Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

Just can't see anyway they can sell as long as they don't get swept here. A shrewd Moose trade to the AL due to having Shaw as a replacement I could see but I can't see them punting while 3 games out.

Also, that Pads trade is ridiculous. Honestly, you should probably trade Hader straight up for Tatis if offered just out of everyday SS is more valuable than a reliever and he is/was a 'mega prospect' type who's performing immediately. He's the type you get and try to immediately lock him up to buy out a couple years of arby. Let alone if they add in a current proven starter and two other prospects then it's not even close.

Yeah no way are the Padres trading Tatis. Everyone has a value of course, but there's just no way they'd trade him unless they are getting like 5 Josh Haders.

I know it makes some logical sense to trade Moose with the excess corner infield, that would just rub me the wrong way though if the guy seriously took less to sign here. There's no way we'll definitively know if that's true...it just seems wrong to send away someone like Moose while still trying to contend.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No one is claiming the Padres will trade Tatis. Someone made what they thought was a ridiculous list of guys that it would take to trade off Yelich or Hader and someone else said they wouldn't do the trade.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Unless they trade for like 5 pitchers, they have about a 1% chance of winning the world series. The shrewd move would be to acquire as much young, controllable talent as possible at the deadline. Who knows, maybe some of the young guys we acquire play well and the team still makes a run at the division, you just never know.

Unless they trade for like 5 pitchers, they have about a 1% chance of winning the world series. The shrewd move would be to acquire as much young, controllable talent as possible at the deadline. Who knows, maybe some of the young guys we acquire play well and the team still makes a run at the division, you just never know.

This is what I don't get. If they sold, who do the Brewers have that (and this is the key point) they are realistically willing to trade and is going to net them "young, controllable talent"?

Last year they acquired Moustakas for Brett Phillips and Jorge Lopez. The Royals thought so highly of Phillips after they acquired him they went out and signed Billy Hamilton (!!) as a free agent. Moreover, the Royals have used six different players in the outfield this year on their way to 90+ losses, none of whom are the 26 year old Phillips. Jorge Lopez has actually pitched for the Royals this year to the tune of a 5.19 FIP, 1.52 WHIP, 6.37 ERA and -1.0 WAR. He will be 27 years old by opening day next year. Now, if those players were the "young, controllable, talent" the Brewers gave up to get Moustakas, what do you think they're likely to get back one year later with Moustakas earning even more in salary .

Kind of the same deal with Grandal. If the play offs started today here would be the starting catchers on the play off teams: Brian McCann (.794 OPS), Kurt Suzuki (.789)/Yan Gomes (.617), Molina (.654), Contreras (.941), Russel Martin (.634)/ Will Smith (.999), Gary Sanchez (.807), Mitch Garver (1.032)/Castro (.851), Chirinos (.797), Roberto Perez (.789). Josh Phegley (.713).

The Brewers don't have a history of including significant cash in trades and doubt they would do so now in order to move Grandal. Therefore two teams that could most use an upgrade at catcher, Oakland and Cleveland, are likely out due to finances. The Cubs, Cardinals, Yankees, Twins have no need for Grandal. That leaves the Dodgers and the Nationals. Will Smith (the catcher) is the future in Los Angeles and they ain't exactly struggling despite the catching situation, so any interest they may have would most likely be described as "tepid". That pretty much leaves the Nationals as the last team standing. If there isn't another team after Grandal, why would the Nationals give away significant "young controllable talent" and take on 6.5 million dollars in salary to get him?

They likely can't trade Jhoulys Chacin now that he's on the DL with an oblique. Albers could be traded, but again, the likely return on Albers would require a pretty liberal definition of "young, controllable talent".

With no minor league players about to knock down the door to the major leagues you could say the remaining players on the 25 man roster are most valuable playing in Milwaukee, not being shipped elsewhere. Even with the team this year, I'm sure the front office isn't ready to turn the page and break up the core of the team that won 96 games just last season.

Yup I went through that with catchers the other day. It was funny the only team needing one is LAD where he left, but they are going to cruise into the playoffs and don't need it. Yankees C on the DL but it's not serious, they're running away into the playoffs so don't need anyone. Also, you'll probably be surprised if you look up the Indians catcher's stats, he's actually doing really well. So I've kind of written Grandal off as a trade candidate.

For Moose, you're correct that you're not getting a big time prospect haul. But, I do think he has upped his value this year. First, he proved he can adequately play 2B so that opens up many more options. Second, he's frankly just playing and hitting better. His approach to hit oppo is better. Less of the HR or Popout outcome only. Still,you're not getting a haul but you might get a few guys back who at least have a chance to make the bigs. So maybe for us or we could flip them elsewhere for relief help or trade next year for help at the deadline if needed. My guess is though they view him as such a good guy that they would like to resign again for next year so I don't think they'll do him like that, though it probably is the technical correct shrewd move.

After that, we don't really have much to sell off that we'd be willing to give.

Did I really read that someone would turn down Tatis, Paddock, Gore and Mejia for Hader.

Wow...that might be the dumbest take I have read on this board

Yes..I said that..go ahead and think its dumb all you want..Im just not selling ANY major contributor to the major league club until Yelich's control is up..just my philosophy..im doing whatever I can to capitalize on that window now..Hader is a big part of that..heck im trying to resign Moose and Grandal as well and make a HUGE offer to Geritt Cole or another top FA pitcher.

And besides..how much have those players helped the Padres this year? What's their record again?

Do you just inherently say no when it comes to trading away ANY Brewer without even looking at who we're talking about?

You're just dismissing the idea of acquiring a guy pitching like an ACE right now, a really good looking young catcher and THEE top left handed hitting prospect in all of baseball.

That alone would be more than Hader is worth. But now you throw in Tatis???? It just becomes absolutely comical. That guy is the EXACT type of talent you dream of. No reliever in the game is worth more than a 20 year old phenom who's not a "prospect," because I know that's a dirty word to you, but one of the best players in the league already.

A more realistic hypothetical discussion would be if the Pads would trade that package for Hader AND Yelich, not either or.

Just....take a breath and go look at the players you're saying "aren't helping," the Padres.

20 year old SS with a .323/.384/.583 slash, 16 HR's, 14 stolen bases. The type of player you build a franchise around.

23 year old starting pitcher with a .85 Whip in 17 STARTS, 2.84 ERA, 99 K's in 95 Innings pitched.

The later would probably see his numbers slip with the Brewers, but there's quite a bit of room there for them to slip and still be pretty damn good. The prior is the type of guy you offer a 8/80 type deal to before they play a game.

What DO you want from the Brewers? You talk about other people's mental health if the Brewers end up buying, but if this is what you're NOT willing to do and you're expecting more from the Brewers....man, you're not gonna be happy with the Brewers...ever.

Just can't see anyway they can sell as long as they don't get swept here. A shrewd Moose trade to the AL due to having Shaw as a replacement I could see but I can't see them punting while 3 games out.

Also, that Pads trade is ridiculous. Honestly, you should probably trade Hader straight up for Tatis if offered just out of everyday SS is more valuable than a reliever and he is/was a 'mega prospect' type who's performing immediately. He's the type you get and try to immediately lock him up to buy out a couple years of arby. Let alone if they add in a current proven starter and two other prospects then it's not even close.

I know that was just kinda a throw away line there, but if you were really offered Hader for Tatis, you'd jump on it. What would make for interesting debate, would you do the same for Yelich?

And actually, Hader for Gore would be an interesting debate as well. I wouldn't do Hader for Paddack, but he's a really good looking young starting pitcher who's already pitching very well. So...there may be 3 individual players in that deal who are more valuable than Hader. And a 4th in Mejia who was/is an elite catching prospect.

Did I really read that someone would turn down Tatis, Paddock, Gore and Mejia for Hader.

Wow...that might be the dumbest take I have read on this board

Yes..I said that..go ahead and think its dumb all you want..Im just not selling ANY major contributor to the major league club until Yelich's control is up..just my philosophy..im doing whatever I can to capitalize on that window now..Hader is a big part of that..heck im trying to resign Moose and Grandal as well and make a HUGE offer to Geritt Cole or another top FA pitcher.

And besides..how much have those players helped the Padres this year? What's their record again?

Do you just inherently say no when it comes to trading away ANY Brewer without even looking at who we're talking about?

You're just dismissing the idea of acquiring a guy pitching like an ACE right now, a really good looking young catcher and THEE top left handed hitting prospect in all of baseball.

That alone would be more than Hader is worth. But now you throw in Tatis???? It just becomes absolutely comical. That guy is the EXACT type of talent you dream of. No reliever in the game is worth more than a 20 year old phenom who's not a "prospect," because I know that's a dirty word to you, but one of the best players in the league already.

A more realistic hypothetical discussion would be if the Pads would trade that package for Hader AND Yelich, not either or.

Just....take a breath and go look at the players you're saying "aren't helping," the Padres.

20 year old SS with a .323/.384/.583 slash, 16 HR's, 14 stolen bases. The type of player you build a franchise around.

23 year old starting pitcher with a .85 Whip in 17 STARTS, 2.84 ERA, 99 K's in 95 Innings pitched.

The later would probably see his numbers slip with the Brewers, but there's quite a bit of room there for them to slip and still be pretty damn good. The prior is the type of guy you offer a 8/80 type deal to before they play a game.

What DO you want from the Brewers? You talk about other people's mental health if the Brewers end up buying, but if this is what you're NOT willing to do and you're expecting more from the Brewers....man, you're not gonna be happy with the Brewers...ever.

I want them to be buyers WITHOUT touching any of the key pieces from THIS years team. Peralta, Burnes, Nelson, Arcia, Thames, Aguilar, any of them can go, but not the key pieces.

I want them to be buyers WITHOUT touching any of the key pieces from THIS years team. Peralta, Burnes, Nelson, Arcia, Thames, Aguilar, any of them can go, but not the key pieces.

But you HAVE TO realize, you're saying that you're ok trading off people that have either little value or whose value is massively depressed (Burnes). You're not getting significant pieces for our crap.

But you HAVE TO realize, you're saying that you're ok trading off people that have either little value or whose value is massively depressed (Burnes). You're not getting significant pieces for our crap.

But YOU have to realize, you just don't know how another GM might value those pieces. No one does. Maybe someone loves Freddy and Burnes, and that brings back more than anyone thinks it can. Or maybe, some GM's would prefer a package of major league ready players with some upside(which all of them cept Pina and maybe Thames have), rather than taking back prospects. Maybe Arcia is highly regarded by certain GM's. None of us know any of that. Some GM's may prefer quantity over quality. They all have value, but none of us know how much. Look how cheap Diekman went.

But YOU have to realize, you just don't know how another GM might value those pieces. No one does. Maybe someone loves Freddy and Burnes, and that brings back more than anyone thinks it can. Or maybe, some GM's would prefer a package of major league ready players with some upside(which all of them cept Pina and maybe Thames have), rather than taking back prospects. Maybe Arcia is highly regarded by certain GM's. None of us know any of that. Some GM's may prefer quantity over quality. They all have value, but none of us know how much. Look how cheap Diekman went.

So you don’t know how other GM’s will value our players but will complain and criticize every non-move made? Got it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And I'm 100% certain if they do end up making a deal of some significance, you will be leading the "they way overpaid" parade and saying they should have "sold".

Just like your thoughts on who we could get for our prospects, you’ve swung and missed, again. Man, you have had a terrible week around here. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And I'm 100% certain if they do end up making a deal of some significance, you will be leading the "they way overpaid" parade and saying they should have "sold".

Just like your thoughts on who we could get for our prospects, you’ve swung and missed, again. Man, you have had a terrible week around here. :laughing

Do you have intimate knowledge of WHO they can or can't get for their prospects?? Yeah that's what i thought. You don't. Now I really want to see them make a big move so I can watch you squirm and go off and pout about how they didn't sell Grandal and Moose. I've had a fine week here, thanks.

Do you have intimate knowledge of WHO they can or can't get for their prospects?? Yeah that's what i thought. You don't. Now I really want to see them make a big move so I can watch you squirm and go off and pout about how they didn't sell Grandal and Moose. I've had a fine week here, thanks.

Guy, you’re stuck on repeat and for some reason think I’ll be upset come August 1st if Grandal and Moose are still with us. Spoiler... I won’t. I think it could’ve been a smart play for them moving forward but it’s more than likely not going to happen. Instead we will trade for a so-so player or two and hope we can stay in the mix. But yeah, maybe we will get Thor for our junk prospects. :laughing

Your lust over the prospect of the Brewers acquiring a big "name" starter has gotten weird. I feel like you care more about a name and reputation than actual results.

There is some truth to this, but there's a limit to it. Yes, GMs will have differing opinions on some guys, but common sense comes into play, too. Obviously, you know there's no GM out there who is going to give up a big return for Aaron Wilkerson, for instance. His numbers are solid. There's just some common sense to apply there.

The other element here is that the guys you've been wanting are the big fish, and many teams want the big fish. Competition is tough against teams with top farms. Yes, it's true a team may still value Burnes. But if we're offering him and the Dodgers come offering Gavin Lux, for example, we're not going to win that bid. If offered the choice between a top prospect and a young reclamation project, again, it's just common sense.

I wonder what Chase would fetch at the deadline?

I think this thread can officially be closed now after the last two nights. or the thread title changed to something like..."Buying, who will the Brewers be pursuing"??

The Brewers could win easy tomorrow, and take every game up to the deadline, and there would still be members here who want to sell. And that's fine. (No, I'm not one of them)

It sounds like the Mets want to package Wheeler and Diaz and I would love to go that route. I wouldn't be willing to deal Hiura of course, but I'd be willing to put Arcia, Turang, or even Burnes on the table.

It sounds like the Mets want to package Wheeler and Diaz and I would love to go that route. I wouldn't be willing to deal Hiura of course, but I'd be willing to put Arcia, Turang, or even Burnes on the table.

Not being condescending at all, but you'd really give up 2 of those 3 or all three for a rental in Wheeler and a schizophrenic bullpen arm?? I would rather put that on the table for Robbie Ray to be honest. Idk, I know Arcia sucks, and Burnes has been bad this year, but he is young, has a power arm and tons of control left. I'm all for trading Arcia and Burnes and Turang, I'd just like to think a package like that could bring back more than this.

I think this thread can officially be closed now after the last two nights. or the thread title changed to something like..."Buying, who will the Brewers be pursuing"??

The Brewers could win easy tomorrow, and take every game up to the deadline, and there would still be members here who want to sell. And that's fine. (No, I'm not one of them)

No matter what, this guy will be disappointed. The talks of possibly moving our 1-year players was just too much for him. :laughing

Not being condescending at all, but you'd really give up 2 of those 3 or all three for a rental in Wheeler and a schizophrenic bullpen arm?? I would rather put that on the table for Robbie Ray to be honest. Idk, I know Arcia sucks, and Burnes has been bad this year, but he is young, has a power arm and tons of control left. I'm all for trading Arcia and Burnes and Turang, I'd just like to think a package like that could bring back more than this.

Are you like two different people? Holy hell are you strange. One minute it’s sell anyone and everything for a player and then next you’re questioning another poster who is talking about moving guys to get something of value.

Archived