Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion traded to Yankees for Juan Then

adambr2
Community Moderator
He was never coming to the NL. We don't need a DH.

He's played almost 400 innings at 1st this season. More than either 1B on our roster.

The only reason EE plays at 1B is because Vogelbach is even less of a 1B than Encarnacion. The Mariners are the worst defense in baseball by far. They have about 5 DHs playing the field. I know defensive WAR is a bit uncertain it isn't easy to be a part-time DH and still pile up -15 career dWAR and be well in the red for 10 years in a row.

Nothing about Encarnacion fits into the Brewers playbook. We want to get into a bidding war with the richest team in baseball over a 36-year old 1B/DH that hasn't played in the NL in over a decade???

I'm thankful Stearns has a keen awareness of opportunity cost.

Community Moderator
The Yankees demoted Clint Frazier to make room for Encarnacion. I have a feeling Frazier is going to be speculated about in a lot of Yankees trade rumors over the next several weeks.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

He was never coming to the NL. We don't need a DH.

He's played almost 400 innings at 1st this season. More than either 1B on our roster.

The only reason EE plays at 1B is because Vogelbach is even less of a 1B than Encarnacion. The Mariners are the worst defense in baseball by far. They have about 5 DHs playing the field. I know defensive WAR is a bit uncertain it isn't easy to be a part-time DH and still pile up -15 career dWAR and be well in the red for 10 years in a row.

Nothing about Encarnacion fits into the Brewers playbook. We want to get into a bidding war with the richest team in baseball over a 36-year old 1B/DH that hasn't played in the NL in over a decade???

I'm thankful Stearns has a keen awareness of opportunity cost.

It would have been for 3 and a half months. It's a small sample size, but EE has graded out as a better defensive first baseman than both Thames and Aguilar in 2019, and far better than Aguilar.

I think you're pretty strongly overstating the defensive factor of not making that move. It would have been a 3 and a half month rental and our current 1st basemen are defensive hacks already. We're not talking about replacing Paul Goldschmidt's glove here. The defensive difference between Aguilar and Encarnacion the next 15 weeks is probably negligible at best.

The Rockies had interest, and they're an NL team. I think our lack of interest probably stemmed a lot less from defense and a lot more on just being pretty payroll strapped. It sounds like Seattle's main goal was simply dumping payroll and the Yankees were willing to take on the most.

Community Moderator
I refuse to believe the lack of interest on the Brewers part was due to being payroll strapped. They will gladly take on >$7.5 million this summer when the right move(s) come along.

Archived