Brewer Fanatic

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

Hopefully it doesn’t come to it but if it does, we sure have quite a few pieces to trade to restock our farm a bit:

-Moustakas & Grandal: Both basically on 1-year deals but having great seasons and could help any team in the mix.

-Orlando Arica: This one would be hard for me but with Dubon doing what he is doing, it could make Arcia available in a trade. What is Arcia worth? That’s a hard one. It would probably vary greatly from GM to GM. An Arcia trade could set off a Dubon-Hiura up the middle for years to come. (And also keep Perez around)

-Eric Thames: Having a very nice season for us and could provide a power source for a playoff bound team.

-Zach Davies: Depending on his hopeful rebound, he could be a nice arm for someone looking for depth.

-Jhoulys Chacin: Again, all would be dependent on if he returns to form but had playoff experience and could provide depth to a competing team.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moustakas and Grandal are the only ones on that list worth anything and I am not sure that teams would give up a lot for Moustakas on a career year. Grandal may have value but catcher rentals rarely fetch much in return.

I wouldn't mind dealing Grandal. As much as I'd hate to lose his bat, and it would be a big blow, I do think Pina is a much better defensive catcher. But I wouldn't trade Grandal for prospects, only for a starting pitching upgrade that could help the team down the stretch. I've looked through the league and couldn't find what would look like a decent match. Teams that aren't good wouldn't be interested in trading for a rental piece, and good clubs that could use an upgrade in catcher offense (San Diego, Tampa Bay) don't have a short-term pitcher that really fits the bill.

Brewers are going through a rough stretch right now, but I think they get back on track in pretty short order and I see Hiura being back up in another few days to give them another boost. I don't see them as being sellers. To get to that point, they'd probably have to go into something like a horrible 7-23 stretch, and I think there are enough good players on this roster to avoid that.

Brew4U mostly nailed it in my opinion. Moustakas and Grandal would be the big obvious pieces. Team control guys we could consider moving include Davies, Arcia, Claudio, Aguilar, Guerra, and Gamel. 1 year guys we could probably get something for, or at least dump salary include Thames, Albers, GG, and Chacin.

I would anticipate all the 1 year guys moving, along with maybe Guerra, Aguilar, and Davies if we can find buyers. I think all the rest stay put. I also think with Thames hitting pretty well right now, we might get more than you'd think. I think at this point, we could for sure get someone to take his entire salary and give us a small piece. I would normally argue he could get more, but there should be quite a few 1b available at the deadline so the market isn't ideal.

Obviously, none of us even want to think this way at this point, but let's say that this team does continue this tail spin over the next month. If that happens, we'd actually be in a pretty good spot here to trade a couple of these guys and still have potentially a decent roster that could still win some games in the 2nd half of the season.

If you trade Grandal - you'd probably get a couple of decent prospects, and you'd still have Pina on the roster to take over the #1 catching spot. This would also allow you to give Nottingham some PT and see what you have in him for the future.

If you trade Moose - you should get a couple of decent prospects, and you'd simply bring Keston up to fill the 2B position. If Shaw finds himself in the second half, then you might not even have that much drop off with the Shaw/Hiura 3B/2B combo than what you've had with Moose/Shaw combo in the 1st half?

If you do trade Arcia - I would have to think you'd want to get a couple of really good prospects (not sure if another team would give you that for Arcia?), and you could bring Dubon up in the 2nd half to see what you have with him. Maybe Dubon flourishes with the opportunity and gives you just as much production as Arcia did?

Trade Thames for a lottery ticket type young prospect and just turn things over to Aggy in hopes that he figures things out again in the 2nd half. Could also give Nottingham some work there.

If Chacin would come around in the next month, I'd have to think that he'd get you a decent prospect or two in return.

Not sure if I'd want to trade Davies and his controllable years, but I guess if a team knocked our socks off with a prospect offer - it would be worth considering. Doubt too many teams would do that though for a soft tossing righty like Davies.

Again - I hope we don't have to go down this road next month, but at least we'd be able to restock our farm system just a bit and hopefully we could still set ourselves up to compete again next year.

I wouldn't mind dealing Grandal. As much as I'd hate to lose his bat, and it would be a big blow, I do think Pina is a much better defensive catcher. But I wouldn't trade Grandal for prospects, only for a starting pitching upgrade that could help the team down the stretch. I've looked through the league and couldn't find what would look like a decent match. Teams that aren't good wouldn't be interested in trading for a rental piece, and good clubs that could use an upgrade in catcher offense (San Diego, Tampa Bay) don't have a short-term pitcher that really fits the bill.

Brewers are going through a rough stretch right now, but I think they get back on track in pretty short order and I see Hiura being back up in another few days to give them another boost. I don't see them as being sellers. To get to that point, they'd probably have to go into something like a horrible 7-23 stretch, and I think there are enough good players on this roster to avoid that.

So you'd want to trade Grandal...but not for prospects or younger players, you want to trade the middle of the order bat who catches for a pitcher? Weren't you upset that Stearns didn't go out and upgrade the catcher position last year? Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Should trade Yelich for Yamamoto.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Moustakas and Grandal are the only ones on that list worth anything and I am not sure that teams would give up a lot for Moustakas on a career year. Grandal may have value but catcher rentals rarely fetch much in return.

How often are elite offensive catchers available?

I'd think if any position would get you a big return as a rental, it'd be a catcher on pace to hit over 30 Hr's, and one who's been one of the best catchers the last few years.

The only reason they rarely fetch a big return is that you rarely find one who gets dealt.

But as others have pointed out, why are we even talking about this? Because of a losing streak? One that every team goes through? 1st place two days ago to sellers now!

I'm sure Stearns is prepared for that unlikely scenario, but I don't think we're even CLOSE to actually being in that position. We're just going through the normal ebbs and flows of playing 162 games in 180 days or however many days it is now.

Should trade Yelich for Yamamoto.

If we're lucky, we could toss in one of those power hitting, high OBP catchers that teams have too many of for a low-level lottery pick into the deal as well!

This entire thread is just silly...

I'm not sure why whenever we get nice things, people want to trade them off.

Why, so we can wait another 5 years to sniff the playoffs?

Hard pass on sell mode. I think things will level off in the near future, but we are going to need the pitching staff to show some growth as compared to the first half of the season.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator

I agree that the sell scenario is very unlikely and would require the losses to continue to pile up over the next month, but it isn't unprecedented for a competitive team to get a boost from making trades during a down season.

The best example that comes to mind are the Yankees in 2016 trading Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Carlos Beltran. In exchange they received (among several others) Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson (Sheffield and Swanson were later traded for James Paxton), and Dillon Tate. On the date the Yankees made the first of those three trades (July 25) they were 51-48 and just 7.5 games back of both the division lead and the wildcard. Those trades ultimately spring-boarded their chances for greater future success.

Now obviously the Brewers don't likely have someone they would consider parting with that would bring back a Gleyber Torres type prospect, but if it is clear come the end of July that things aren't breaking their way then they better at least listen to offers on players like Moose and Grandal.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It’s silly until it’s not. For me it’s an interesting thing to think about. If you don’t think we will be in sell mode, great. Good for you. I don’t believe we will either. But I think it’s at least topic worthy to think about who has any worth to continue to build our future. Go piss on someone else’s cornflakes if you’d like to.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree that the sell scenario is very unlikely and would require the losses to continue to pile up over the next month, but it isn't unprecedented for a competitive team to get a boost from making trades during a down season.

The best example that comes to mind are the Yankees in 2016 trading Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Carlos Beltran. In exchange they received (among several others) Gleybar Torres, Adam Warren, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson (Sheffield and Swanson were later traded for James Paxton), and Dillon Tate. On the date the Yankees made the first of those three trades (July 25) they were 51-48 and just 7.5 games back of both the division lead and the wildcard. Those trades ultimately spring-boarded their chances for greater future success.

Now obviously the Brewers don't likely have someone they would consider parting with that would bring back a Gleybar Torres type prospect, but if it is clear come the end of July that things aren't breaking their way then they better at least listen to offers on players like Moose and Grandal.

White Sox did it in 1997. They were only 3.5 back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Flag_Trade

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Go piss on someone else’s cornflakes if you’d like to.

Thanks for adding to your already full resume of insightful posts.

:rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You. Are. No. Better. :tongue

You come into a thread he starts and your first words are: This entire thread is just silly.

What did you think was going to happen? That he would respond in agreeance?

You can come piss in my cornflakes cause I wouldn’t eat those nasty things anyway.

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. :)

I heard they’re grrrrrrrrreat! Without piss.

You can come piss in my cornflakes cause I wouldn’t eat those nasty things anyway.

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. :)

Wouldn't you just be better off with Frosted Flakes if you need to add sugar to corn flakes?

Verified Member

The best example that comes to mind are the Yankees in 2016 trading Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Carlos Beltran. In exchange they received (among several others) Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson (Sheffield and Swanson were later traded for James Paxton), and Dillon Tate. On the date the Yankees made the first of those three trades (July 25) they were 51-48 and just 7.5 games back of both the division lead and the wildcard. Those trades ultimately spring-boarded their chances for greater future success.

Now obviously the Brewers don't likely have someone they would consider parting with that would bring back a Gleyber Torres type prospect, but if it is clear come the end of July that things aren't breaking their way then they better at least listen to offers on players like Moose and Grandal.

Only Yelich is untouchable on this roster. Maybe Woodruff too.

Hader is far more valuable to a WS type team than he is to any other team (i.e. The Brewers IF the slide continues and we become sellers), and we could really use a few more prospects to infuse the Yelich years with real top notch young talent rather than relying upon the wizardry of Stearns and MA to sign guys like Moose, Grandal, Chacin, etc. every single year.

Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota and Atlanta have some nice prospects--like 17 out of the top 55 guys on MLB pipeline are from those 4 systems. Hader, Moose, Grandal and whoever should/could net us 3 Top 50 guys plus a few more low level guys.

This roster and farm system isn't really built for sustained long term success right now. If getting to the WS this year seems like a major stretch in a month, then I hope Stearns has the gall to pull a little mini-rebuild. Even jettisoning all the expiring contracts this year for an uninspiring return might allow us to AGAIN make some big FA acquisitions in the offseason...Trading Moose and Grandal and re-signing them in January would be better than holding onto them all year and missing the playoffs.

It's still 3.5 weeks early for this talk though.

Archived