Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline (July 31) Questions

rickh150

Will waivers still be going on in August? I know that trades are over come Aug. 1, but can teams still take over another team's player/contract?

Also, when is the deadline for playoff rosters? Before this year, a team could pick up a player in September, but he could not be on the playoff roster. Has this changed?

From my understanding....

If a team wants to waive a player following the trade deadline, they still can. If another team wants to claim that player (& their contract), they still can, but its just a straight claim with no compensation in return.

I believe the revocable waivers aspect is no longer in play, however, so once a guy is waived, that's that, no pulling him back.

Playoff deadline is still August 31.

For the powers that be wanting to make baseball more entertaining and more interesting for the fans, having one hard deadline and having the deadline so early seems odd to me. I really think they should have moved the deadline back two weeks to August 15 (maybe even the end of August) when going to this single, strict deadline. Granted, big moves didn't happen often in August but the chance that something could happen kept the armchair GMs interested. August is going to be a really, really long month now.

It is unfortunate that there is now a strict trade deadline. I always found it interesting that guys could be traded all season long and would even see the occasional trade the last week of the season to make a start or two. Even worse if there isn't revocable waivers, at least then you could still see the occasional high priced veteran moving on to a different team. Gonzalez was a pretty nice addition last year, even Granderson.

What I'm not real clear on is if non 40 man roster trades can be made. If there is an injury could somebody try to acquire a guy like Cory Spangenberg in August since he isn't on the 40 man?

What I'm not real clear on is if non 40 man roster trades can be made. If there is an injury could somebody try to acquire a guy like Cory Spangenberg in August since he isn't on the 40 man?

Pretty sure that the rules only apply to players on the 40 man roster, so anyone else can still be dealt without restriction post deadline & be postseason eligible as long as they are on the MLB team by August 31.

This summary from the MLBTR primer on the new deadline rules makes for a good too long did not read version...

Between the trade deadline and end of the World Series, MLB players cannot be traded but may be claimed off waivers just like the rest of the year. Players on minor-league contracts can be traded as normal, but MLB contracts that have passed through outright waivers cannot be swapped. The commissioner is empowered to strike down any creative attempts to bypass the rules.

For the powers that be wanting to make baseball more entertaining and more interesting for the fans, having one hard deadline and having the deadline so early seems odd to me. I really think they should have moved the deadline back two weeks to August 15 (maybe even the end of August) when going to this single, strict deadline. Granted, big moves didn't happen often in August but the chance that something could happen kept the armchair GMs interested. August is going to be a really, really long month now.

I completely disagree. I like the idea of more teams trying to win the last few months...make the buy/sell decision a bit more difficult. Otherwise, you probably end up with 7-8 teams in each league(or 5 as was the case in the AL) actually trying to win...while the other 7-8 teams traded all their producing vets and are rolling young guys that will likely lose a lot. Basically half the teams aren't even trying to win. I think it's overall a lot more fun and better for baseball to have more teams trying to win and trying to get in the playoffs.

As a Brewers fan, I like the July 31st hard deadline. Moving the deadline back would allow teams that have under performed their talent additional time to creep back in the race.

For example based on Pythagorean:

Arizona 44-36 (actual record 40-40)

Cincy 43-33 (actual 36- 40)

I'd rather the D'Backs trade off Holland, etc and the Reds, Roark, Gennett and Puig then actually have them compete against Milwaukee for deadline talent.

Wouldn't Ryan Braun to the Dodgers have been a August move? I thought he was placed on revocable waivers and Puig had passed through(or more likely the other way around).

I agree, it just made the game more fun. And guys get hurt. Let teams pick up another piece if the need in a slightly more difficult manner(and on a 48 hour time limit).

This makes little sense to me.

I like the earlier deadline. There is plenty of time for teams to figure out where they think they stand, then they need to make choices and strategize. The longer things go in terms of trades I actually find it unappealing to over encourage selling off. Watching a bunch of trades at the end of August where suddenly everyone stocks up their bullpens cheap because 20 teams are out of it and no one wants to give relievers long terms contracts.

I like the earlier deadline. There is plenty of time for teams to figure out where they think they stand, then they need to make choices and strategize. The longer things go in terms of trades I actually find it unappealing to over encourage selling off. Watching a bunch of trades at the end of August where suddenly everyone stocks up their bullpens cheap because 20 teams are out of it and no one wants to give relievers long terms contracts.

Agreed.... Let the players, especially the relievers, that helped get the team be playoff caliber have similar roles down the stretch without ringers taking over same roles. I liked getting reinforcements last year (Granderson, etc.), but these guys didn't play enough with the team to warrant key roles. Let team depth in the minors dictate who pitches/plays late in the season and not big money/trades.

Archived