Brewer Fanatic

Aguilar time to do something

benji
Forget about what he is or isn't doing offensively, he can only play one position and he's not even very good at that one position.

Yah that is the real kicker. Saying Aguilar has been "fine/solid" and then said data field shows a .700-.750 OPS is not really a strong argument in his favor. To have any positive value at 1B with his defensive limitations he needs an .800 OPS AVERAGE....not pushing .800 OPS when he is on a blazing hot streak and .600 OPS in his slumps.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about risk/reward. If they can get a stretch out of him even close to his first half of 2018 it would be huge. Just not much downside of having him on the roster for now. When Hiura returns, they can give up on him then. Or, they can go with 12 man pitching staff for a couple days, maybe theres an injury to a posirion player, etc., to extend having to make a decision on him.

Many gave up on Thames long ago. Its worth the exercise to see if Aguilar and/or Shaw gets hot. At least until the break. Plus, they wont need to trade for a bat at the deadline. Not much amo in the system to trade, and that needs to be used for pitching, if anything.

Verified Member
Its about risk/reward. If they can get a stretch out of him even close to his first half of 2018 it would be huge. Just not much downside of having him on the roster for now. When Hiura returns, they can give up on him then. Or, they can go with 12 man pitching staff for a couple days, maybe theres an injury to a posirion player, etc., to extend having to make a decision on him.

Many gave up on Thames long ago. Its worth the exercise to see if Aguilar and/or Shaw gets hot. At least until the break. Plus, they wont need to trade for a bat at the deadline. Not much amo in the system to trade, and that needs to be used for pitching, if anything.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. Hiura is in house, so if he takes Aguilar's spot so be it. However, I'm skeptical of jettisoning Aguilar and acquiring somebody else who is basically just like Aguilar... a streaky-ish right handed bat that only plays plays first base.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. Hiura is in house, so if he takes Aguilar's spot so be it. However, I'm skeptical of jettisoning Aguilar and acquiring somebody else who is basically just like Aguilar... a streaky-ish right handed bat that only plays plays first base.

I believe the only way they let Aguilar go is when Hiura comes up again. They won't try and replace him with anybody except Hiura.

Freitas is a journeyman but sometimes during the dog days of summer you just try to ride a hot bat for a couple of weeks to get out of a funk and maybe he could do that. Hiura is an obvious callup and really should have been done before this series but now that the Brewers are facing the right handed pitching heavy Reds maybe not this weekend and they give Shaw one last chance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yep, this weekend is it. It's do or die time for Shaw and Aguilar. I know I've been preaching patience with both of these guys, but watching Shaw flail away like a T-Baller last night after he came in for Moose was disgusting. Aguilar wasn't much better, and he's a guy they have depended on this year to face left-handed pitching. The guy the Padres had going last night wasn't the type of overpowering left-hander that Aguilar shouldn't have been able to handle, but he looked lost yet again. I'm not one to shoot from the hip or make rash decisions, but this team is seemingly in a funk right now, and it may be time to shake some things up. Hell, if they don't want to bring up Hiura, there a re plenty of other guys at San Antonio bashing lately, including Frietas, Saladino, Dubon, Nottingham and Spangenberg.

Aguilar's April was little league bad. Then he was torrid for 2-3 weeks OPSing over 1.000 from Apr. 29th to May 17th. Then he was back to worse than horrible for another two weeks, and has stabilized to being okay for the last 2 weeks.

He was not torrid for 3 weeks. He was torrid for 3 games - from April 29th to May 1st. 3 HR in 2 games, then 4 walks in the following. Went 1-1 the next day for an OPS of 2.500 over 4 games.

From May 3rd to May 17th, he had an OPS of .712

I am not Shea Vucinich

Yep, this weekend is it. It's do or die time for Shaw and Aguilar. I know I've been preaching patience with both of these guys, but watching Shaw flail away like a T-Baller last night after he came in for Moose was disgusting. Aguilar wasn't much better, and he's a guy they have depended on this year to face left-handed pitching. The guy the Padres had going last night wasn't the type of overpowering left-hander that Aguilar shouldn't have been able to handle, but he looked lost yet again. I'm not one to shoot from the hip or make rash decisions, but this team is seemingly in a funk right now, and it may be time to shake some things up. Hell, if they don't want to bring up Hiura, there a re plenty of other guys at San Antonio bashing lately, including Frietas, Saladino, Dubon, Nottingham and Spangenberg.

Aguilar, I've already come to the conclusion he's expendable. I was thinking he'd get maybe through the next week or so but if his fate were decided earlier it wouldn't shock me.

Shaw has had 4 ABs the last 2 games, all strikeouts. Not a great look but prior to that his numbers were trending solidly in the right direction. I'd hate for these most recent 4 ABs to smother that progress too much.

I wonder if Perez is safe? Great jack of all trades guy but as the saying goes, master of none. He's a bit of a luxury. There are guys in AAA that could fill in for the things Perez does, it might take more than one but they can shuttle them if needed. I love his personality and role with the team but I'd rather lose him than Shaw. Plus he could have a little trade value as a Swiss army knife piece, and whatever value that might be it wouldn't be skewed by slumping numbers like Aguilar or Shaw.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Perez can't go simply because he's the only one who can play SS. He likely isn't going anywhere this year.

Dubon could.

I wouldn't totally rule out an Arcia demotion again at some point if he doesn't get it going.

Perez can't go simply because he's the only one who can play SS. He likely isn't going anywhere this year.

Agreed on Perez. Aside from the fact that he can play any position on the field and provides a solid, if unspectacular bat, there's the fact that Counsell seems to adore him. Saladino and Spangenberg are very similar-type players, but swapping Perez for one of them would probably be making a move just to make a move.

Perez comes across as a fun-loving but very intelligent, thoughtful player. That's why it's sometime painful to see some of the undisciplined at-bats he puts up. I think other than his often poor plate discipline, Counsell sees a lot of himself in Perez. He's an "intangibles" guy, and every team needs those.

Dubon could.

I wouldn't totally rule out an Arcia demotion again at some point if he doesn't get it going.

Tough crowd. Arcia was hitting over .260 less than three weeks ago.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Dubon could.

Tough crowd. Arcia was hitting over .260 less than three weeks ago.

Well, he's hitting .239 now and is nearing his career OPS mark of .667.

It's not that he's terrible. It's just that he's got options, he's a below average SS and they have 2 guys who can play SS having really great seasons in San Antonio that it wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a boost there.

After watching Shaw last night, I think Aguilar's 25-man roster spot may be safe and Shaw is a pretty good candidate to be optioned. Just totally unexpected that a player could be an everyday guy for two seasons and slash .258/.347/.497/.844 and go into his age 29 season and completely lose it at the plate.

I figured the latest date that Hiura would lose Super Two status would be June 24, but it's just a rough calculation and the date might already have passed. I fully expect Keston to be back within the next week and right now would have to think that Shaw, not Aguilar, will be the odd man out.

After watching Shaw last night, I think Aguilar's 25-man roster spot may be safe and Shaw is a pretty good candidate to be optioned. Just totally unexpected that a player could be an everyday guy for two seasons and slash .258/.347/.497/.844 and go into his age 29 season and completely lose it at the plate.

I figured the latest date that Hiura would lose Super Two status would be June 24, but it's just a rough calculation and the date might already have passed. I fully expect Keston to be back within the next week and right now would have to think that Shaw, not Aguilar, will be the odd man out.

If Shaw has options, it's an easy switch. Send him down and have Hiura up soon when he can be recalled and is out of Super 2 range.

When do we cut Cain too?

Optioning guys like Shaw and Arcia is an entirely different conversation than talking about moving on from expensive veterans.

Which is a good argument for keeping as much flexibility on your roster as far as optionable players as possible.

When do we cut Cain too?

They can start worrying about that after their roster no longer includes corner IF's who hit like pitchers. IMO Cain is going to benefit from the AS Break, I'd have preferred he be put on the 10 Day IL or given a few days off after the couple games he crashed into walls and fouled a bunch of pitches off himself. Seem like he's been playing with dings alot this season and his struggles at the plate show that.

I agree that Cain needs to right the ship, but frankly there are much bigger areas of concern with the roster that need to be dealt with first.

When do we cut Cain too?

Are you aware Shaw has options, has an OPS like 100 points lower, and doesn’t play nearly the defense Cain does?

Oh. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Aguilar, I've already come to the conclusion he's expendable. I was thinking he'd get maybe through the next week or so but if his fate were decided earlier it wouldn't shock me.

Shaw has had 4 ABs the last 2 games, all strikeouts. Not a great look but prior to that his numbers were trending solidly in the right direction. I'd hate for these most recent 4 ABs to smother that progress too much.

I wonder if Perez is safe? Great jack of all trades guy but as the saying goes, master of none. He's a bit of a luxury. There are guys in AAA that could fill in for the things Perez does, it might take more than one but they can shuttle them if needed. I love his personality and role with the team but I'd rather lose him than Shaw. Plus he could have a little trade value as a Swiss army knife piece, and whatever value that might be it wouldn't be skewed by slumping numbers like Aguilar or Shaw.

What good would it do to let Perez go just to bring up a guy from AAA to fill his spot? They need a guy who can play SS if Arcia goes down. Plus Perez is a very good 5th OF. Shaw or Aguilar will go when Hiura comes up.

When do we cut Cain too?

Are you aware Shaw has options, has an OPS like 100 points lower, and doesn’t play nearly the defense Cain does?

I think Brew4U's point is that for a board that typically prides itself on not overreacting to small sample sizes, there is a lot of wailing over YTD 2019 numbers while ignoring everything else.

Dubon could.

Well that's a different discussion than what we were having here in regards to getting Hiura back up. Still, yea I don't foresee them giving up Perez's massive flexibility this year. Could for sure see it in the offseason as he gets more expensive though

Archived