Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

If the Brewers even considered trading Hader whoever responsible should be require to eat sugarless pissed in corn flakes that are past their best by date.

If they want to compete in the short term you aren’t trading Woodruff, Yelich, and Hiura. There are a few other guys where trading them makes little sense if we are trying to compete next year etc....but maybe you could find a way where it is okay.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You can come piss in my cornflakes cause I wouldn’t eat those nasty things anyway.

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. :)

Wouldn't you just be better off with Frosted Flakes if you need to add sugar to corn flakes?

You would think but there is entirely too much sugar on Frosted Flakes. It's a fine line but it's there.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. :)

Wouldn't you just be better off with Frosted Flakes if you need to add sugar to corn flakes?

You would think but there is entirely too much sugar on Frosted Flakes. It's a fine line but it's there.

Corn flakes mixed with another sweet cereal (e.g., Honey Smacks, Golden Crisp) is the bomb!

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

In general I hate when people criticize other people's thread ideas. (and some of us here have done the exact same thing in recent past, and I probably have too at some point). If you think a thread is silly/ridiculous/whatever, I personally think everyone is better off if you just leave it alone and move about your day. Different people have different opinions. Unless something is obviously done just to instigate/shock (DFA Christian Yelich, for instance), not everyone has the same perspective.

So likewise, I don't understand why people get bent out of shape every time threads like this get made. Part of the fun of a message board is debating hypotheticals. If the OP had started the thread by saying "Obviously we suck and should be headed for a full blown rebuild now, so where should we start", that would be one thing, but this, it's just one possibility among many to debate. Maybe we turn it around and end up winning the World Series this year. That's another possibility too. But it's just another thing to discuss.

To answer the original question, the two most likely to get dealt I would have to think are Moose and Grandal. Both are having fine seasons and are probably worth something. Worth exactly what, is really tough to peg. I keep going back to the very paltry return JD Martinez brought back recently as a deadline rental, but both Moose and Grandal certainly have more positional value. I would start my ask for either around the value that Machado brought back last year and realize that we'll probably have to settle for less -- I'm guessing both value around a lower top 100 prospect or maybe a couple 10-15 organizational prospects from a good system.

I just don't see much really there beyond that, personally. If it was the offseason, where everyone was involved, sure. But you have to think in terms of contenders. Is a contender really looking to move trade capital at the deadline to acquire a .650ish OPS solid gloved shortstop? Nah. Or even a guy like Chacin? No, he's having a miserable year so far. Even Shaw has likely scared away potential buyers. Buyers are going to prioritize current production, especially when it comes to rentals, but even for someone like Shaw -- they know he's not useable to them right now. Not that someone might not take a Chacin, but you wouldn't get anything. It'd be a Curtis Granderson dump style move. Even a guy like Zach Davies, who is having a nice year, probably isn't going to garner that much interest. Every GM out there is well aware that he's trending in the wrong direction. Guys like Corbin Burnes and Freddy Peralta certainly have value, but as a seller to a buyer? No, you're looking for help now, and the YTD production will scare you away.

Obviously, the two names that will change the conversation entirely are Yelich and Hader, and then you're looking at an entirely different world for an asking price. But that's not a road you're looking to go down unless you're entering a full scale rebuild, and that's not what we would be doing. So yeah, I'd think Grandal and Moose would probably be the two likeliest. Smaller other pieces that you're looking to just move on from -- guys like Albers, Anderson, Guerra, Aguilar. But you're probably only talking about getting back lower organizational types at best.

Community Moderator
If you have diabetes, then the sugar is already in the piss, making added sugar unnecessary for Corn Flakes.

This thread has me thinking Moises Alou really missed an opportunity to cross promote the benefits of unique uses for urine while appearing on a Wheaties box. His cereal box cover photo could have been something along these lines...

48105468737_735313a1f6_z_d.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
If the Brewers even considered trading Hader whoever responsible should be require to eat sugarless pissed in corn flakes that are past their best by date.

Question for the room that I am honestly curious to hear the answer to...

Would you trade Josh Hader right now if it meant the return would be the exact three players the Pirates sent to the Rays for Chris Archer last year (Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow, and top 100 prospect Shane Baz)?

Note: This is just a hypothetical for survey purposes, not something that I am proposing is actually a possibility.

Would you trade Josh Hader right now if it meant the return would be the exact three players the Pirates sent to the Rays for Chris Archer last year (Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow, and top 100 prospect Shane Baz)?

Note: This is just a hypothetical for survey purposes, not something that I am proposing is actually a possibility.

Would I trade Hader for Meadows+Glasnow+Baz? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Verified Member

I wouldn't RIGHT NOW, but I would in a month if the pitching staff remains as poor as it has been the last couple of weeks.

I wouldn't RIGHT NOW, but I would in a month if the pitching staff remains as poor as it has been the last couple of weeks.

??

Meadows would pencil right in to our starting OF for the next 6 years. He would be an immediate and huge upgrade in our lineup right NOW.

Glasnow is about to come off the DL and was having a Cy Young type season. He has ace stuff and would probably slot in at the top of our rotation for the next 5 years.

Baz is a top 100 prospect with ace upside. Who cares. He's just gravy.

I love Hader and I think it would be absolutely nuts from our perspective not to jump on this without a moment's hesitation.

Well if we assume Hader would command similar (I don’t think he would), yes. But those kind of idiotic packages aren’t sent by teams often. That was a ton of crazy good MLB ready talent. And seeing what they have done now makes the answer quite obvious.

You would probably need that kind of massive MLB ready package to even consider it.

Well if we assume Hader would command similar (I don’t think he would), yes. But those kind of idiotic packages aren’t sent by teams often. That was a ton of crazy good MLB ready talent. And seeing what they have done now makes the answer quite obvious.

You would probably need that kind of massive MLB ready package to even consider it.

I’m betting there’s more out there that hader could fetch. Every other team is nuts about him. If he’s pitching once a week for a mediocre ball club you have to flip him if you could fill multiple roster holes with big time talent.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

I would. Not because I believe Meadows is that good, but because I really like Glasnow. I still just can't wrap my head around what the heck the Pirates were thinking. I guess we can't bash the Rays for their absurd asking prices in the future because there's always someone dumb enough to meet it!

I also get some of the shine had come off Meadows and Glasnow at the time of the trade, but you weren't exactly selling high on Archer.

I also hate seeing Hader used solely as a closer.

Verified Member

??

Meadows would pencil right in to our starting OF for the next 6 years. He would be an immediate and huge upgrade in our lineup right NOW.

Glasnow is about to come off the DL and was having a Cy Young type season. He has ace stuff and would probably slot in at the top of our rotation for the next 5 years.

Baz is a top 100 prospect with ace upside. Who cares. He's just gravy.

I love Hader and I think it would be absolutely nuts from our perspective not to jump on this without a moment's hesitation.

I'm not completely sold on any of those guys. I am completely sold on Hader...and if we have a chance to get to the WS this year with the guys we have (and I still think we do) I want Hader on my team. It's as simple as that.

I might change my tune in a month, if we are still hovering around .500 and the pitching staff continues to fail. Then the reward of getting those future years will easily surpass the risk of keeping Hader for a WS run.

Still, I really think we can trade Hader, Grandal and Moustakas for a SERIOUS haul in July and perhaps re-sign Moose or Grandal this offseason, which would set us up very nicely for the years to come.

Community Moderator

Haven’t exactly studied this, but off the top of my head these are my best guesses in terms of potential suitors for a half season of Grandal and Moustakas (obviously this is assuming these teams would still be in playoff contention)...

Grandal: Rays, Padres, Angels, Rangers

Moustakas: Phillies, Angels

I don't see Grandal or Moustakas bringing back huge returns. Attanasio and Stearns always seem to want to be in the mix, which means if they sell, it probably won't happen until the last minute. So a team trading for Grandal or Moustakas will only have them for two months. And both of them make pretty good money which pushes down their surplus value. Plus the rule changes, so now a team trading for them cannot factor getting a comp pick as part of the value they are receiving. Even if Grandal and/or Moustakas are valued at rock solid 3.6 WAR players, trading for 2 months is only getting about 1.2 WAR. So a team is getting 10.8 million in value. Including the mutual option buyout, Grandal will still be getting about 7.5 million in salary. With Moustakas the payout will be about 5.3 million. I definitely think the Brewers would get considerably more than the straight surplus value numbers indicate Grandal and Moustakas' values are. But I'd doubt if the price gets much over a back end "top ten organizational prospect" plus another prospect in the 20-30 range of a team's top prospect list.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
But I'd doubt if the price gets much over a back end "top ten organizational prospect" plus another prospect in the 20-30 range of a team's top prospect list.

Maybe but if you are getting those guys from the Padres or Rays they are probably going to end up as a really good player.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't see Grandal or Moustakas bringing back huge returns. Attanasio and Stearns always seem to want to be in the mix, which means if they sell, it probably won't happen until the last minute. So a team trading for Grandal or Moustakas will only have them for two months. And both of them make pretty good money which pushes down their surplus value. Plus the rule changes, so now a team trading for them cannot factor getting a comp pick as part of the value they are receiving. Even if Grandal and/or Moustakas are valued at rock solid 3.6 WAR players, trading for 2 months is only getting about 1.2 WAR. So a team is getting 10.8 million in value. Including the mutual option buyout, Grandal will still be getting about 7.5 million in salary. With Moustakas the payout will be about 5.3 million. I definitely think the Brewers would get considerably more than the straight surplus value numbers indicate Grandal and Moustakas' values are. But I'd doubt if the price gets much over a back end "top ten organizational prospect" plus another prospect in the 20-30 range of a team's top prospect list.

I think you have to trade Grandal or Moose for whatever you get, unless you are signing them to an extension (which is a different thread).

Regardless of prospects, you are saving that money, which they will need for Grandal 2020 and/or a starting pitcher.

I think you have to trade Grandal or Moose for whatever you get, unless you are signing them to an extension (which is a different thread).

Regardless of prospects, you are saving that money, which they will need for Grandal 2020 and/or a starting pitcher.

Exactly! If the Brewers were to end up in sell mode, then you absolutely need to try to trade as many of the valuable assets you have on the roster that will be F/A's at the end of this season. Get whatever prospect value you can for them, and then you could even make a run at signing 1-2 of them again in the offseason, to make another run in 2020. With that said - I don't think any of us want to think about this scenario, so hopefully the Crew will get hot here over the next month and make this a moot discussion.

Exactly! If the Brewers were to end up in sell mode, then you absolutely need to try to trade as many of the valuable assets you have on the roster that will be F/A's at the end of this season. Get whatever prospect value you can for them, and then you could even make a run at signing 1-2 of them again in the offseason, to make another run in 2020. With that said - I don't think any of us want to think about this scenario, so hopefully the Crew will get hot here over the next month and make this a moot discussion.

#1 on the sell mode list: Lorenzo Cain. I don't like the back end of his contract. I think Moose, Grandal, Pina, Davies and obviously, Hader, would all draw interest.

Davies?

I also saw Anderson on someone else's list that other teams would want.

Why would anyone want either of these guys, especially for anything of value.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived