Brewer Fanatic

Petricka traded to Rangers - PTBNL or Cash to Brewers

JDBrewCrew

Wow, I just looked at his recent AAA number. He looks to have found something, he's been nothing short of dominant lately. I wonder how good the return will be for him.

Petricka's recent performance in AAA means nothing IMO. In 2018 he posted a 0.78 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 23 AAA innings. He first got to AAA in 2013 and over his career is a pretty amazing 1.36 ERA/1.04 WHIP AAA pitcher. He seems to be the textbook example of a AAAA player. Just has never been able to find solid success at the MLB level. At 31 years old, he have to be a heck of a late-bloomer to finally find it but it's happened before.

I don't mind that the Brewers dealt him and he seems like a pretty reasonable pickup for the Rangers. The Rangers shouldn't really be in it, but here we sit mid-June and the Rangers are in the second wild-card spot. Would be way too risky for them to make a big move now because they probably still think the potential to go down is much greater than the potential to go up. But make 2 or 3 cheap moves like this early, perhaps strengthen the bottom of the roster a bit, and if the team keeps playing well over the next month and is in a good position mid-July, then maybe go out and add and reward the players and please some fans. The Rangers are working way below payroll levels that they have had in the past, so they should be in pretty good shape to add if that's what they elect to do.

Wow, I just looked at his recent AAA number. He looks to have found something, he's been nothing short of dominant lately. I wonder how good the return will be for him.

Petricka's recent performance in AAA means nothing IMO. In 2018 he posted a 0.78 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 23 AAA innings. He first got to AAA in 2013 and over his career is a pretty amazing 1.36 ERA/1.04 WHIP AAA pitcher. He seems to be the textbook example of a AAAA player. Just has never been able to find solid success at the MLB level. At 31 years old, he have to be a heck of a late-bloomer to finally find it but it's happened before.

I don't mind that the Brewers dealt him and he seems like a pretty reasonable pickup for the Rangers. The Rangers shouldn't really be in it, but here we sit mid-June and the Rangers are in the second wild-card spot. Would be way too risky for them to make a big move now because they probably still think the potential to go down is much greater than the potential to go up. But make 2 or 3 cheap moves like this early, perhaps strengthen the bottom of the roster a bit, and if the team keeps playing well over the next month and is in a good position mid-July, then maybe go out and add and reward the players and please some fans. The Rangers are working way below payroll levels that they have had in the past, so they should be in pretty good shape to add if that's what they elect to do.

By definition, AAAA players would be solid big league contributors if they had ample opportunities

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

By definition, AAAA players would be solid big league contributors if they had ample opportunities

I don't think most people see the definition of a AAAA player that way. According to Baseball Reference, a AAAA player is a player who is an outstanding player at the AAA level but always has trouble succeeding at the major league level, either because of a lack of one of the five major tools or bad luck.

Yeah, the opportunity thing can be luck, but there is more to it typically. Guys like Brad Mills and Aaron Wilkerson are great examples of AAAA players. Petricka might actually have too much MLB time to be considered a AAAA type.

Other than with high end prospects, I've generally stopped even looking at AAA numbers for anyone because it just doesn't seem to mean anything at all. David Freitas has just been destroying AAA pitching for awhile. Saladino has to be near the top of the PCL in homeruns. Wilkerson just dominates in AAA.

Well I guess that answers something – they’re deadline sellers :)

Seriously though, couldn’t he have been put to use instead of Taylor Williams returning.

Yeah they need to move on from Taylor Williams. He's gotten repeated chances and just doesn't command at the major league level.

Guys like Brad Mills and Aaron Wilkerson are great examples of AAAA players. Petricka might actually have too much MLB time to be considered a AAAA type.

If 26 innings is enough to make Wilkerson a AAAA player does that mean Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff (last year's beginning version) are all AAAA also? I think 26 innings might be premature.

Archived