games right now. They're going to play who they feel is best. And don't forget the first game is against a competent team in a true road game. Not getting warmed up with Western Poly Tech at home. If Coan flounders in the first few games and vs Mich while Mertz continues to improve then maybe they'll flip it.

Mertz was awful the first two weeks of camp. And although he has looked better, both Coan and Wolf are clearly better players as of August '19. The UW football program has a long tradition of ignoring star rankings when a player gets to Madison. Best guy generally plays, doesn't matter if he was a 4-star guy or a walk on.

Based on what I've heard, chance are probably 80+% that Mertz is redshirted this season. UW might exploit the new redshirt rules and put him in there in a couple games in blowout situations, but anything beyond that seems pretty questionable at this time.

We'll see about Coan. Like everybody I have my doubts. But I also think he could be a lot better if Chryst tailor's the offense to some of Coan's strengths (like his mobility). Getting stuck in Hornibrook's offense was definitely not a good situation for Coan. I just hope the Badgers can go back to running a simple screen pass now that Hornibrook is gone.

Mertz was awful the first two weeks of camp. And although he has looked better, both Coan and Wolf are clearly better players as of August '19. The UW football program has a long tradition of ignoring star rankings when a player gets to Madison. Best guy generally plays, doesn't matter if he was a 4-star guy or a walk on.

Based on what I've heard, chance are probably 80+% that Mertz is redshirted this season. UW might exploit the new redshirt rules and put him in there in a couple games in blowout situations, but anything beyond that seems pretty questionable at this time.

We'll see about Coan. Like everybody I have my doubts. But I also think he could be a lot better if Chryst tailor's the offense to some of Coan's strengths (like his mobility). Getting stuck in Hornibrook's offense was definitely not a good situation for Coan. I just hope the Badgers can go back to running a simple screen pass now that Hornibrook is gone.

Good post. Yes if they redshirt him this year and Coan stays healthy so they don't burn it it would put a big gap in years between he and Coan. Wolf seems capable as a backup as well.

Good points on the offense too. One thing I've been seeing is a lot more mobility is being implemented than previously in order to play into all 3 of these guys abilities to do it. Along with your desire for simple screens, I found myself jonesing for the basic play action pass with a bit or rollout to hit the TE for an easy 10ish yards. You know, the staple of the passing game for 20 years that disappeared last year.

To my surprise Cephus has been reinstated. This should be a boost to the team both in talent and moral.

Not shocking at all. After he was found not guilty there was little basis for being expelled. If they would have kept it intact Cephus would have went after the university hard and it would have been an ugly situation for the university.

What wasn't fully clear is if he planned to actually go to Wisconsin and play football...or go elsewhere. We will see how that goes, but I would expect a return to the football team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am very confident he plays for UW
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To my surprise Cephus has been reinstated. This should be a boost to the team both in talent and moral.

Not shocking at all. After he was found not guilty there was little basis for being expelled. If they would have kept it intact Cephus would have went after the university hard and it would have been an ugly situation for the university.

What wasn't fully clear is if he planned to actually go to Wisconsin and play football...or go elsewhere. We will see how that goes, but I would expect a return to the football team.

The burden of proof at trial vs the Universities ethics code/board is drastically different(obviously, doubt I'm telling you anything you don't know). It was his lawyer's long comments on these matters that basically forced UW to allow him back into school IMO as they came so soon after his comments.

He appears to have a strong enough arm to play the position and IIRC, he ran for like 3,000 yards in HS? So he can complete 60 pct of his passes, limit the turnovers and pick up some yards with his feet, he should be a better QB than Hornibrook was last year for the Badgers.

Hornibrook's overall stats don't even look bad, it was just the ridiculous level of inconsistency from him that stymied this team. There were a couple of games vs top 10 teams that we were in the whole time, he could just not make anything happen(that 14-7 loss to Michigan for example).

I'm excited about this team this year. And obviously there's ample reason to be excited about them moving forward.

Archived