Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion traded to Yankees for Juan Then

adambr2

Stearns is asleep at the wheel. We desperately need a right handed power bat and could have had Encarnacion dirt cheap. Nah let's keep hoping that Aguilar gets going which I would be shocked if it does in fact happen.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Yankees have acquired Edwin Encarnacion from the Mariners.

No word yet on the potential return package for the Mariners. Despite missing the past three games with a back issue, Encarnacion currently leads the American League with 21 home runs while slashing .241/.356/.531 with 48 runs scored and 49 RBI. From a fantasy perspective, it's a major upgrade for Encarnacion both in terms of home ballpark and supporting cast.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Jun 15, 2019, 8:56 PM ET

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mariners will receive prospect Juan Then from the Yankees in exchange for Edwin Encarnacion.

The 19-year-old right-hander hasn't pitched yet this season, but owns a 2.67 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 98/26 K/BB ratio over 111 1/3 innings in his minor league career. He's still several years away from being big league ready, but has a projectable frame and massive upside with a mid-90s fastball, a plus changeup and a developing curveball.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter

Jun 15, 2019, 9:11 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stearns is asleep at the wheel..

That's hyperbole. I imagine Stearns is exploring every angle and possibility. Just because he doesn't get the players we want doesn't mean he's not trying. There's always reasons trades do or don't happen, and most of the time we don't hear the why.

Wonder what the financials will be. Surely the Yankees are paying some of that salary as well as the player.

The Rays paid the Mariners 5 million dollars as part of the three-way deal that ended up with Encarnacion moving from Cleveland to Seattle. Note that the Rays paid the Mariners 5 million dollars, not the Rays are paying Encarnacion's 5 million buyout. Based on what's been reported, Seattle has that money.

Encarnacion has a 20 million salary this year and a 5 million buyout (20 million salary) next year. Mariners had played 73 games, 45% of the season, so Encarnacion has roughly 11 million yet to earn. It's being reported that the Mariners are going to pick up roughly half of Encarnacion's remaining 2019 salary. So I'm assuming the Mariners are going to pay Encarnacion 5.5 million for the remainder of this season, and the Yankees will pay Encarnacion 5.5 million for the remainder of this season and likely pay the 5 million buyout for next season unless they can find a way to fit him in. So if what's being reported is accurate, this cost the Yankees 10.5 million dollars and Juan Then.

Not sure he would help our pitching staff.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We need pitching but this would have been a perfect add. I think they have the solution in AAA but they seem unwilling to go that route. Offense isn't going to keep them out of the playoffs but will be the pitching which is horrible and in need of four or five arms.

Verified Member

I'm skeptical that EE can keep up his current pace.

I think we have the pieces in house. If Pina can OPS better than .700 like he has for the previous 3 years, our best lineup might be Grandal at 1st and Pina behind the plate. I'm not sure if we can upgrade the actual baseball talent from Shaw, Aguilar, Hiura, Grandal, Thames and Pina. Carlos Santana intrigues me, but there aren't a whole lot of other guys who are available who are obviously better than what we have.

Stearns is asleep at the wheel..

That's hyperbole. I imagine Stearns is exploring every angle and possibility. Just because he doesn't get the players we want doesn't mean he's not trying. There's always reasons trades do or don't happen, and most of the time we don't hear the why.

Patience is a virtue. He who hesitates loses.

It could be either one.

We’ll see what Stearns ends up doing over the next 6 weeks, to improve the team. He certainly has the patience. I’m sure he’s got numerous scenarios to contemplate. A lot of the possibilities probably are expensive prospect wise and those are just deals he’s not gonna do unless he’s exhausted all current avenues.

The EE trade to the Yankees, is disappointing because of the fact it’s mainly a money issue, imo, but it’s just a guess and I could be proven wrong by moves forthcoming. But don’t discount having EE for 56% of the season as opposed to 33%. Yelich-EE-Moose, that’s a tough middle of the order to pitch to.

Its very discouraging that we didn't make this move. We need another right handed bat and the only position where we can make a move like this is first base. Encarnacion was the right handed power that we really could have used to balance the lineup along with Hiura and the price was cheap in terms of prospect capital.

Its quite possible that the Brewers' leadership just didn't see a good match personality wise with Encarnacion and the Brewers. Or perhaps they are setting their sights higher? Who knows? I can assure you that the people saying Stearns is asleep at the wheel are wrong, though.

Maybe cheap in prospect return, but the 5.5 million the Brewers would have ended up paying Encarnacion this year would very likely have eaten up a big chunk of money the Brewers could use to pay pitching acquisitions instead. And then the 5 million buyout next year, on top of a 2.25 mutual option buyout for Grandal and 3 million dollar mutual option buyout for Moustakas...puts the Brewers over 10 million dollars of dead money for 2020.

This would have been a luxury move the Brewers really didn't need to make. Brewers sit 6th in the NL in runs per game, 12th in starter's ERA and 10th in bullpen ERA. If Stearns is making financial and prospect investments, it sure looks like those investments need to happen on the mound.

Maybe cheap in prospect return, but the 5.5 million the Brewers would have ended up paying Encarnacion this year would very likely have eaten up a big chunk of money the Brewers could use to pay pitching acquisitions instead. And then the 5 million buyout next year, on top of a 2.25 mutual option buyout for Grandal and 3 million dollar mutual option buyout for Moustakas...puts the Brewers over 10 million dollars of dead money for 2020.

This would have been a luxury move the Brewers really didn't need to make. Brewers sit 6th in the NL in runs per game, 12th in starter's ERA and 10th in bullpen ERA. If Stearns is making financial and prospect investments, it sure looks like those investments need to happen on the mound.

I agree that the pitching is a far bigger problem than the offense but the offense is still too lefthanded and needs a right handed power threat to balance things out and first base is the only place to make that move.

The Mariners are quitting so call and get Santana back. I hated giving him up and he has played well. Move Braun to first this year and next and put Santana in left. Add Hiura at second and all of a sudden lefty pitchers have a problem.

As for the "the Brewers are too LH heavy", that's not really true. Yelich and Moustakas both OPS .900 or better vs LHP and don't need to be platooned at all. Braun historically hits really well vs lefties. Perez hits to over an .800 OPS vs lefties. Grandal is better vs RHP, but has been fine vs LHP. When Huira comes up, he will be another righty bat.

This is imaginary problem that doesn't need to be solved.

He was never coming to the NL. We don't need a DH.

He's played almost 400 innings at 1st this season. More than either 1B on our roster.

And his career high is 698 innings in 2013 when he was six years younger & posted a -8 DRS/-4.2 UZR.

Between limited defensive utility, the financial cost & really only needing a RH platton bat at first, not a full time starter, I can understand why Stearns & company decided to pass on EE5.

Archived