Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brief observations from this yesterday:

1)Obviously, a win is a win. But man, that was about as ugly a win as I hope we have this year.

2)This defense is back to the quality of defense of 2-3-4 years ago that was just amazing. If the offense looks more like it did the first three weeks rather than yesterday, this team will win more games than those teams did.

3)QB needs to play better, o-line needs to play better, coaching needs to be more creative. On the last point, this felt like a hangover of sorts from a big win. Felt like we thought we could put them to sleep and win without much substance to the game plan. Truth be told, it basically worked anyway. If not for the really, really unfortunate (but legit) penalty on Wildgoose during the early NW punt, that's probably a 10-0 or 14-0 game early, and maybe out of hand from there.

4)Kudos to NW for hanging with Wisconsin regardless. That game looked over at 24-3, and Wisconsin's special teams did everything they could to keep NW with hope, and they capitalized.

5)One final time for emphasis, Dunn is bad at returning punts. Put one of the other athletes back there like Shaw or AJ Taylor or anyone else, please.

6)Kent State comes at a good time to get a little healthier before a big one vs. MSU then a road game vs. Illinois. Win those three, and it sets up a monster game in Columbus. Can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring to this team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Zack Baun is moving up the draft charts every week.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I agree adam. The first 2 pt try was silly. The 2nd time made a lot more sense.

Yea my gut watching it live was to hate the attempt down 9. But after someone pointed some things out and thinking about it and reading a bit, that one seems fine. Basically a can go either way type of thing, it's logical to find out then and there if you need the ball back again or not. The mistake was the first attempt, thus kind of manufacturing a situation that you 'need' a 2 pt. Down 21 you should just kick the 1s the whole time and then if you happen to get to the choice at the end of it to decide on 1 to tie or 2 to win you can do whatever you want. Going the first time made no sense imo.

BTW: it cost me losing a bet on the teased over by .5 point.

also, I think I saw a tweet that said they only played 9 plays under center the whole game, maybe I misread and it was specific to "I formation", but generally that shouldn't be happening. I'm all for diversifying from the predictability but things should all start off the power run as the focal point, then take advantage of how the D has to gameplan for it.

Also hated the return of the conservative punting on your side of the 50 and even 40 yard line. PC had finally done some smarter and more aggressive 4th down decisions, today went back to this which was disappointing. I think they had 3 punts on the positive side of the 50 and at least one was at the 35ish and I think another was inside the 40. Predictably both were kicked through the end zone for under 20 yard punts.

ETA: Special teams in all areas have been a week point. Need to really focus on this and clean it up before OSU.

Watching Ohio State play this offense better find some magic in the next three weeks or they are going to get embarrassed. As much as I like this defense it probably isn't going to stop that offense from putting up lots of points. I would guess Wisconsin's best chance at winning that game is by long drives and trying to limit overall possessions in the game. I don't think there is much of a chance to a low scoring affair and I really doubt a shootout would end well for us. I hope they find some creativity because, like others, I thought it has really faded from the start of the season...that will probably help them trying to upset Ohio State.

BUT they have a big game against Michigan State they have to worry about first.

Yes, OSU looks like a juggernaut at this point and on a mission. Playing a game this week neutral field the only one I'd pick to beat them is Bama. As good as UW has looked I don't expect the OSU game to be close. As you said, even a strong D like ours is very unlikely to hold them under 20 and likely many more.

I know it's crazy to say, but somehow OSU is being overlooked/underrated nationally at this point. Clicked on a couple bowl projections today and they weren't in the playoffs. Like, who's beating them? I suppose PSU has a chance. I guess due to losing badly the last couple times in the playoff people are writing them off, but this looks way different than the last couple years. I suppose if/when they beat MSU by 35 on Saturday maybe it'll open some eyes or maybe it'll have to wait until after the UW game.

Yes, OSU looks like a juggernaut at this point and on a mission. Playing a game this week neutral field the only one I'd pick to beat them is Bama. As good as UW has looked I don't expect the OSU game to be close. As you said, even a strong D like ours is very unlikely to hold them under 20 and likely many more.

I know it's crazy to say, but somehow OSU is being overlooked/underrated nationally at this point. Clicked on a couple bowl projections today and they weren't in the playoffs. Like, who's beating them? I suppose PSU has a chance. I guess due to losing badly the last couple times in the playoff people are writing them off, but this looks way different than the last couple years. I suppose if/when they beat MSU by 35 on Saturday maybe it'll open some eyes or maybe it'll have to wait until after the UW game.

I get that, but their best opponent to date has been that grossly overhyped Cornhusker squad that barely beat South Alabama in Lincoln and squeaked by Illinois. OSU has played nobody that has resembled a major college program yet - let's see how good Ohio State looks this Saturday in a game they should also win easily (at home, good/not great MSU team with a quality defense yet suspect offense). If they make Sparty look like Nebraska this Saturday night after being able to refocus following a week of praise and hype being heaped upon them, then I agree OSU is in a class by itself not only in the Big Ten, but quite possibly across the nation with the exception of Alabama (or whoever may come out of the SEC unscathed). I'm expecting Ohio State to win saturday, but it will be one of those 24-19 type slugfests.

Yea for sure, that's logical. I would say that basically all top teams haven't played anyone yet though and no one besides Bama has looked like this. Except UGA playing ND of course. And some of it is admittedly just eye test of having watched them a lot this year and in past years. And this year they just seem different in how dominant they've been vs past OSU years, none of the stumbles and games tighter than they should be. Been straight tail kicking so far. Granted, it's only been 4 weeks and that closer than supposed to game could happen tomorrow. But, I have my money on OSU. You're right tomorrow is a big test to see how real it is. But, that's what everyone said last week too and look what happened. So if they crush MSU is it then gonna be that MSU isn't any good since they lost at home to ASU. And presumably if we beat MSU the following week and MSU is at like 4-3 then.

Yea for sure, that's logical. I would say that basically all top teams haven't played anyone yet though and no one besides Bama has looked like this. Except UGA playing ND of course. And some of it is admittedly just eye test of having watched them a lot this year and in past years. And this year they just seem different in how dominant they've been vs past OSU years, none of the stumbles and games tighter than they should be. Been straight tail kicking so far. Granted, it's only been 4 weeks and that closer than supposed to game could happen tomorrow. But, I have my money on OSU. You're right tomorrow is a big test to see how real it is. But, that's what everyone said last week too and look what happened. So if they crush MSU is it then gonna be that MSU isn't any good since they lost at home to ASU. And presumably if we beat MSU the following week and MSU is at like 4-3 then.

Overall agreed, but there are some highly ranked teams who have already played a solid schedule. Wisky does have that beatdown win against Michigan already on its resume that I wouldnt be surprised starts looking better as the season wears on. LSU won a shootout at Texas in week 2 and has looked dominant on offense. Auburn has wins already against Oregon and TX A&M. Clemson beat A&M, too. Alabama, OSU, and the Sooners haven't played anyone at all yet - the rest of the top 10 teams have at least one game against a quality opponent already in their win column.

And I wouldn't compare MSU to Nebraska at all right now - the Huskers got way too much helium mainly because they hired a coach who won a national title there as a player, and he's only in year 2. Frost took over a program that was a wasteland of talent compared to even the years when Pelini had them still winning 9-10 games a year but were still viewed as underachieving. I really don't know why many though Nebraska was going to take this huge leap - next year I see them getting back to being a consistent 8-9 win team and building beyond that, but this year they'll be lucky to win 7. I would be very, very impressed if OSU drubs Sparty in the horseshoe, much more than after watching them trounce the Huskers in Lincoln.

Zack Baun is moving up the draft charts every week.

Definitely. It'll be interesting to see what is combine numbers look like. He appears to be good enough in coverage that he could play LB'er in any system.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Their coach is only 33 years old???

I did wonder during the game if maybe Division I should be trimmed a good bit. Maybe make it like British soccer where if you do well in the Also-Ran league you get bumped up, and last place in the Ran league gets bumped down. You can give me gloves and call me a boxer, but if you pit me against Floyd Mayweather, it wouldn't be boxing. And this wasn't really football.

Their coach is only 33 years old???

I did wonder during the game if maybe Division I should be trimmed a good bit. Maybe make it like British soccer where if you do well in the Also-Ran league you get bumped up, and last place in the Ran league gets bumped down. You can give me gloves and call me a boxer, but if you pit me against Floyd Mayweather, it wouldn't be boxing. And this wasn't really football.

Even in conference play there are a few gimmes every year for the top teams, I don't have a problem with these buy games i just wish everyone would be required to have 2 home and away deals going non conference every season and only one buy game. If you alternate them you still have 2 of 3 games at home non conference. I don't care if it is BYU and South Florida instead of power 5 teams, everyone should go on the road non conference every year. Even if it has to be MAC teams.

Man OSU is loaded with talent.

It's almost not fair.

I agree. As long as certain colleges can pay their players more than less regarded colleges it will never be fair.

No, you need a Governing body to step in. Not the NCAA, but you can't just allow states to hurry up and pass this legislation. Ohio's pushing it through for 2020. You think OSU gets better recruits now? Wait until they're allowed to pay players.

This really could be the end of most college athletics save for a handful of programs. It may end up being an elite group of teams like Texas A$M, Texas, USC, 'Bama, NeBraska, basically the wealthiest schools.

You really think those teams aren't paying players now?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This opens up a bit of a lane for some really shady stuff, though. Doesn't 'pay for marketing purposes' automatically give a leg up to places like Oregon (Nike) and Maryland (Under Armor), where they can just have their large benefactors that run those athletic apparel companies sign guys to 'marketing' deals to lure them there? I agree with hiandtight, there needs to be serious oversight and regulation of this.

I mean yeah but major college athletics has become such a joke it should probably just call itself professional and let them make money.

You really think those teams aren't paying players now?

Oh, you're talking about under the table money?

Honestly, I don't think it's as big as some people are suggesting. I think it's more schools that have money, but aren't having much success. The Ole Miss types schools more than Alabama. And even then it's only the truly elite players and still, then the money is usually going to a shady uncle or something, not actually to the players. But yes, I think there is a lot of that happening in CFB. But that doesn't fundamentally change the game like openly paying players and basically taking away their amateur status does.

But that's a totally different topic. Paying guys under the table vs just opening it up for bidding? The Badgers will not be able to hang with Nebraska if you can start paying players.

The ONLY way this works if is you limit how much money you can get. They get a Football deal and then each individual conf. gets the same amount of money and then each player gets the same amount of money.

But even then, you'll be cutting those 120 man off-season rosters down to 75 man rosters and there are going to be so many unintended consequences.

This opens up a bit of a lane for some really shady stuff, though. Doesn't 'pay for marketing purposes' automatically give a leg up to places like Oregon (Nike) and Maryland (Under Armor), where they can just have their large benefactors that run those athletic apparel companies sign guys to 'marketing' deals to lure them there? I agree with hiandtight, there needs to be serious oversight and regulation of this.

Yes, one man basically turned Oregon into a mid-tier school to a legit title contender, Phil Knight.

But it goes even deeper than that. There's a lot of money behind schools like Arkansas and the like. I could see Jerry Jones starting a marketing company and throwing a few million at them every year or how about Texas and Texas A&M? Those are maybe the two wealthiest schools in College Athletics. At least since the Okie State guy stopped giving hundreds of millions to them. T. Boone Pickett or something like that? Sounds like a General from the Civil War type name.

But yeah, you're going to be left with scraps at a school like Wisconsin. And Wisconsin is NEVER going to allow the type of money to be spent on athletics that other schools do, even if you have boosters begging to pay.

Archived