Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

Another BS by Jeffress, Woody out 6weeks, the team needs too many additions to address and not enough ammo to do so. The team is filled with 4ERA types Starters to Hader. As great as Hader is, he needs a game off like last night and the end result was all to predictable. We now know Nelson will not bring an impact moving forward. Chacin's season. You're missing three now atop the rotation having to rely on this shaky bullpen. You sell Grandal and Moose. Simple as that. I'm sure we can gain 2 future top 100 types in doing so. Adding Ammo to trade for someone this offseason or next deadline. Understand, Those two will be gone, the prospects you used for rentals, in order to patch up a team with a Negative run differential in hopes to compete this year. Its not 1 guy. Unless Stearns makes 4 trades in a matter of 30mins of eachother, the Cubs or LA or Atl will find a way to steal one of those 4 we need seeing the buying Stearns is making. Say we trade for Thor. We need bullpen, Cubs/Atl beat the offer for whatever the top bullpen guy we target. Or we find that Bullpen guy, and some team outbids our offer trading for Thor. Think about Schoop vs Machado.

Not enough Ammo to buy the patches this team needs. I want to at least have a chance next season and the following few years to compete. Buying this year would cripple our ability for that. The idea of losing Hader/Yelich to regain the minors is idiotic. You do moves like that when they are rentals or in their last year of control. I cant see the additions to this team to not only beat the Dodgers, but whatever AL team we'd face in the World Series. No Home Field Advantage this year in either series.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If prices for players are that high, it’d be a good time to sell.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I will never get the love and absolute fascination so many here have for "prospects". Again, that's ALL they are...It maddens me to think so many want to stake the Brewers future on prospects that may or may not amount to anything. When possible, you ALWAYS acquire proven major league ready talent. If it costs you the entire farm but sets up your team for the next couple of years(like dealing for Thor and his control), then you absolutely 10000% do it. No questions asked. Also, I get tired of hearing the "moose and Grandal won't be here next year" mantra. NO ONE knows that. No one knows what Stearns and Mark A are thinking or have discussed internally. Maybe they are both back(I think it's possible), maybe one is and one isn't, maybe neither of them are, but to state it as 100% fact that they won't be really wrankles me. You have ZERO proof of that, don't state it factually until it is a fact.

I will never get the love and absolute fascination so many here have for "prospects". Again, that's ALL they are...It maddens me to think so many want to stake the Brewers future on prospects that may or may not amount to anything. When possible, you ALWAYS acquire proven major league ready talent. If it costs you the entire farm but sets up your team for the next couple of years(like dealing for Thor and his control), then you absolutely 10000% do it. No questions asked. Also, I get tired of hearing the "moose and Grandal won't be here next year" mantra. NO ONE knows that. No one knows what Stearns and Mark A are thinking or have discussed internally. Maybe they are both back(I think it's possible), maybe one is and one isn't, maybe neither of them are, but to state it as 100% fact that they won't be really wrankles me. You have ZERO proof of that, don't state it factually until it is a fact.

Very angry today. Hiura was just a prospect about a month ago. There’s more than one way to skin a cat as there is to build a baseball team. The Brewers don’t have endless resources like some of the teams they compete with. IF the market is right to pick up some very talented prospects, I think they should do it. Those prospects can become currency too. Ya know, buy other players, like Yelich.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Trading yelich and Hader before their contracts are set to expire would be the dumbest moves in the history of baseball..period.

The trade of Babe Ruth to the Yankees says 'hello'.

Considering you're not even saying that a specific trade would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball, but ANY trade including those players would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball is really not a particularly informed post.

I'll take Fernando Tatis, Chris Paddack, Francisco Mejia and Mackenzie Gore for Hader. Or Yelich.

That would be an unrealistic, lopsided trade (THIS YEAR). One Year ago that would have been 4 prospects. Shrug.

Trading yelich and Hader before their contracts are set to expire would be the dumbest moves in the history of baseball..period.

The trade of Babe Ruth to the Yankees says 'hello'.

Considering you're not even saying that a specific trade would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball, but ANY trade including those players would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball is really not a particularly informed post.

I'll take Fernando Tatis, Chris Paddack, Francisco Mejia and Mackenzie Gore for Hader. Or Yelich.

That would be an unrealistic, lopsided trade (THIS YEAR). One Year ago that would have been 4 prospects. Shrug.

You're crazy...that kind of an offer gets them hung up on by me for either one of those guys. Not to mention if Stearns traded either one of them before their final year, the fans would run him out of town with pitchforks. He would be the most hated man in Wisconsin sports history...guaranteed.

Very angry today. Hiura was just a prospect about a month ago. There’s more than one way to skin a cat as there is to build a baseball team. The Brewers don’t have endless resources like some of the teams they compete with. IF the market is right to pick up some very talented prospects, I think they should do it. Those prospects can become currency too. Ya know, buy other players, like Yelich.

Yes, every single player ever was a prospect. Some people can be upset that fans like building teams the most logical and efficient way, I get annoyed when I hear the same things over and over again about how you ALWAYS trade the prospects for the proven MLB talent every single time.

There's 100 years of trades that tells you that's just a ridiculous statement. Hell, even when it works it can end up being a historically bad trade like Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. Alexander had a CC like 2nd half. Smoltz was a franchise-altering pitcher.

It just comes down to this, people who propose such things doesn't understand that it's not a matter of any one prospect. It's about building a system and out of that, trying to find the few guys who emerge. Most guys won't. They don't need to. There are a lot of minor leaguers. You only need 25 guys on a MLB roster.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member

Yes, every single player ever was a prospect. Some people can be upset that fans like building teams the most logical and efficient way, I get annoyed when I hear the same things over and over again about how you ALWAYS trade the prospects for the proven MLB talent every single time.

There's 100 years of trades that tells you that's just a ridiculous statement. Hell, even when it works it can end up being a historically bad trade like Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. Alexander had a CC like 2nd half. Smoltz was a franchise-altering pitcher.

It just comes down to this, people who propose such things doesn't understand that it's not a matter of any one prospect. It's about building a system and out of that, trying to find the few guys who emerge. Most guys won't. They don't need to. There are a lot of minor leaguers. You only need 25 guys on a MLB roster.

Ten years ago I understood the "Go for it NOW" mentality because of the sheer futility of the franchise for the 18-25 years before that time. The town and the stadium NEEDED playoff baseball. I think the last 10 years of being "okay" and touching the playoffs a few times actually makes it easier to re-build and do things the right way. The town is still desperate for a WS opportunity, but the fanbase is strong enough to wait a few years to make it happen and hopefully make it happen repeatedly. That wasn't the case in 2006-2008.

The ages of Uecker and Selig is really the only motivation that might push the organization to sell out for the moment.

You're crazy...that kind of an offer gets them hung up on by me for either one of those guys. Not to mention if Stearns traded either one of them before their final year, the fans would run him out of town with pitchforks. He would be the most hated man in Wisconsin sports history...guaranteed.

So if you were offered those 4 prospects/players for Hader...you'd pass? That's....incredible. No GM in the game passes on that type of talent for a left handed reliever. Even a really, really good one. That is just....absurdly short-sighted. And stop with the "fans would run Stearns out," nonsense.

Not all Brewers fans are this naive. They understand that sometimes you make trades. And given that Tatis a 20 year old SS who's production isn't far beyond Yelich, Paddock would be the Brewers best starting pitcher this year, Gore is the top left handed pitching prospect in baseball and then you throw in a high upside 23 year old switch hitting catcher already playing in the big leagues......I don't think it'd take long for fans to put down those stupid pitch forks.

For the record, the Padres are the ones turning that down, not the Brewers. And the Brewers would likely hear giggling or outright laughter on the other end of the phone before it was hung up. I'd take Tatis for Yelich straight up. And you wouldn't do Tatis and 3 other extremely valuable players for Hader? :tired

I saw a tweet about the Brewers trading Aguilar to the Rays and someone on there suggested Snell AND one of Honeywell, McKay, Liberatore PLUS Baez.

Was that you by chance?

Your disdain for prospects is getting really over the top.

These players were all "prospects" in the last 3 years:

Cody Bellinger, Ronald Acuna, Rafael Devers, Keston Hiura, Walker Buehler...I could go on and on.

Sometimes "proven" talent doesn't always pan out either -- age, regression, etc. can easily end a veteran's career while the "prospect" goes on to have a very successful career.

A small market team can't operate the way you want them to. You'd be perennially rebuilding from a gutted farm system and veteran contracts you can't afford.

Ten years ago I understood the "Go for it NOW" mentality because of the sheer futility of the franchise for the 18-25 years before that time. The town and the stadium NEEDED playoff baseball. I think the last 10 years of being "okay" and touching the playoffs a few times actually makes it easier to re-build and do things the right way. The town is still desperate for a WS opportunity, but the fanbase is strong enough to wait a few years to make it happen and hopefully make it happen repeatedly. That wasn't the case in 2006-2008.

The ages of Uecker and Selig is really the only motivation that might push the organization to sell out for the moment.

Agreed. Also, those teams seemed to play below their talent levels or what was expected out of them. It was easier to picture a lineup with Hardy, Hart, Weeks, Prince, Braun, Hall at a time with Sheets and Gallardo needing that elite pitcher like CC.

Also, remember that was when we had that team in AA that just kinda developed at once. They weren't all highly touted prospects, Laporta was a reach according to most, but it was almost the ideal group to trade from.

There have to be rational discussions on this both ways though. If you dismiss out of hand the idea of trading a guy like Hader for two current STUDS on the Padres and then an elite prospect(and a former top 15 overall catcher) you're not having a reality-based discussion. It's the same as saying you'd never trade ANY prospects no matter what.

I wish I was of the opinion that it was worth buying right now. I certainly don't like not wanting the Brewers to add. But what I hate even more are those periods when they bottom out. A good GM and a well run team, again, the Ray and A's are two that I can think of that often sell when they're technically a contender, but they know they're not on the same level as the other teams, that's the type of team that can be consistently competitive, replenish it's farm system and then invest more in certain years than others.

Man if Aguilar for Honeywell was on the table I wouldn’t get off the phone until the trade was official.

Wouldn't you do that for any of those players? Even the "throw in" Baez I'd do in a heartbeat.

I'd be constantly verifying though that they didn't have a Brett Honeywell, brother of Brent who they drafted in the 36th round or something, or a Brandon McKay.

If the Rays were in the NLC I think they'd be a perennial contender. Especially if they had the payroll we have. We should use them as a better barometer of when to buy and sell than the Yankees during "The Bosses" tenure when it was just all in every year.

They’re not going to break up their team, plain and simple. There are too many good players with multiple seasons of team control. That would be Stearns taking a huge gamble with not just his job with the Brewers but his career in baseball as the stakes.

The fan base won’t suport it; the owner won’t suport it. Fantasy land

They’re not going to break up their team, plain and simple. There are too many good players with multiple seasons of team control.

Two of our top 3 or 4 position players are free agents after the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They’re not going to break up their team, plain and simple. There are too many good players with multiple seasons of team control.

Yeah at the very least they could trade Grandal and Moose. Tell the fans you'll try and re-sign them in the off season.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

By break up their team I mean trade away major league players with team control.

Nonetheless, I think they keep Moustakas and Grandal. By trading Moutakas you’re throwing in the towel on 2019. While the front office has to be pragmatic; I think they’ll roll the bones and hope to get lucky before throwing in the towel by trading Moustakas

Without a contending team in dire need of a catcher and his 18 million dollar salary there isn’t much point to trading Grandal. The Brewers aren’t going to pay a team to take Grandal’s salary and, moreover, if a team is taking on close to 9 million dollars in salary they’re not going to send the Brewers anything of note.

If you trade Moose, you just play Shaw. It’s not going to be much of a drop off.

And a team taking on Grandal would pay him about $6M.

Yeah that’s accurate...to a point. In reality it’s our 3rd and 4th best position players are FAs. Additionally, I’m of the mind that Piña and Grandal are a lot closer given Grandal’s propensity for rather poor receiving. Optics over advanced stats.

If you trade Moose, you just play Shaw. It’s not going to be much of a drop off.

I'm literally going to be worried about you and your mental health if they end up buying..especially buying big.

I just don't know how they can buy big without giving up Hiura and I would be shocked if they did that. In other words, I don't think they'll go big. If they buy it will be some spare parts (e.g. reliever, low end starter, utility dude)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm literally going to be worried about you and your mental health if they end up buying..especially buying big.

:laughing You’re becoming the next joke around here and you don’t even realize it. If they buy, they buy.. but I don’t think it’s the smart play. Honestly, the way your cry on these message boards, we should probably check in with you in August 1st and we haven’t Hiura traded for [sarcasm]elite[/sarcasm] pitching.

Oh for heaven's sake, give it a rest. People are allowed to have a different philosophy on what the team should do.

Archived