Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

If you trade Moose, you just play Shaw. It’s not going to be much of a drop off.

And a team taking on Grandal would pay him about $6M.

Moustakas is their second best hitter and an All Star. Shaw hit under .175 for the first three months of the season before being optioned to the minors, but yeah interchangeable....

9 million, 6 million it still meaningless because no contender on the surface are in that dire of a need for a catcher, and taking on a rental player who is the 4th highest paid catcher kind of smells like the return would be minimal

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't know how they can buy big without giving up Hiura and I would be shocked if they did that. In other words, I don't think they'll go big. If they buy it will be some spare parts (e.g. reliever, low end starter, utility dude)

Agreed with this. If they're going big, it's Hiura...and I don't see that.

Probably a pen arm or two, maybe a middle of the rotation arm or rental shortstop.

If you trade Moose, you just play Shaw. It’s not going to be much of a drop off.

Moustakas is their second best hitter and an All Star. Shaw hit under .175 for the first three months of the season before being optioned to the minors, but yeah interchangeable....

9 million, 6 million it still meaningless because no contender on the surface are in that dire of a need for a catcher, and taking on a rental player who is the 4th highest paid catcher kind of smells like the return would be minimal

Moustakas put together a very nice first half. I would bet a regression to his career averages is near. I would also bet on Shaw rebounding to be more of the player he has been too. Like I said, I don’t believe the drop off would be that severe that you don’t take a look at offers.

In regards to Grandal, there are plenty of contenders that he would be an upgrade for. Now, moving catchers is different but I’m sure if made available, they could find a fit. $6 mil isn’t much, even if they Brewers kicked in a couple.

Now, do I think it’ll happen? No. Because they won’t want to anger fans after telling them they’re “going for it”. But most fans are pretty clueless in regards to the situation the Brewers are in.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Did I really read that someone would turn down Tatis, Paddock, Gore and Mejia for Hader.

Wow...that might be the dumbest take I have read on this board

Yes..I said that..go ahead and think its dumb all you want..Im just not selling ANY major contributor to the major league club until Yelich's control is up..just my philosophy..im doing whatever I can to capitalize on that window now..Hader is a big part of that..heck im trying to resign Moose and Grandal as well and make a HUGE offer to Geritt Cole or another top FA pitcher.

And besides..how much have those players helped the Padres this year? What's their record again?

Did I really read that someone would turn down Tatis, Paddock, Gore and Mejia for Hader.

Yes..I said that..go ahead and think its dumb all you want..Im just not selling ANY major contributor to the major league club until Yelich's control is up..just my philosophy..im doing whatever I can to capitalize on that window now..Hader is a big part of that..heck im trying to resign Moose and Grandal as well and make a HUGE offer to Geritt Cole or another top FA pitcher.

And besides..how much have those players helped the Padres this year? What's their record again?

Tatis? He has helped the Padres an awful lot. He has a .992 OPS and is extremely good and would be a ridiculous upgrade at shortstop.

Paddack is an ace like ...now. He has also helped the Padres a lot.

These guys have 12 years control remaining between the two before you even look at the 'prospects'.

I mean...I can't with this. Any GM who did not trade Hader for these four would be immediately fired for gross negligence.

I'm literally going to be worried about you and your mental health if they end up buying..especially buying big.

:laughing You’re becoming the next joke around here and you don’t even realize it. If they buy, they buy.. but I don’t think it’s the smart play. Honestly, the way your cry on these message boards, we should probably check in with you in August 1st and we haven’t Hiura traded for [sarcasm]elite[/sarcasm] pitching.

You don't understand..i don't want them to trade Hiura at all..but I also want them to have an elite arm(s)

The Brewers have NEVER produced a truly elite arm..but they have produced elite hitters..the only way the Brewers will EVER have elite pitching is to either A. Buy it in free agency(my preference) or B. Trade for it. If that means sacrificing Hiura for it..so be it I guess..but id rather they find another way to acquire it..I'm just so tired of seeing guys like Doug Davis, Jeff Suppan and Zach Davies toeing the rubber for the Crew and guys like that who should be #4 or #5 starters have been the Brewers #1 or #2 in a lot of cases. Enough Already! Get at least two guys that are lights out and let's go..they'll find hitting.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Like 4.5 games behind the Brewers?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Im just not selling ANY major contributor to the major league club until Yelich's control is up.

You'd be selling one major contributor and getting two in return and two elite prospects on top of that. Not that the Padres would ever trade those 4 for a reliever. Preller isn't dumb.

Their record is only 5 games worse than ours and we were going for it this year while they weren't, so [sarcasm]good point.[/sarcasm]

The bold part, why give a dumb fantasy trade idea from a team clearly not buying a Hader for 4 up and comers? It's an easy no because SD isn't remotely looking to add.

Baseball America released their mid-season top 100 prospects and the Brewers are the only team in baseball without a player on it.

Our farm system has no real blue chip prospects (assuming Huira is untouchable now) with which to make a major trade.

Our farm system could sure use some restocking of sorts.

Baseball America released their mid-season top 100 prospects and the Brewers are the only team in baseball without a player on it.

Our farm system has no real blue chip prospects (assuming Huira is untouchable now) with which to make a major trade.

Our farm system could sure use some restocking of sorts.

These kinds of things do go in ebbs and flows a bit when you're coming out of a rebuild. In 2016 following the Lucroy trade we had one of the better systems and used the top of it in the Yelich deal. We do have a weak system, but the last wave of higher end prospects in our pipeline produced the Yelich trade (Brinson, Diaz, Harrison, Yamamoto), and Keston Hiura, two elite bats in our MLB lineup right now. (Yelich is already elite, Hiura you could argue is on his way there).

I think you make that trade every time. I can't imagine what our lineup would look like now without those two.

A lot of our regression, I think, is guys like Lutz, Brown, and Erceg not taking the next step like we had hoped so far.

Grisham, however, has taken that step, and I think he's still criminally underrated. If you were to ask someone, without knowing who they were, where they would rank a top 15 pick from 2015, a high school draftee who is now a 22 year out outfielder carving up AAA with an OPS over 1.100 in the PCL and .950 overall in 2019 between the PCL and Southern League, with 23 HR in 353 ABs, I think they would almost unanimously have the guy in their top 50 prospects. Yet Grisham still gets very little recognition.

There's other guys with upside, but as we see with many of our young guys, it's not always a sure thing. Still, to me, Grisham and Turang are our blue chip prospects and IMO Grisham at the very least should be a top 100 guy. If the national sports media doesn't recognize him as such, that's fine. I guess I have a different definition of a blue chip prospect than you because to me, no one is untouchable.

I'll make this very simple for you

Tatis = 3.5 WAR

Paddock = 2.2 WAR

Hader 2.0 WAR

I would trade Hader for just those two alone. Tatis very well could be the best SS in the game - Imagine a faster/better fielding Hirua - Thats Tatis

Tatis would automatically be our 2nd best player on offense

Yeah Paddack would immediately slot in as the 1A to Woodruff's 1B when he (Woodruff) returns and give us years of those two at the top of our rotation and Tatis and Hiura would be the best middle infield bat combination in MLB and in franchise history and give us an insane 1-2-3 punch in the order of Yelich-Hiura-Tatis.

Losing Hader would suck but it's something that you can afford to go out and fix now that you've got the top of your rotation and middle infield cost controlled for the next 6 years -- this would be an insanely lopsided trade in our favor and the Padres would never even be so foolish as to offer it, much less as we would be foolish to turn it down.

I'll make this very simple for you

Tatis = 3.5 WAR

Paddock = 2.2 WAR

Hader 2.0 WAR

I would trade Hader for just those two alone. Tatis very well could be the best SS in the game - Imagine a faster/better fielding Hirua - Thats Tatis

Tatis would automatically be our 2nd best player on offense

This shows how much of a flawed a "stat" WAR really is. By it's definition, Paddack is 2.2 wins better than a replacement level starting pitcher, but Hader is only 2.0 wins better than a replacement level relief pitcher.

To anyone who knows anything about baseball, Hader is one of the Top 20 most valuable players in the game and far and away the most valuable at his position.

Yeah trading Hader would suck but imagine the prospect package you could get back. If some team is willing to give up the farm to get Hader then you have to seriously consider it. I don’t think trading Hader puts this team that far back.

So apparently we aren't the only insane fanbase. Cubs fans are talking about selling as well. I simply don't understand all the selling talk...

While I don’t see it from them, they could sell off a few and go after the headliners this offseason.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The selling thing makes sense if we get swept this week.end. It we lose 2 maybe. If we win 2 or more there is no way we sell. The real debate is if we lose 2 of 3. If this team found a way to grab a reliever and solid starter they would still be a tough out in the playoffs with woodruff returning

I haven't read through the entire thread. What are people recommending selling outside of Hader? Grandal and Moustakas? I don't like the way the Brewers are playing or their pitching. They really need one of Shaw, Aguilar, or Thames to start hitting, but the foundation is still here to get hot and make a run at things. Anything can happen if they can just get in; they have the talent offensively to do some damage. I know they don't have much of a farm system to work from but I'd sell what's left to try to acquire some pitching. They don't have anything to logically sell that would bring back much significant, imo

If they are not intent on ever trying Hader as a starter (that does seem remote at this point) then you could talk me into seeing what teams are willing to offer for him. That might change my opinion on selling.

Mostly I'm willing to see where things play out. It doesn't have a good feel but the 2nd Wild Card, as much as I don't like it leaves the door open a bit wider. Acquire a starter and see if you can get hot.

Just can't see anyway they can sell as long as they don't get swept here. A shrewd Moose trade to the AL due to having Shaw as a replacement I could see but I can't see them punting while 3 games out.

Also, that Pads trade is ridiculous. Honestly, you should probably trade Hader straight up for Tatis if offered just out of everyday SS is more valuable than a reliever and he is/was a 'mega prospect' type who's performing immediately. He's the type you get and try to immediately lock him up to buy out a couple years of arby. Let alone if they add in a current proven starter and two other prospects then it's not even close.

Archived