Brewer Fanatic

Aguilar time to do something

benji

Starting Grandal at first was telling to me. I think its time to have a conversation with Aguilar about him agreeing to get at bats in AAA. Can they send him to AAA on the MLB contract if he agrees to doing it? Or would he still be exposed to waivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point I don't have much hope for him ever getting back what he had in the first half of last year. I think it's time to go with Garandal and Pina against lefties and Thames/Shaw and Grandal against righties. It's just a matter of when they are ready to call up Hiura again.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The ship may have already sailed with Aguilar. I had the safe day for Hiura's Super Two ineligibility as June 24. But we should be very close to that deadline, no doubt the Brewers have someone in the front office calculating service days for all players and may have already concluded that the Super Two date could be a few days before June 24. Unless the Brewers are convinced that Hiura needs more work defensively (-30.4 UZR/150 indicates that's a real possibility), I expect Hiura to be called up during the next week. So if nobody gets hurt, who else would lose their 25-man roster spot other than Aguilar? And even if Aguilar has a good 4 or 5 days, will that be enough to save his job?

The Brewers could elect to go with a 12 man pitching staff, but with pitching staff problems and the way Counsell uses the bullpen, it's pretty unlikely they go with 12 pitchers for any more than a game or two.

Certainly starting to look like Aguilar may need another player to get hurt to save his spot on the 25-man roster. Either that or hope the Brewers are really uncomfortable with Hiura's defense.

Have to think the Orioles are watching this situation pretty closely. Would have to be a pretty easy decision for them to pluck a 600k player off waivers and just bump Mancini back to a corner outfield spot while giving Jesus a solid 3 month audition for their first base job.

Too early to judge Hiura’s defense with that metric. Also I am not sure it accounts for shifting well enough either

Definitely a ton of noise in a defensive sample so small & I don't think anyone expects Hiura to be -30 with the glove, but I think what he showed in his limited MLB time fit the scouting reports.

I'd put the likelihoods for Hiura's future defensive metrics around (10%) consistent +5 or greater, (45%) zero to +5, (45%) below zero. If he hits like he is supposed to he can probably be around -10 & still end up a 4ish WAR guy.

As for Aguilar, gotta think his time is just about up. If he doesn't clear waivers, I hope he can figure it out with whoever picks him up so people can say we gave up on him too soon.

It shouldn’t be hard for the Brewers to pick up a veteran right handed hitting 1B or 1B/OF from a non contender without giving up too much. It wouldn’t take much to be an upgrade over what Aguilar has been giving the Brewers and they’re running out of time to give him more chances to find his swing.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Aguilar has been a part time player the last 4 weeks. 10 to 12 ABs a week isn't going to move the needle much unless he somehow gets white hot at the plate. Writing's on the wall.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

rosters expand to 26 next year. most clubs would be willing to stash aguilar on their 25-man for the rest of the season just to get to 2020.

if he's struggling like this in 2020 as the brewers' 26th man, then he gets cut.

His reputation as a great clubhouse guy will likely buy him a few more opportunities.

I agree that this is a factor. Being a good teammate and well liked in the clubhouse matters in ways we as fans can't understand.

We saw it last year when Arcia was optioned. Players were somewhat openly unhappy even though he was not producing at the plate.

His reputation as a great clubhouse guy will likely buy him a few more opportunities.

I agree that this is a factor. Being a good teammate and well liked in the clubhouse matters in ways we as fans can't understand.

We saw it last year when Arcia was optioned. Players were somewhat openly unhappy even though he was not producing at the plate.

I don't, he isn't even getting an opportunity let alone more. He has started 6 games in the last 28 days. He is just a guy on the roster and I am not sure why the Brewers haven't gotten rid of him, but it seems clear they don't really care for him anymore. They also don't seem to care if he gets going or not anymore either.

I don't, he isn't even getting an opportunity let alone more. He has started 6 games in the last 28 days. He is just a guy on the roster and I am not sure why the Brewers haven't gotten rid of him, but it seems clear they don't really care for him anymore. They also don't seem to care if he gets going or not anymore either.

"Intangibles" aren't the only or the biggest factor in roster decisions, but I do believe they play a factor.

Example: the Brewers could have optioned Shaw and kept Hiura up with the team. The recent performance would have totally justified that decision. Some fans/radio hosts were calling for this to be the move. But track record, relationship of players to management, clubhouse dynamics, etc all likely played into the decision.

Ultimately Aguilar won't stick around the entire season just because he's a nice guy. He will need to perform at some point and they're likely coming up on that decision if he doesn't show some consistent signs of life soon. I just think there are many things that play into roster decisions and not all of them are on field performance.

[sarcasm]At least they've already gotten past his bobblehead day[/sarcasm]

I think Aguilar is a better hitter than Shaw and I have more faith into returning to something useful than Shaw. That being said he has some factors working against him.

1. Shaw is going to be able to face alot more lefties than Aguilar is going to face lefties

2. Shaw is going to get alot more at bats period and a better chance to break out of the funk than if Aguilar plays one or two games a week and pinch hits

3. Aguilar replacement is playing decent (Thames), while Shaw doesnt have one since Hiura is riding a greyhound bus to Biloxi or wherever

4. Aguilar can only really play first which is probably the biggest thing hampering him getting another chance.

I wont be sad if Aguilar goes but I wouldnt be surprised if he went somewhere for nothing and hit well the rest of the year.

Shaw on the other hand. We will see

Verified Member
Aguilar's April was little league bad. Then he was torrid for 2-3 weeks OPSing over 1.000 from Apr. 29th to May 17th. Then he was back to worse than horrible for another two weeks, and has stabilized to being okay for the last 2 weeks.

I personally think we're way overplaying the small sample size game. My guess is that you can cherry pick a one month ish sample size from just about any semi-regular position player in baseball during the course of a season and find a

900ish OPS.

For the course of the season, Aguilar has obviously not been very good. Hopefully he can get that turned around now while there's still time.

Verified Member
I personally think we're way overplaying the small sample size game. My guess is that you can cherry pick a one month ish sample size from just about any semi-regular position player in baseball during the course of a season and find a

900ish OPS.

For the course of the season, Aguilar has obviously not been very good. Hopefully he can get that turned around now while there's still time.

Sure. You could say that the small sample that was his incredibly anemic start to the season should be fully put in the rear view mirror and we should judge him based on his most recent 1.5 months or so.

Forget about what he is or isn't doing offensively, he can only play one position and he's not even very good at that one position. The way the team is currently set up he's only going to play against left handed pitching and even then they've been using Grandal at 1st and could start Perez there too. He's not really hurting them roster-wise (unless you think he's keeping Huira in AAA, which is an understandable argument) but it's to the point where his 25 man spot might be better used on someone like Saladino.

Archived