Brewer Fanatic

Badgers Football 2019

nate82
Badgers ranked 16th in the preseason polls.

Ranked teams the Badgers will play.

Ohio State #3 (away)

Michigan #6 (away)

Iowa #18 (home)

Michigan State #22 (home)

Nebraska #20 (away)

Northwestern #24 (home)

I don't see the Badgers sweeping the ranked games. Best outcome would be 4-2.

I think the Badgers can beat Michigan but come up short against Iowa and Ohio State.

Small correction, Michigan is playing at Madison. I generally agree our best case in that scenario is 4-2 and that's even unlikely. But not sure I'd agree with you thinking we would beat Mich on the road but lose to Iowa at home (though you were thinking of the Mich game incorrectly). Remember the bloodbath Mich gave us last year?

If I was picking, I'd pick Michigan to win the Big Ten as they get OSU at home this year. UM has their QB back and OSU doesn't, new coaches at OSU and all that. If I was picking I'd say we lose to OSU, Mich. Then hope to get the rest but will lose at least 1 of them, with my pick being losing at Nebraska on the road. 3-3 in that stretch for a 9-3 season. But don't forget they play at MN this year and that's no longer a gimmie. I think the over/under is at 8 and it seems a correct line.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw that too. Honestly I'm not a fan. I love the aspect of playing home and home though, full credit to all parties for getting that done, especially Bama for coming up here. In 2024 we also play at Mich and at OSU, plus PSU. Then play OSU MSU in 2025. I think all these fans crying for years about tougher non conference will be singing a different tune in the near future as we start having more and more 8-4 years due to it.

First, I'd have preferred to play LSU. You at least have a chance then and LSU gameday is #1. But really I'd prefer the tier below that so you're playing a legit good non conf game but you actually could/should win based on home/away. Say your Ole Miss, Miss ST, Washington, SCAR types. Or, call me crazy, just play the VA Tech games you had scheduled. Legit good tough game but at least it's a fair level playing field. I know Saban will likely be retired by then so Bama could be much different, but I would expect them to keep that machine rolling after him just fine (poaching Smart or Dabo or someone similar). I'd just avoid the almost for sure L, schedule a good game but one that you could win.

I’m confused, we’ve already lost to Bama? Twice?!?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m confused, we’ve already lost to Bama? Twice?!?

Can be snarky if you want but as you know as I used the 'almost for sure' since of course anything can happen. But yes, at this point I'd say winning at Bama is roughly 5-10% chance and at UW IDK maybe 15ish% chance? Something like that. Schedule almost anyone else and you have a minimum of 40% chance in any game you play vs them. Really the only hope is Saban retires and Bama machine falls apart, obviously that could happen but it's only 6 years out, he might not even have retired by then (He's 67 and in great shape). But basically why poke the bear, just play the next level down where you are on even playing field. Especially in years when your conference schedules are already set as very difficult so you don't have to worry about the SOS Bs being held against them like in 2017. I saw the Bama game up close a few years ago, the size/speed/talent differential was absurd.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So much can change in 5 years. Alabama could be what Florida State is now by 2024. All it takes is Saban deciding to retire.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So much can change in 5 years. Alabama could be what Florida State is now by 2024. All it takes is Saban deciding to retire.

Yes, as I've said as well. But, you need Saban to retire plus you need it to fall apart (no guarantee on either front). Why not just play someone else where you don't have to worry about it. Really anyone besides Bama, OSU (conference so not relevant), and probably Clemson since their coach is so young and just wow with what they have built. Could maybe argue UGA too but don't want to put too much stock in recency bias. Go with anyone else and you don't have to worry about this issue.

Again, awesome to actually get a home and home done. Hopefully this starts happening all over CFB

Community Moderator

College football attendance is currently at a 22-year low. The number of empty seats at Camp Randall stadium has grown considerably in recent years. Fans cite poor opponents as a major reason for not attending games.

There will not be any empty seats at a Wisconsin-Bama game.

College football attendance is currently at a 22-year low. The number of empty seats at Camp Randall stadium has grown considerably in recent years. Fans cite poor opponents as a major reason for not attending games.

There will not be any empty seats at a Wisconsin-Bama game.

This times a billion.

Alabama sells out every game at home no matter who it is. WI sells out any bigger game as well but not crappy directional Michigans types, didn't need to be Bama. VA Tech would've sold out. This is all about the Marquee Matchup and publicity, that's it. Then the name recognition that comes with the lead up to the game. They'll try to use that in recruiting as a we play the best and all that.

OTB--great Alabama joke haha

I'll be there this evening to close on the house. Heading there for work, family, and cost of living. Ran my course in Maryland, time to get closer to family.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Community Moderator
Alabama sells out every game at home no matter who it is. WI sells out any bigger game as well but not crappy directional Michigans types, didn't need to be Bama. VA Tech would've sold out. This is all about the Marquee Matchup and publicity, that's it. Then the name recognition that comes with the lead up to the game. They'll try to use that in recruiting as a we play the best and all that.

I generally agree. It does seem like Wisconsin has more to gain here.

I'm so thankful the neutral site thing is starting to fall out of favor...there's nothing better than a college town on the day of a big game. And yes--the idea is clearly to get College Gameday and be the game of the week.

Alabama has taken some criticism for not playing road games in Big Ten country so I wonder if that factor is in play here as well. Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt from the polls/committee so a September loss in a tough road environment would not hurt their playoff chances at all. And I'm sure their fans will find a way to occupy at least a quarter of the seats at Camp Randall.

With the extra round of playoffs and Bama being in the playoffs every year (plus a neutral site marquee non conf game) I think they've realized they've tapped out their fan base a bit in regards to travel expenses. I know the UW/Bama game in Dallas wasn't really close to a sellout and I recall last year's national title game had poor demand on tickets and things being sold below face value.

And I'm sure their fans will find a way to occupy at least a quarter of the seats at Camp Randall.

Based on my experience in Dallas, they're real easy to spot. The women all have mini pom-poms and the men all look like Eli Manning, complete with flop haircuts (or conservative parts).

And I'm sure their fans will find a way to occupy at least a quarter of the seats at Camp Randall.

Based on my experience in Dallas, they're real easy to spot. The women all have mini pom-poms and the men all look like Eli Manning, complete with flop haircuts (or conservative parts).

I really like the younger women wearing football jerseys as short skirts though...solid look that should catch on everywhere

I generally agree. It does seem like Wisconsin has more to gain here.

I'm so thankful the neutral site thing is starting to fall out of favor...there's nothing better than a college town on the day of a big game. And yes--the idea is clearly to get College Gameday and be the game of the week.

Alabama has taken some criticism for not playing road games in Big Ten country so I wonder if that factor is in play here as well. Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt from the polls/committee so a September loss in a tough road environment would not hurt their playoff chances at all. And I'm sure their fans will find a way to occupy at least a quarter of the seats at Camp Randall.

If only the game could be played in November or December. Then the odds go up some.

Hey, so changing the subject....what is the best way to get tickets for the home opener? I can't handle the fees that Stub Hub and Seat Geek add, is there another place I can check where people post their tickets without fees?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm a local and season ticket holder. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but being around enough I can make a somewhat informed opinion. I'd say your best bet would be to simply buy on the street before the game. It eliminates the fees and the home opener is not a good opponent so you'll get them very cheap. I'd guess you could get fairly decent seats in the $30-40 range and in the door for like $15.

Note: Just saw your Tom Petty signature thing too. Huge fan here as well, probably #1 for me and not too often a day goes without listening to some.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I thought about the other thread a bit and unlocked it. Keep it about Cephus, please. Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Paul Chryst issued a statement saying that Cephus would be "welcomed back to the team." He first has to be re-admitted to the University and then apparently he'd be eligible to play.

I'm not going to even start to discuss anything else about the situation but to reiterate, if I were him, I think I'd probably want a fresh start somewhere if a Football career is my top priority.

It'd just feel awkward to come back to a school that kicked me out and the lingering questions. Of course my best friends today are guys I met with and former teammates of mine in college.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Related question, if Cephus HADN'T applied at UW, and instead applied at say Northern Illinois, I'm assuming he'd have to sit out a year per the transfer rules, right? He missed a year of FB already... I'd think coming back to UW where he'd hypothetically be able to play right away again (which I assume would be the case) might be the most logical reason for why he'd stay here regardless.

Related question, if Cephus HADN'T applied at UW, and instead applied at say Northern Illinois, I'm assuming he'd have to sit out a year per the transfer rules, right? He missed a year of FB already... I'd think coming back to UW where he'd hypothetically be able to play right away again (which I assume would be the case) might be the most logical reason for why he'd stay here regardless.

From what I read he can transfer and play right away. I am not exactly sure why and I also read he still has two years of eligibility.

Also from a pure football standpoint I think Wisconsin would actually be the most logical. He likely has a ton of friends on the football team and I would guess a lot would welcome him back with a ton of support. Likely the best team he will get on and they have one heck of a QB prospect to end his last two years. Mind you he knows the offense and would arguably the top guy.

From a non football standpoint I think it is overblown. He was found not guilty and that campus is massive. It isn't like a small town where you should probably move out because you can't avoid the problem (the accuser girls for instance). Regardless of where he goes he is probably wise to not partake in alcoholic events and get with random girls. So I don't see how a new school really helps him.

It is hard to say if he wants to stay at Wisconsin or not. He will get readmitted so they clean up his record etc...but he can just dart after that if he wants. From what I have seen nothing has really been said in that aspect. I have seen misleading headlines saying he "wants to come back", but that is reporting he is seeking readmission. Which, as we know, he has to do to go anywhere else anyway.

Archived