Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
I don't want Chryst fired....this was a game you have to win, though. Anyone could have accepted this next week. You can't lose to Illinois and really expect to be taken seriously on a national collegiate level.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was already looking like beating Ohio State was a pipe dream, but when you trip on a doormat along the way, it makes it seem like this program will never have that season we're all hoping for. I just completely lost all interest in watching any other college games. Free'd up a lot of time on Saturdays at least. Go Bucks, Go Pack!

One bad loss and your playoff chances are shot. That’s just the nature of how college football works. Especially for Wisconsin who does not have much room for error against the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc. What an awful, awful loss today.

The jet sweep was there all day, but only ran it twice, both times for big gains.

No hippo package at the goal line. Not going with what got you there is questionable.

Don't out-think yourself taking Taylor out in the 4th quarter. If nothing else, he's the best decoy in the game.

Missed a pretty obvious holding call on the big run at the end of the game. Sanborn was clearly held.

One bad loss and your playoff chances are shot. That’s just the nature of how college football works. Especially for Wisconsin who does not have much room for error against the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc. What an awful, awful loss today.

I mean I guess if you want a silver lining, if they were to beat OSU, run the table, beat OSU or PSU, they'd be the B10 Champion and have wins over Michigan, MSU, OSU, Minnesota, and either PSU or OSU again. That would have to get them some consideration, I would think.

It ain't gonna happen, but if you're looking for a Hail Mary, I guess they probably have to lose again to say they're done.

I actually think they may play better next week but lose by more.

If they lose, there's a solid chance they will lose by more, as they lost by 1 point today...

True....I guess what I mean is they will likely play better but lose by at least 2 scores.

OSU is that talented.

I think they have at least 2 more conference losses coming.

I will be very happy if they get to the title game no matter the outcome.

Community Moderator

It happens, Clemson should have lost to UNC and they will certainly be in the CFP.

If Wisconsin wins next week they are right back in the picture again. And they probably increased their chances of winning by losing today.

I wouldn't say today is a scary game, but I hope Bucky didn't spend all week practicing for Ohio State and not Illinois.

Ohio State is definitely faster than UW, but UW has excellent speed on defense and I would guess the Badgers coaches are more worried about Ohio State's offensive system than they are about the athletic aspect. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped the gun and didn't put the work in on Illinois that they should have.

This is the first conference road game and Illinois only has one big problem, their tackling is beyond horrible. They play decent enough offense and their special teams units are probably better than Wisconsin.

Bucky should win this game by 24+ points but IMO it has the potential to be a close game if Wisconsin haven't been focusing on Illinois this week.

Saw this posted before the game kicked off.

Kudos to Joseph for seeing & acknowledging the potential problem (looking ahead) before it became evident to all.

Yes, Illinois played over their heads and their D took some huge strides forward but the Badgers still had the opportunity to win this game & they failed in multiple places..

On another note - on GameDay this morning Bear was noting he heard the early line for Wisc at OSU being @ 13.5. At the time I was surprised by the number (thinking it high). Now, it seems much more accurate..

I wouldn't say today is a scary game, but I hope Bucky didn't spend all week practicing for Ohio State and not Illinois.

Ohio State is definitely faster than UW, but UW has excellent speed on defense and I would guess the Badgers coaches are more worried about Ohio State's offensive system than they are about the athletic aspect. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped the gun and didn't put the work in on Illinois that they should have.

This is the first conference road game and Illinois only has one big problem, their tackling is beyond horrible. They play decent enough offense and their special teams units are probably better than Wisconsin.

Bucky should win this game by 24+ points but IMO it has the potential to be a close game if Wisconsin haven't been focusing on Illinois this week.

It sure looks that way in this first half. They are lucky that touchdown they gave up was nullified by penalty. That was the second big play the defense gave up and the offense is making mistakes. Chryst should give them the business at halftime and they can turn it around in the second half.

I just can't picture Chryst giving his charges the business ever. He comes across as mild mannered. WI doesn't need the second coming of Vince Lombardi but it is no accident a team takes on the personality of its HC. Did WI look past Illinois? Perhaps. By the time they are done playing Ohio State next week they will be 2 games back from MN. :(

Is that the worst loss of all time for Wisconsin in regards to spread?

31 point favorites might be hard to beat.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is a big day with Chryst for me. To lose this game. He might not be the guy for this job. That take will get backlash and I don’t care. You don’t lose to lousy teams with as much talent as the Badgers have.

I have never been a Chryst fan. He always behaves like a bookkeeper and not a football coach.

It happens, Clemson should have lost to UNC and they will certainly be in the CFP.

If Wisconsin wins next week they are right back in the picture again. And they probably increased their chances of winning by losing today.

I've heard a lot of attempted spin on this loss today, including from myself, but this one stands alone. How exactly does losing to Illinois today increase our chances of winning in Ohio State next week?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Badgers run the table, including beating Ohio St twice, they'll be in the playoffs. If they don't, they won't. What this loss does is remove the margin of error of being able to lose to Ohio St once, which really sucks. You now have to beat Ohio St twice, which is probably a near impossibility.

I don't know if they came into the game today thinking they had a win already in the bag, or if they looked past Illinois, or if Illinois just played out of their minds or if Chryst needs to yell at his guys more. I know this. Watching Dabo Swinney chase down and scream at his kicker for 45 seconds for missing a field goal in a game Clemson was up 28-0 was just embarrassing.

Today sucked, make no mistake. That's a game that not only you shouldn't lose, you really can't lose. Badgers put themselves in a really bad position. Only they truly know why they played as poorly as they did. Even with all that, they had the ball and a 2 score lead with less than 10 minutes to go, and then proceeded to turn it over on the next two possessions. They played poorly, but with 10 minutes to go, this game was a W unless they simply gave it away, which they 100% did.

Lots of questions that they'll need to ask and answer of themselves in the next 7 days if they want to resurrect this once promising season.

How will the Badgers run the table? Look at all the big plays Illinois had today, especially when considering how many they lost due to dumb penalties (and penalties that did not impact what should have been a big gain). Ohio State should run them right off the field.

Badgers got a big break from the schedule makers getting all their early tough games at home. They are not a top 10 team and it's almost a joke to think of them as a playoff team. Illinois. No more needs to be said.

I said "is a near impossibilty".

If they run the table "which is a near impossibilty" they'll still be in the playoffs.

I dont expect them to. Mathematically, the possibility is still there.

Would be interesting to know the vegas line on them making the playoffs is now.

Wonder what the early line is for OSU? 14 to 17 OSU?

Saying "if we run the table we're in" is the same as a Gophers fan saying that right now ..well...yeah, sure, but we're not going to.

Our possible "in" to the CFP was a mulligan for next week by either getting lucky and drawing Penn State, or winning a close game vs OSU on a neutral field. We're not being OSU/PSU twice. OSU is on another level than us. We would have been fortunate to beat them once.

I can't wait for the Badgers to lose to either OSU or Penn St so that people can come back and tell me that I'm wrong about the thing I'm actually saying is "nearly impossible" to do.

sigh.....

It's not that you're wrong, I just don't think it's a very realistic goal anymore.

If they can end up still playing in a New Years 6 bowl, I'll be thrilled.

I think there's a pretty decent shot they don't even play for the B10 Championship much less win it. Losing in Minnesota certainly looks plausible.

I think there's a pretty decent shot they don't even play for the B10 Championship much less win it. Losing in Minnesota certainly looks plausible.

Can we all just agree that it would be to the benefit of the B10 to have 2 undefeated teams meet in Indy for the championship game??

That way - whichever team wins the B10 is assured of having someone in the 4 team playoff.. Its too easy for the committee to figure out a way to exclude a B10 champion that has a loss (any loss)..

Remove any playoff doubt...

Archived