Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

It sounds like the Mets want to package Wheeler and Diaz and I would love to go that route. I wouldn't be willing to deal Hiura of course, but I'd be willing to put Arcia, Turang, or even Burnes on the table.

Not being condescending at all, but you'd really give up 2 of those 3 or all three for a rental in Wheeler and a schizophrenic bullpen arm?? I would rather put that on the table for Robbie Ray to be honest. Idk, I know Arcia sucks, and Burnes has been bad this year, but he is young, has a power arm and tons of control left. I'm all for trading Arcia and Burnes and Turang, I'd just like to think a package like that could bring back more than this.

I think you're vastly underestimating what Diaz is worth. He's still one of the premier relievers in baseball, and he's controlled. He doesn't suddenly suck, he's just been really unlucky.

Wheeler yeah, he's a rental, much less value, but still definitely fills a major current need.

Incidentally, baseballtradevalues.com has Arcia+Burnes+Turang ($50.4M total value) as a close match for Diaz+Wheeler ($58.10M total value).

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It sounds like the Mets want to package Wheeler and Diaz and I would love to go that route. I wouldn't be willing to deal Hiura of course, but I'd be willing to put Arcia, Turang, or even Burnes on the table.

Not being condescending at all, but you'd really give up 2 of those 3 or all three for a rental in Wheeler and a schizophrenic bullpen arm?? I would rather put that on the table for Robbie Ray to be honest. Idk, I know Arcia sucks, and Burnes has been bad this year, but he is young, has a power arm and tons of control left. I'm all for trading Arcia and Burnes and Turang, I'd just like to think a package like that could bring back more than this.

Are you like two different people? Holy hell are you strange. One minute it’s sell anyone and everything for a player and then next you’re questioning another poster who is talking about moving guys to get something of value.

Wheeler isn't a big enough name. He wants a guy who has an ACE reputation, regardless of how bad that pitcher actually is now.

That's not true, but everyone around here is constantly preaching how they want to acquire players with control and don't want to give up big packages for rentals...even if you are getting Diaz with it. Point being, I'd rather have a starter with control than a reliever with control. I'm fine with Wheeler though, but yes, that doesn''t take away the fact I'd still like a TOR arm...are you telling me you wouldn't??

Are you like two different people? Holy hell are you strange. One minute it’s sell anyone and everything for a player and then next you’re questioning another poster who is talking about moving guys to get something of value.

Well you are definitely the same person, just CANNOT get over that wanting to sell hump, can you?? What is your obsession with it anyway?? maybe if I knew where you were coming from, I might understand, but someone that wants to SUBTRACT from the major league team at this point, absolutely baffles me. You can say "the Brewers one year players". That's where I have a problem with it...you have ZERO idea whether or not the Brewers will re sign them next year...NONE. You can't just assume they are one year players. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if at least one of them isn't back, if not both.

You know how I know you're obsessed with selling?? You seriously asked in the game thread(and no you weren't joking) wondering what Chase could bring back at the deadline...really?? This team has 3 healthy starters currently, and you're actually pondering that??

Holy hell man, I truly think you'd rather have the best minor league system in baseball , then see the Brewers in the playoffs...that's a very odd obsession to say the least.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well you are definitely the same person, just CANNOT get over that wanting to sell hump, can you?? What is your obsession with it anyway?? maybe if I knew where you were coming from, I might understand, but someone that wants to SUBTRACT from the major league team at this point, absolutely baffles me. You can say "the Brewers one year players". That's where I have a problem with it...you have ZERO idea whether or not the Brewers will re sign them next year...NONE. You can't just assume they are one year players. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if at least one of them isn't back, if not both.

You know how I know you're obsessed with selling?? You seriously asked in the game thread(and no you weren't joking) wondering what Chase could bring back at the deadline...really?? This team has 3 healthy starters currently, and you're actually pondering that??

Holy hell man, I truly think you'd rather have the best minor league system in baseball , then see the Brewers in the playoffs...that's a very odd obsession to say the least.

Perhaps Brew4u is simply trying to get you fired up? If that is the case, it has worked.

But in all seriousness, he hasn't said anything that doesn't make sense on some level. I am personally in favor of buying, but I totally get the idea of selling off a few short-termers, helping rebuild their prospect capitol, then going for it next year. It's the guys that talk about trading off the Yeliches and Haders that I simply don't understand.

:laughing This keeps getting better and better. Mod Removed I’ll just let ya know that it was totally tongue in cheek about Chase. I also was joking about Braun playing SS just to let you know. There is no obsession with selling and never has been. Discussion about selling, on a message board, with a team that has tons of holes, makes plenty of sense even if you can’t wrap your head around it. It shouldn’t have to be explained. Nor should you get so worked up over it.

Did you know that you can sign players you trade away the season prior? There’s no rule against it. So even in your scenario of having them on the team next year could happen even if you did end up selling. Which again, I’ve stated numerous times that it most likely wouldn’t happen even before beating the Cubs twice.

Perhaps Brew4u is simply trying to get you fired up? If that is the case, it has worked.

Me? Naw... never. ;)

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Did you know that you can sign players you trade away the season prior? There’s no rule against it. So even in your scenario of having them on the team next year could happen even if you did end up selling. Which again, I’ve stated numerous times that it most likely wouldn’t happen even before beating the Cubs twice.

Did you know trading one of those players or both would SERIOUSLY diminish this years team?? Did you know there is no rule against keeping them through this year and then still resigning them?? It's a novel concept, I know.

Let me ask this...if selling when you are this close to making the playoffs makes sense to you, then why are so many of the teams in the NL still rather undecided about being buyers or sellers because of how close they are to making the playoffs, and the Brewers are in better shape then they are. If you think the Brewers should sell Grandal or Moose when they are very much in the chase yet, should the Ginats sell Will Smith and Bumgarner even though they have gone on a really hot streak to get back into it?? Should the Cubs sell some pieces?? The Cardinals?? The Nationals?? The Phillies??

I've waited to declare whether they should buy or sell. I was wanting to see how the Cub series would unfold before making a decision. Now that the first two are in the books, I am buying! An all in buy? No, but they can make some moves to at least make it to the playoffs. A starter is a clear need. I just don't think we have the assets to get a Syndergaard or Stroman unless we empty the system entirely, but there are some available that would help. The one that interest me the most is Mike Leake. Consistancy seems to be an issue, but when he is on, he can be good. That contract is a question, So I found this propsal.

https://sodomojo.com/2019/07/27/mariners-trade-day-leake-mil/

Thoughts??

I think you're vastly underestimating what Diaz is worth. He's still one of the premier relievers in baseball, and he's controlled. He doesn't suddenly suck, he's just been really unlucky.

Wheeler yeah, he's a rental, much less value, but still definitely fills a major current need.

Incidentally, baseballtradevalues.com has Arcia+Burnes+Turang ($50.4M total value) as a close match for Diaz+Wheeler ($58.10M total value).

I don't care what that site values Turang at, I wouldn't move him. I also wouldn't move Burnes...as much because it's the worst time to move him. He can't possibly put up a worse line.

Two wins over the terrible on the road Cubs still doesn't have me in a big buying mood.

Did you know trading one of those players or both would SERIOUSLY diminish this years team?? Did you know there is no rule against keeping them through this year and then still resigning them?? It's a novel concept, I know.

Let me ask this...if selling when you are this close to making the playoffs makes sense to you, then why are so many of the teams in the NL still rather undecided about being buyers or sellers because of how close they are to making the playoffs, and the Brewers are in better shape then they are. If you think the Brewers should sell Grandal or Moose when they are very much in the chase yet, should the Ginats sell Will Smith and Bumgarner even though they have gone on a really hot streak to get back into it?? Should the Cubs sell some pieces?? The Cardinals?? The Nationals?? The Phillies??

Jesus...the guy who said that he wouldn't consider trading Josh Hader for Tatis Jr, Paddack, Gore and Mejia...really shouldn't be talking to people like this. Arrogance and another words that sounds real similar is a VERY bad combination.

Jesus...the guy who said that he wouldn't consider trading Josh Hader for Tatis Jr, Paddack, Gore and Mejia...really shouldn't be talking to people like this. Arrogance and another words that sounds real similar is a VERY bad combination.

For the record, I'd move Hader...IF the Dodgers wanted him and I got Gavin Lux, Walker Buehler and Will Smith. I just don't trust the players the Padres would give back. The Dodgers I do.

I don't care what that site values Turang at, I wouldn't move him. I also wouldn't move Burnes...as much because it's the worst time to move him. He can't possibly put up a worse line.

Two wins over the terrible on the road Cubs still doesn't have me in a big buying mood.

I just love Free agency and trade deadlines in all the major sports though admittedly I don't follow the NBA that closely. I love reading about and discussing where different players go, the impact it will have on said teams etc. It's even more exciting when the teams I follow are involved in it. Like it was a HUGE thrill for me when the Packers FINALLY spent big in Free agency this year. I love that the Brewers are probably going to have a new player or two by Wednesday to discuss and follow. It really brings out the kid in me, it's like Christmas morning in a lot of ways in that regard. :)

That's not true, but everyone around here is constantly preaching how they want to acquire players with control and don't want to give up big packages for rentals...even if you are getting Diaz with it. Point being, I'd rather have a starter with control than a reliever with control. I'm fine with Wheeler though, but yes, that doesn''t take away the fact I'd still like a TOR arm...are you telling me you wouldn't??

The Brewers have a TOR arm. He'll be back around Labor Day. They need one or two guys that can keep them in it through August and one of those guys needs to be a playoff caliber starter. Wheeler fits that description.

For the record, I'd move Hader...IF the Dodgers wanted him and I got Gavin Lux, Walker Buehler and Will Smith. I just don't trust the players the Padres would give back. The Dodgers I do.

So if you're *just* getting Buehler + Lux for Hader, it's a pass?

Buehler, Lux, and another solid starter.... I'd do it too. Relievers are volatile in nature. Few are really great throughout their career. Yes, I would take back three really good ones for a dominant closer.

I still wouldn’t buy too hard. This team is very capable but the holes are large enough that a big splash may not cover them. I’d do a couple of minor moves to see if some guys with new scenery and a playoff hunt can over perform for the last few months. If the prices dropped or a team was going to send a huge part of their salary for like a Greinke deal, then it might make some sense for a splash.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I still wouldn’t buy too hard. This team is very capable but the holes are large enough that a big splash may not cover them. I’d do a couple of minor moves to see if some guys with new scenery and a playoff hunt can over perform for the last few months. If the prices dropped or a team was going to send a huge part of their salary for like a Greinke deal, then it might make some sense for a splash.

Hey! We actually agree on something. You can only do what you can do with what you have to give, but...I do believe prices will be coming down on some of these guys as the day gets closer. That being Said, I would certainly hope that DS has gauged what kind of value guys like Arcia, Aguilar, Burnes, Nelson have. He is going to have to get creative. Now granted, individually none of them have a lot of value, but if you put them into a package of some sort, I would think there's teams that would be interested in some of these guys. At this point, as I mentioned before, if all DS did was got this team a new SS, I'd be ecstatic..I'm beyond done with Arcia.

Hey! We actually agree on something. You can only do what you can do with what you have to give, but...I do believe prices will be coming down on some of these guys as the day gets closer. That being Said, I would certainly hope that DS has gauged what kind of value guys like Arcia, Aguilar, Burnes, Nelson have. He is going to have to get creative. Now granted, individually none of them have a lot of value, but if you put them into a package of some sort, I would think there's teams that would be interested in some of these guys. At this point, as I mentioned before, if all DS did was got this team a new SS, I'd be ecstatic..I'm beyond done with Arcia.

I doubt we are on the same page but I’ll take it. I’d sell Moose and Grandal in a heart beat still. We have guys that can step in at those positions if the right deals are out there.

I doubt we are on the same page but I’ll take it. I’d sell Moose and Grandal in a heart beat still. We have guys that can step in at those positions if the right deals are out there.

Step in at catcher? Really? Production would be way down.

Moose has been great too.

They can maybe cover Moose...but not Grandal, not that can make up for his power and OBP. That would be a huge drop off in the lineup that is already bad enough at the SS position. No more holes please. I understand your concept on wanting to trade them without question. I just don't want to do it because A. I feel they both bring to much offensively to the current team B. I still have visions/hopes that they both come back next year. Sure you can trade them and still bring them back next year but that just seems to me that it's not as likely to happen as if you just kept them through the year then tried to re sign them. Besides...what would you possibly get for either of them being pending FA's?? A couple of lower level minor leaguers?? To me, that's just not enough to do much for the system, and certainly doesn't help the current team.

I’d be really interested to know how much of a drop off Pina would be for the rest of the season. He’s been hot with the bat and he seems to call a better game for our pitchers. I don’t think it’d be that severe.

I’d be really interested to know how much of a drop off Pina would be for the rest of the season. He’s been hot with the bat and he seems to call a better game for our pitchers. I don’t think it’d be that severe.

I tend to agree with this and Grandal has slowed a bit since the break but replacing Moose with the 2019 version of Shaw makes me cringe. Shaw hasn't earned a bench role much less a starting role for the rest of the year.

:laughing :laughing

Well, that's nice of you. The Dodgers would be laughing ALMOST as hard as the Padres would laugh at that hypothetical trade.

Also, what do you need to "trust?" Seriously, coming up in the Dodgers farm system isn't some magic elixir that makes you great. You're talking about not "trusting" players who are right now playing at the big league level and excelling.

But this is all moot as the Dodgers sure as hell wouldn't trade Buehler straight up for Hader, let alone throwing in Lux and their catcher of the future.

I feel like this went from unintentional to intentional trolling now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived