Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
As far as the scenario you laid out, losing to OSU and then facing Penn State in the B10 Title game, I don't think that earns us a playoff spot over a 1 loss LSU, 'Bama or UGA team. So I think we've got to beat them in Columbus and then if we play PSU in the B10 Championship game, that's our shot to get into the playoffs.

One of Alabama/LSU won't even make their championship game, that will be an auto DQ if we assume there is another strong one loss team. Even if you assume the unlikely scenario Georgia (or Florida/Auburn I suppose) wins out and beats an undefeated Alabama/LSU team I really don't think there is any way they go with a conference champ loser over Wisconsin.

Wisconsin would have their one loss being Ohio State on the road. They then would have to beat an undefeated team in the Big Ten game. Either an undefeated Ohio State or Penn State. The Big Ten championship game is very likely to be a play in game to go to the college football playoff if Wisconsin were to make it with only a one loss blemish on their resume.

Wisconsin still has a long way to go though. They still have the Iowa game (not exactly easy) and the Minnesota game (on the road). To me the Ohio State game is meaningless as long as they don't get blown out. If they lose, gotta win out. If they win, still gotta win out. I don't like their odds being able to loss the championship game if they are undefeated.

Seems pretty clear to me:

1) Alabama/LSU/SEC Team

2) Oklahoma

3)Clemson

4) Big Ten Team

I don't think any other team is even in the running if we are being realistic.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The conference championship games are the de facto quarterfinals. It is almost certainly an elimination game for the playoff.

The only hope would be if a 2-loss OSU/PSU/Michigan beats an undefeated Wisconsin in the B10 championship along with some help from Clemson and Oklahoma. Otherwise they will just take the 1-loss team that beats Wisconsin.

If there is too much carnage then it just brings more teams into the picture such as Oregon and Norte Dame.

I agree with all of that, however I feel like that should also apply for every conference and it just hasn't with how the cfp has operated. I dont even care that bama won it all the year they didn't even play in their conference title game, they shouldn't have been in the cfp.

If you dont win your conference title, however it is determined, you shouldn't have the chance to win a national title in football unless multiple conferences have 2-3 loss teams winning their respective title games. Independent schools basically need to run the table to have a chance unless there is the same carnage, IMO.

There is also a ton of football to be played, and there hasn't even been the initial CFP rankings issued - a ton is going to happen in the next month that will scramble what looks like a pretty concrete group of contending teams at the moment.

Since that isnt how the cfp committee has operated, my case for a 1 loss WI non conference champ team making the cfp still has merit if the big 12 champ winds up being a 2 loss TX club, and the sec has an undefeated bama as its representative. ND wont have the resume WI will have should they run the table and lose a close game in the Big 10 title game.

I'd just add we should remember this isn't at all like 2017 with a cupcake schedule. UW (and for that matter OSU and PSU too) will have played a very strong schedule by the end of the year.

ETA: Plus so far UW is slaughtering their schedule. In 2017 that wasn't the case

Community Moderator
I'd just add we should remember this isn't at all like 2017 with a cupcake schedule. UW will have played a very strong schedule by the end of the year.

Exactly, and the B10 is undoubtedly the #2 conference. So it would be shocking to not see at least one Big Ten team in the playoff.

I wouldn't say today is a scary game, but I hope Bucky didn't spend all week practicing for Ohio State and not Illinois.

Ohio State is definitely faster than UW, but UW has excellent speed on defense and I would guess the Badgers coaches are more worried about Ohio State's offensive system than they are about the athletic aspect. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped the gun and didn't put the work in on Illinois that they should have.

This is the first conference road game and Illinois only has one big problem, their tackling is beyond horrible. They play decent enough offense and their special teams units are probably better than Wisconsin.

Bucky should win this game by 24+ points but IMO it has the potential to be a close game if Wisconsin haven't been focusing on Illinois this week.

I wouldn't say today is a scary game, but I hope Bucky didn't spend all week practicing for Ohio State and not Illinois.

Ohio State is definitely faster than UW, but UW has excellent speed on defense and I would guess the Badgers coaches are more worried about Ohio State's offensive system than they are about the athletic aspect. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped the gun and didn't put the work in on Illinois that they should have.

This is the first conference road game and Illinois only has one big problem, their tackling is beyond horrible. They play decent enough offense and their special teams units are probably better than Wisconsin.

Bucky should win this game by 24+ points but IMO it has the potential to be a close game if Wisconsin haven't been focusing on Illinois this week.

It sure looks that way in this first half. They are lucky that touchdown they gave up was nullified by penalty. That was the second big play the defense gave up and the offense is making mistakes. Chryst should give them the business at halftime and they can turn it around in the second half.

Offensive line is kind of getting its butt kicked

Yup and it hasn’t been great all year. Which for Wisconsin standards is super sad.

Wisconsin is called Offensive Line University and I just don't see it. Even in past years.

Most OL drafted since 2000

1. Wisconsin 20

2. Alabama 19

3. Ohio St 18

3. Notre Dame 18

The defense showing glimpses of giving up big plays. Not a good sign heading into a matchup with Ohio State who has killed us with big plays.

A little scary how easy OSU walked through a NW team we struggled with. Not all teams match up the same, but still, we’re probably double digit underdogs next week.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The defense showing glimpses of giving up big plays. Not a good sign heading into a matchup with Ohio State who has killed us with big plays.

A little scary how easy OSU walked through a NW team we struggled with. Not all teams match up the same, but still, we’re probably double digit underdogs next week.

And yet the Badgers beat MSU 38-0 and Ohio State "only" beat MSU 34-10.

:rolleyes

That doesn’t make me feel any better... like not even a little bit. Appreciate the effort though.

I sure hope we can rise to the occasion and give them a game, but not getting my hopes up.

:rolleyes

That doesn’t make me feel any better... like not even a little bit. Appreciate the effort though.

I sure hope we can rise to the occasion and give them a game, but not getting my hopes up.

I think the point is that how teams fared against common opponents usually means very little.

Regardless of how the Badgers fared against MSU, I hope they are getting this out of their system today. OSU will run them off their field if they bring this weak game next week.

Great teams play bad games now and then.

Georgia lost to South Carolina at home last week, and is still in the Playoff discussion.

I'd rather have the Badgers get their "Bad" game out of the way against Illinois, who they can play bad against and still win, than play bad against Ohio State.

Regardless of how the Badgers fared against MSU, I hope they are getting this out of their system today. OSU will run them off their field if they bring this weak game next week.

Great teams play bad games now and then.

Georgia lost to South Carolina at home last week, and is still in the Playoff discussion.

I'd rather have the Badgers get their "Bad" game out of the way against Illinois, who they can play bad against and still win, than play bad against Ohio State.

I'm not arguing that, but they're just not giving me much confidence today that they're going to be particularly competitive next week.

Archived