Brewer Fanatic

Nicholas Castellanos?

While the pitching has been brutal lately the lack of right handed hitting against lefties has also been a weakness for the Brewers. Left handed hitters are hitting above their norm against lefties while right handed hitters that should be hitting real well against the left handers have not done their fair share. I think Castellanos would be a real nice addition to this team and since he is a free agent after the year the Brewers should have the prospects to get him. He is a brutal defender no doubt but as usual he is hitting left handers well this year with a 302/392/535 slash. If the Brewers get a player of this caliber I don't have any doubt that Braun would be more than willing to move to 1B when Castellanos/Cain/Yelich are in the outfield. Maybe the Tigers would be interested in seeing if Aguilar could turn it around in Detroit as well since he has three more year of team control.

From what I understand the Tigers wanted him to play some 1B and he refused unless they gave him a multiyear deal.

Why not just bring up Hiura and deal Shaw who still has some value despite his terrible season?

Why not both in regards to Hiura? I guess they could trade Shaw as well but wouldn't mind if he stayed on the team still or at least option him and work on things. A left handed bat like Shaw's can still be very important down the stretch/playoffs.

From what I understand the Tigers wanted him to play some 1B and he refused unless they gave him a multiyear deal.

Why not just bring up Hiura and deal Shaw who still has some value despite his terrible season?

Why not both in regards to Hiura? I guess they could trade Shaw as well but wouldn't mind if he stayed on the team still or at least option him and work on things. A left handed bat like Shaw's can still be very important down the stretch/playoffs.

Point is Castellanos is a selfish player. Tigers wanted to increase his trade value by playing him at 1B. He refused and tried to use that refusal as leverage for a multi year deal? He's a horrible outfielder. I'd take my chances that Aguilar gets it together.

Community Moderator

I like the idea of adding his bat, but according to FanGraphs he was the worst rated defensive player in baseball last year (among qualified hitters), one spot behind Khris Davis. I don’t watch enough Tigers baseball to know his defensive deficiencies firsthand, but the publicly available data doesn’t view his outfield defense kindly.

If they were willing to run a bat first, poor defender out to RF with regularity I think they may have stuck with Domingo Santana.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

His bat has still been great against lefties. Don't have to play him every day if they don't want, just a rental. Saw in the playoffs last year that lefties could be an issue, even incremental improvements potentially could get them over the hump.

I wonder what it would take for Castellanos. He's been a "breakout" candidate but hasn't delivered. He's had some crazy high hard contact rates the past couple of years.

I've read him being pretty disgruntled with playing for a rebuilding team which may be impacting his play. Also playing in a bad lineup can't be helping for a kind of free swinger. Maybe moving to a better line-up, in a better ballpark and with a winning team might make the breakout happen?

The tigers couldn't move him over the offseason so demand isn't that high. And they probably don't want to offer him a qualifying offer since he's probably accept it with the current market and his disappointing year. Although he's a boras client, right?

Aguilar would make a lot of sense for Detroit. They have no first baseman. He's controllable for 3 years with a history of success. They can afford for him to struggle. He probably doesn't make it to them on waivers.

Aguilar + ~#10 prospect for Castellanos? I have no clue.

He's not a good OF so that would be a big reason for the brewers to stay away. Braun or Castellanos would have to move to 1B which I don't know if thats a great idea for either since they have limited experience there.

Archived